Bisexuality - Ever suffered prejudice within the community?

Posted (edited)

Depending on what time you're reading this, tomorrow is Bisexuality Visibility Day (23 September) and if you've not seen the latest article 14 myths about bisexuality busted? then have a read.

The article got me thinking and remembering my own experiences. Although I identify as a gay man I still sometimes get backhanded comments from gay guys when I say I had serious sexual relationships with women in my past. At the time I thought that their reaction was down to the fact that they thought that bisexuality wasn't 'serious' or I was just 'experimenting'. I was after all, gay. I was in my twenties when I was seeing women and had a happy two year relationship as a result. I don't think I was 'confused' or 'experimenting', I loved this person. What surprised me the most was the reaction not from straight people but from other gay guys who thought I was 'letting the side down'.

So my questions is: considering we're making progress on LGBT issues, do you feel that there's still a lot of prejudice within the gay community towards bisexuals?

Below is a great vintage-stlye short video taken from the Bi Visibility Day website that'll hopefully raise a chuckle, but it does make you think. If you're on Twitter, take part in the Big Bi Tweet 2014 to raise awareness.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-4w6NqfLAc#t=56

Edited by Deleted Member