just to get the word out there.... - Lesbian Ladies

Posted

I am posting this in nearly every group I'm in just to get the word out there, so sorry about the repeats. I know not everybody in this group is from the U.S.A. but here goes....

I have recently been reading a lot of sad stories recently about workers who will have to be working on thanksgiving due to an earlier start on black Friday. It's a shame when you can't enjoy the breaking of bread with loved one's on holidays. We already have so few holidays that EVERYBODY gets to enjoy because of blatant classicism in this country. To anybody who is following the occupy protests this is even more poignant because big corporations are at the heart of this matter. How do you fight against corporations? One word BOYCOTT. I've been thinking about this before. This is one of those instances I think Americans need to stand up and tell corporations that they care more about spending time with their families then getting their next status symbol at a bargain price. Most of us remember the incident at Walmart, what was it 5 years ago? Let's end this materialist nonsense and spread the message to our corporate overlords...you do not command our hearts and minds and you are not going to take our holidays away from us. Let's keep thanks giving a celebration of the most precious thing of all, family and friends. If you believe in this please repost.

Posted

I asked to work on thanksgiving. I am thankful i get to. I dont need thanks giving to be thankful for my wonderful family. I tell them everyday. So i work and get paid time and a half woot woot!

Posted

you kind of missed the point, it wasn't just about the holiday but about how the whole thing is a symptom of how materialism and greed are ruining our society. You have the choice. You don't have to celebrate thanksgiving to appreciate your family, I agree. However we don't ever celebrate anything in this country we just shop.....Halloween isn't celebrated anymore, nor is valentines day really. Holidays just really suck. If the classism and greed don't make you thing there is something wrong with this country then what will? Will we have to work everyday of our lives until you realize that this rich gets richer poor get poorer model where the corporations are trying to enslave us, nay succeeding, doesn't work? We don't even celebrate anything anymore.....not really. at least that's how I feel. Other countries have plenty of holidays where they just celebrate life, I wonder what would happen if one year we refused to "buy" anything holiday related and just celebrated holidays how they were originally meant to be celebrated. It's not about particular days, or rituals. It's classcism because the poorer half doesn't get to celebrate, and have in fact given up and decided there's nothing about life to celebrate.

Posted

that's how I feel.

Marisa_Diniz
Posted

its the price we pay for living in a Capitalist society i think, although im not in America here in England its preety much the same, its like they've been brain washed to such an estent they don't even realise that we are treated as numbers instead of individuals, i think i know where u coming from ....althou i think the holidays are the least of our conserns it does serve as an example i agree.