Michael_Wolfe

Please pray for the family and friends... - The Gay Christian Network

Michael_Wolfe
Posted

PLEASE SHARE THIS STORY AND LETS HELP STOP THIS.....
Jamey Rodemeyer, a 14-year-old boy from Williamsville, NY, took his life Sunday after what his parents claim was years of bullying because of struggles with his sexuality.

His parents, Tracy and Tim Rodemeyer, say that Jamey faced bullies for years, though things intensified in middle school, according to NBC 2. Jamey recently became a freshman at Williamsville North High School.

In the wake of their loss, the Rodemeyers hope to carry on a message of anti-bullying and acceptance. "To the kids who are bullying they have to realize that words are very powerful and what you think is just fun and games isn't to some people, and you are destroying a lot of lives," Jamey's father told WIVB.

Tracy Rodemeyer misses her son, but hopes the loss can still be used to teach a message of tolerance. "It took him away from our family way too early and we're just convinced that he had a purpose on this planet and it was to touch as many people as he could," she told NBC 2.

According to NBC, the Rodemeyers had gone to the school about the problem in the past. Jamey even sought counseling to learn to deal with the problem, but it seems it wasn't enough.

While they say their son seemed happy in the days leading up to the tragedy, his "It Gets Better" YouTube posting from May includes details about how intense the bullying was.

Through it all, Jayme remained outwardly optimistic. “That's all you have to do. Just love yourself and you're set. And I promise you, it'll get better,” he said in the video, which you can see in full below.

Gay bullying has been gaining increasing attention in the media, as a number of tragedies has brought the issue into the spotlight. Earlier this month the California State Senate passed "Seth's Law" a measure designed to curb anti-gay bullying in schools.

Need help? In the U.S., call 1-800-273-8255 for the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline or visit stopbullying.gov.

Posted

Oh God Michael, Jamey is in my Prayer's. Oh this is so upsetting for me

Michael_Wolfe
Posted

I know what you mean and we need to spread the word..I have also post this on my facebook page too...

Posted

Michael, I wish we could stop it. Laws aren't the answer. My God, how long have the civil rights laws been in effect now and racism is just as strong now as it was in 65.

The secret is to disconnect kids from their parents, their peers, and the bigots who run the world. This is something that will be overcome through understanding and knowledge.

I lived with this bigotry in my family all my life, and it continues. It is prevalent throughout our schools and society in general. The cure comes from inside the individual and not from outside sources.

Young people are so susceptible because of the peer pressure that pushes them down. They have to know it will get better, and we need to teach these kids how to handle the pressure of being called a fag, queer, or whatever hateful words may belay them. Dealing with that will stop the senseless loss of life and perhaps even educate those doing the deeds that it doesn't work.

NO law is going to curb hate. I appreciate the efforts, but think about who is doing this. It is there peers. They don't care about laws. They are mimicking parents and others in their actions. We need to support these kids as we found a way around it when we were young. This is not a new phenomenon, but the majority of us found a way to survive until we could get out of the situations causing the problem.

We tell these kids to be yourselves, but when they do, we don't offer them anything... anyway to deal with the pressures of being themselves. I'm counselling 3 kids and one adult now on just this problem. I think we saved one kid from the rope, but he is still tenuous.

Help them help themselves. That is the answer, not for just now, but their whole lives.

Posted

That's great reading Patrick, God if u can save 1 person from Suicide it's the biggest Bonus in ur life. So Patrick my Hat Is Off 2 U

Jean-Yves_Poirier
Posted

I am so sorry for what has happened to your family. The loss of a child is so overwhelming. We must stop bullying now.
Sincerely, Jean-Yves Poirier

Michael_Wolfe
Posted

My hat off to you also Patrick

Posted

As much as I appreciate the compliments, I can't take credit for any of it. I offered to listen and they talked. I love Skype. We have made a lot of headway, but until we as a community realize being Out and Proud isn't the answer, then we are doing a terrible disservice to these young folks. We must give them the guidance to handle the pressures, the stigma which comes from being Out and Proud.

I would hope each of you would adopt a kid, if they will have anything to do with you (they think because we are there we are chicken hawks), and really make a difference in their lives. Show them how you survived and how they can do the same. Whether it is moving to a larger city, away from family and friends until they can deal with the "announcement" to getting them to know how to come out. You can make an impact on someone's life, just as sure as Dr. Phil and make their lives a bit more ... livable.

The only way to stop the bullying is to carry a bigger stick. In our case that stick is education and acknowledgement of what a person will go through when they are out.

Michael_Wolfe
Posted

So very true Patrick I too have learn alot about this discussion and how some people think..I wish I knew how are what to do about getting skype...That is one reason I get alot of message in my inbox here...So thank you for your comment and advise...I know that God will watch over you and bless you as you help the young adults...

Posted

Tanx patrick, again i agree with Michael, these poor young guy's really must feel so trapped and 2 think of them bottling up all the stuff they want 2 get out there. I would only love 2 be able 2 talk 2 a young guy on line or through a message and under supervision if that is needed, 2 help him through his young life untill he is old enough 2 understand and stand up for himself. There are so many of them out there with no one 2 talk 2, and cant see a light at the end of the tunnel. They need 2 talk 2 another gay Youth, just like an Alcholic need's 2 talk 2 another Alcholic as that's the only way their programme work's for them.

Posted

This kind of news over and over infuriates me to no end. My prayer are with his family and how I wish that maybe gays.com can create and maintain a safe haven JUST FOR YOUTH! They get hit on and bullied here which only leaves them all the more vulnerable to the outside bullies, away from safe sites and places that have very little monitoring or care.