Michael_Wolfe

Music - Gay Guys! <3

Michael_Wolfe
Posted

Who was around when Disco was hot......

Andy_Walker
Posted

I was. I ran nightclubs in the 1970's 80's and way before the internet I used to travel to London and LA to grab the latest stuff on vinyl.

Michael it weighed a TON, but eventually we were the first in Australia to play that amazing disco beat.

Robert_Connors
Posted

that was the way it was ,that was the best times of my life hands down fuckin the greatest I may not look the look but I do clean up very well LOL

Posted

Ya was Great, ABBA done it 4 me, + Pet Shop Boy's, Frankie Goes 2 Hollywood etc.

Andy_Walker
Posted

Does anyone remember "Dead or Alive"? Pete Burns and "You spin me around".

I saw a very disturbing doco about him recently and his completely fucked-up cosmetic change of face, AAAARGH!

You can find him easily on You Tube.

Richard I am with you. Abba, Pet Shop Boys, Frankie and others are still iconic stuff. More recently there a number of great groups around who give a passing nod to these amazing Disco trail-blazers, Empire of the Sun, Mica, even Lady Gaga.

Andy_Walker
Posted

I am with Richard here. ABBA, P.S.B &Frankie are all icons. I admit to still jiving around listening to them all.

There are, however, some contemporary artists who shake a nod at these people....Empire of the Sun, Mica, even Lady Gaga to name just a few.

Disco will never die!

Andy_Walker
Posted

Oh I forgot....how about Patrick Hernandez ( a one-hit wonder) and "Born to be alive"....fabulous stuff.

Posted

i was around

Robert_Connors
Posted

duran duran I loveed there stuff and George Michaels he was hot was in love with him bifferent thing who remembers " IN LIVING COLOR" that used to be my fave program Shinayna man I used the laugh over that " I'M RET TO GO "

Michael_Wolfe
Posted

Let not forget Sir Elton John...Now he made me dance.....

Andy_Walker
Posted

Michael, I recall bringing one of the first copies of the double album "Yellow Brick Road" back to Australia from London. No-one had really heard Elton here and of course it went on to become an absolute smash hit #1.

Benny & the Jets, Daniel and all the rest of them.

It was also about the time of Don's American Pie and Bob Dylan's Hurricane. Perhaps you also remember Joan Baez and Nina Simone who also had obscure but fantastic albums out at about the same time.

Andy_Walker
Posted

George Michael and Andrew Ridgely from "Wham!". Now if your gaydar was not switched on back then, revisit the video clip of "Wake Me Up Before You Go-Go" and tell me that it is not one of the campest things you have ever seen !

Michael_Wolfe
Posted

LOL...So true...Andy

If you didn't know about gays then you were in the closit to far...

Andy_Walker
Posted

Not to mention Boy George & Culture Club, or Pete Burns & Dead or Alive, or Marylin....I used to have hysterics at all the straight guys jiving along to these seriously Gay groups and they had no idea about the gay thing ! Very funny times.

Do you recall the amazing nightclub "Heaven" at Charing Cross Station? It was run by this dude called Steve Strange. I became great friends with a group that used to perform there called "The Tourists".

They of course went on to become "The Eurithmics", - Annie Lennox & Dave Stewart. Now there is some awesome talent !

Robert_Connors
Posted

I liked Boy George Too alittle much on the fem but one hell of a singer though cool shit Andy the eurithmics

David_Dubber
Posted

Hi Andy,

Lived in London in those days and used to go to Heaven very very often. Great days.......it is still there but people tell me not nearly what it was (shame)

Michael_Wolfe
Posted

I like this we are having a great discussion here guys..Keep it up...

Does anyone remember Studio 54 in New York back in the days....

Posted

@robert,yeh boy george fantastic voice

Andy_Walker
Posted

Yes David, I was in London not long ago and was surprised to find Heaven still exists. It is now pretty daggy and straight, nothing like the "Good Old Days" (God, I sound so freakin' OLD !")

Annie lives in Paris now, and I caught up with her very briefly. She has had a pretty rough time, but still writing if not performing or recording at the moment. I have no idea where Dave is, but believe he is doing OK.

Robert_Connors
Posted

heard of it but we had 3 clubs here in fla in Ft Myers and key west ,Lauderdale fun, fun times I loved to dance and my partner @ the time could dance too we used to empty the floor when we got going LOL one hell of a dancer he was