Dominique_Joan

I've lost motivation to write poetry... - Poetry Group

Dominique_Joan
Posted

Even before I ever got a girl with whom I fell in love, I used to LOVE writing poetry. I'd write when I was super happy; I'd write when I was upset; I'd even write to make my friends feel better. I adore all types of art; whether it's music, painting, dancing, etc. I just want some advice on how I can get back my motivation. If you have any, please let me know /:

Posted

it happens to the best of us. It 's funny, I am going through so much right now and i can type up a poem in nothing flat. And even when I feel good too. Sometimes when I have gotten a writers block I just sit down and just start writing anything that comes to mind no matter what is is and it sometimes gets the juices flowing again. Sometimes our lives are so busy we don't feel we have time to reflect.
This is important to take sometime for yourself maybe. Go for walks, watch an inspirational movie that gets your mojo moving again, gets your thoughts going, even a movie that is about sad or controversial things can stimulate the brain. Or read a book, even the bible can help.
But sometimes we need some time off to re-organize ourselves and try to remember what your life was like when you were writing well and see how you can find some place that may fit in your life now. I did not write for years and it bothered me because I thought I lost it but it came back better than ever. When your feeling in the mood to write just start jotting things down and don't worry about it making any sense. You might surprise yourself. Good luck!

Posted

they attack me to then times of silence got to love poem attacks..

Erin_M_Ballantine
Posted

I, also, have been struggling with writer's block for almost two years now. It frustrates me, but I try not to focus on it too much. I just write when I can, and when I have nothing to write I just ramble about my surroundings. Frequently I end up with a page full of "trash", but I think just the act of organizing words on a page gets me that much closer to getting past the blockage.

It is INCREDIBLY frustrating, though. I wish their was a magic solution.

Do you think there was a change in your life that has caused this block?

Posted

Good question Erin for Dominique. I lost my urge to write when I was so busy raising my family and running a successful business but it still bothered me when I wanted to write things and it just did not flow well either. I also had issues with my mother at the time too.

Posted

well a couple things I could suggest. Immerse yourself in nature. If you do not journal or have stopped try journaling daily. Don't hold back this is for only you to see let the writing pour out dont worry about spelling, etc. Try this exercise take something and describe it vividly using sensory writing. Describe it with the senses taste, touch ,smell, etc. Also listen to music other creative people. I find listening to songs helps spark my own creativity. On a side note if you have had depression for more than a six month period you may want to schedule a assessment to see if there is a bigger issue. Hope that helps.

Carmen_Lin
Posted

i agree with raymond's suggestion...by immersing yourself in nature you can do meditation as well cause when we meditate we can clear up the invisible block that we had set up subconsciously besides, the lost of inspiration/ motivation is due to the surroundings.. the best poet or writer is those who are able to produce great works in the worst state of living environment. Don't be affected by what other's say or do ...just do what you feel like ^^

Posted

right now be poems of heat stroke

Erin_M_Ballantine
Posted

Oddly enough, I have had writer's block pretty much since moving to NYC. So, I can say that it is not for lack of inspiration - beauty abounds in the great city of NY. Likewise, the ugly side of humanity also abounds in NYC. Some times, I think that is actually the problem. Perhaps wrapping my head around a city which can all at once house some of the most beautiful and amazing people, places and things and at the same time contain so much suffering, hatred and anger) is a challenge I have not been able to tackle. The paradox that is NYC is brain twisting.

Fortunately, I seem to be (slowly) moving past this block. Finally putting into words the ideas that have been kicking around my head for the last two years. It's slow, though. It has taken a lot of work and forcing to get the tap flowing again.

Posted

I can imagine Erin. I like Raymond's ideas. Wrap your self up with what can make you feel wonderful along with inspirational. The ocean used to do it for me but lately it has been a good movie.

Dominique_Joan
Posted

Wow. Well, I've moved. The move wasn't too recent. It was more toward the end of 2009. But after that, I began to not write as much...

Erin_M_Ballantine
Posted

That's kinda what happened to me. It wasn't immediately after I moved. It just kinda tapered off, and then I just stopped and couldn't seem to write anymore.

Some times reading a really well written book, or a book of really good poetry helps me. Some times listening to music I really like for the lyrics helps. And occasionally reading a really bad book inspires me cause I think, "if that person can call themselves a writer, why can't I?"

I am still struggling with the writer's block, though. Right now I am actually working on a play, but I keep hitting a wall with it. Poetry has been even harder. I don't know the last time I wrote a full poem that I though was worth sharing with any one.

I think a part of it is just making time for writing, too. Maybe it's a matter of fitting it into your schedule in your new place.

Or maybe the block comes from not being settled fully. I have had a hard time feeling settled here in my new place. I think it is hard to open up and write if you can't settle in and feel safe and secure in your new location.

Just throwin' out some ideas, so don't take them as based on any research or anything. They may be more applicable to my situation than yours since I don't know yours very well.

Posted

Okay Erin you gave me an idea. Went and goggled getting help with writers block and here are some suggestions I found:

Free associate. Sometimes a writer's tendency toward perfectionism stops him dead cold in his tracks. Give yourself 15 minutes to be totally free of your "inner critic." Set a timer and start typing - write whatever pops into your head, even if it is total gibberish, a shopping list, words that rhyme - whatever. The idea is to get your creative juices flowing. Some writers do this exercise every day before they begin writing.

Read the work of your favorite writer. There is nothing like inspired, well-composed prose to make you want to pick up a pen (or put your fingers on a keyboard).

Think of your project as a pizza - eat one piece at a time. It is overwhelming for any writer to see a big project as a "whole" immediately. Start with one small section. When you finish that piece, you will feel encouraged to move on to the next.

Exercise. Go for a brisk walk around the block, do yoga, ride your bike or use your treadmill whenever you feel blocked with your writing. Physical activity increases the blood flow to the brain and releases nervous tension.

I like those. I think I will copy those to my word and keep them when I get writers block again.

I do remember wanting to put the right words down. The other day I wrote a review for this movie on Netflix and I was not sure how to figure the movie out because it was a movie that was quite a puzzle but I did not like it at first but the acting was very good; so as I wrote my thoughts down and went through the movie in my head I was finding my thoughts were changing and actually figuring out what the Director was trying to show in the symbolic parts of the movie. I read it and re wrote it about 4 times and then found the answer to why he did what he did and it was quite genius except I do know about dreaming and he did not do enough research there because if he had the movie would have connected better to the audience but it was a very clever movie. It was called "Lulu on the Bridge with Mira Sorvino and Harvey Keitel.

Read more: How to Get Rid of Writer's Block |
http://www.ehow.com/how_18024_rid-writers-block.html#ixzz1TogqTXoL