Warwick_Clough

Homosexuals being beaten because we're gay. - Gay Guys! <3

Posted

I was only made fully aware of this when i saw some scum bag kids watching clips of it on youtube a few weeks back. The the other night i was called to a 999 incident where one of our troops fought back and kicked the living daylights out of the offender, unfortunately it was caught on cctv and i had no option but to arrest the gay youth. After looking at the cctv myself i fully understood the self defence plea, however the good old british crown prosecution service decided that the force used by the youth was far more than reasonable. Therefore the gay youth has been charged with Grevious bodily harm and afray. All because he stood up to a homophobe, it's at times like this when i question our judicial system in which i myself work for.

What do you think?

Shaun_Latimer
Posted

well the law at a certain point was founded and controlled at one point by religion and we all know religion isn't keen on gays, so there might be link there

Posted

At least it is beconing ,so they say,a more open subject.In my youth ,you didnt just get beaten ,a good thrashing weas light punishment.I have grown up to be very discrete and very careful.It is not so long ago in my lifetime that you could be put in prison for this so called "offence".Homophobic behavour shopuld be treated i tyhe same way as racism...severe punishment...jusy wonderif it will have a reverse effext though

Homer_Bozarth
Posted

when will the law be fair? when will there be a law to protect gays? the cops are protected by laws that state that no one will hurt cops, and if a cop is hurt then the person that hurts the cops goes to jail and/or prison. when will there be a law that will read, if you hurt a gay person then you will go to jail or prison? i would like to know????

Posted

never Homer

Homer_Bozarth
Posted

there should be a law but there is not a law so who decides what should be a law and what should not be a law????

Posted

The "gay" people in Parliament or government might help'Or am I being cynical

Glenn_Macdonald
Posted

I have to agree our system of law is totally messed up when people defending themselves from attackers and people who defend their property from robbers are the ones who get punished.
Our system of law is illegal against out civil rights !!

Posted

There are many duties that officers have to carry out, don't get me wrong 99% of the time it's fair, but i agree that people should be able to protect themselves. I truely believe that had this gay youth not defended himself the way he did, he would have been more severely beaten. I attend scenes outside of gay pubs and clubs on a regular basis where hetrosexuals are name calling and being otherwise verbally abusive to the gay community, only thing is they don't realise they are clearly saying it infront of the wrong person and end up getting themselves nicked for it. However the only law that allows us to arrest such individual or groups is section 5 public order, i believe like Robert said, that Homophobic comments should be underwritten by the same law as racism and carry a heavier penalty. But all we do is get them down the nick, caution them and let them back out.

Glenn_Macdonald
Posted

I don't mean this in any negative way but we live in a society where we can't stand up for ourselves whether verbal / physical etc without the worry that we would get punished ourselves.

Andy_Walker
Posted

If I am not mistaken, you are all in Britain. Here in Australia we have slightly different laws, an anti-discrimination policy, and heavy penalties for these. Self-defence is highly regarded in our courts.

I was seriously bashed back in 2006, not because I am gay, but I was just a walking target for a drug-fucked lunatic who wanted money. The court took the position that it was a homophobic attack,, and jailed the guy and I received compensation.

It is a strange world.

Posted

The underlying thing in most cases is a bit like the smoking/no smoking arguments.Those most against seem to be those who have either given up or are afraid it for some reason.How many guys are frightened of their feelings and therefore take a big stance against.Statistics( a horrible subject)say that more than are open about these feelings hurt others because of fear within themselves

Posted

to me, it's the great flaw of human justice, where those doing what is perceived to be right is often viewed as wrong. it's a dreadful clash of perception in which someone always suffers. it goes to show the flaws in justice systems, but for now, it's the only thing that's effectively preventing tragedies from happening. i'm in no way saying that this was the right form of judgment, but this is a price to pay for safety, i assume. i just wish it could have been a smaller price

Posted

Don't feel bad about the Judicial system of the UK, It is the same way here in the USA.... Too little time a self defense plea works here! I have a master degree in Criminal Justice, and I have a mayor in the British Judicial System, and to tell you the true I prefer the British Judicial system over the USA one, and I work for the the USA Government.... So go figure!

Andy_Walker
Posted

Vlad, I am only familiar with the British Justice system (pretty antiquated) and the Australian equivalent. As for the USA...it all sounds very dodgy to me!

It seems to me that here in Australia we all get a fair hearing and self-defense is a viable argument to which the court will listen. I think we are comparatively very lucky "Downunder".

Homer_Bozarth
Posted

i am in pendleton, oregon usa andy

Posted

Andy, The USA (Due Process), Judicial System comes from the British Judicial System (Common Law), with many modification through the years. The problem is that even tho Self Defense is an argument that can be used in a USA court of law, it is very difficult to prove it even if the evidence proves beyond reasonable doubt that in fact the act were committed in self defense. Prosecutors will do whatever they can to bring down the Self Defense Argument and many judges will not fall for that....

I am glad to know that at least in Australia the Self Defense Plea is taken in consideration, and that at least the court will listen to the plea!!! Hurray for the Ussies!

Tach_Chew_We
Posted

i live in the usa and in my state we do have laws on this just like we have laws on cyber bullying . we forced out state govt in to making laws we dont want anouther matthew shapard ,

JJ_NN
Posted

be glad you don't live in Nigeria or Ghana or one of the other african countries............if you are gay there they can put you in jail without any problem.

or Iran, they will hang you!!!!

believe me it can be much much worse than here in the western countries.

JJ

Andy_Walker
Posted

All points taken. Interestingly being gay in China attracts the death penalty, but as far as I am aware that law has never been enforced.

Posted

I am astonished as to how many comments the subject i started has sought. As a police officer myself here in the uk understandably i have to be very careful on what i say incase my views and comments are construde as being biased policing. I deal with gay and straight people exactly the same, no matter if i believe that the gay person is in the right or not which makes me what i believe to be a fair person of the law.

Michael_Wolfe
Posted

I was beat up a few yrs back and when the cops came and found the guy who did it he came right out and said it was because I act gay and he hates gays..He was arrest and ended up in jail for 18 months..
I saw the guy here about 6 mos ago and when he relize who I was he started again saying things that was not right and in a store..The store manger throw him out and when I went out side he try to attack me..He just didn't get to hit me because of another guy step up and beat the shit out of him..he was arrested and I went to court for him aand told the Judge what happen and the guy who started yelling and saying the things he said was then arrest and put in jail by the judge and all charges to the guy who stood up for me was drop..
The guy is serveing another 18 mos. for what he try to do and for probation violation..the last thing the judge said to him is that he hopes that he relize what he has done and learn from it...
I thank God for all of the people who came to the courtroom and told the judge what happen..To make my point is this stand up for your rights and make sure you have people behind you that will do the same thing..
Did not mean to rant about this but we as gay people need to let our goverment know that we vote and we want things done too...

Andy_Walker
Posted

Michael....your story is not uncommon. The world is full of idiots who simply never learn.

I have a theory that "gay abusers" are actually scared because they have gay tendencies themselves, and that they over-compensate, usually in front of their friends, to try and prove how straight they are by bullying out, gay guys like us.

To be cynical, I bet he is back in jail, enjoying "bending over to pick up the soap", so to speak. Quite sad, really.

What do you other guys think?

Michael_Wolfe
Posted

Thx Andy I do hope that he meets up with a big guy who bends him over....

Andy_Walker
Posted

I would take a guess and say that he loves every moment of it....