what is everyone's though on the new bible version? - The Gay Christian Network

Posted

I can't give an opinion yet, since I'm still reading my NIV. But they're no longer printing it anymore. They church leaders have decided to update the bible.
Anyone know anything about this? Opinions?

Susan_Duviella
Posted

I didn't even know there was a new one. I just googled and found a site talking about this new bible edition that was put together by close to 50 scholars of all faiths.... I didn't read too much, but what I did read was not something that interested me at all. I don't like the idea of "changing" anything. The bible has been changed too many times already. Besides, I have other issues with this but will refrain from sharing as I do not want to offend anyone. here's the link to the site I found....... http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/41873135/ns/today-books/t/new-bible-edition-changes-words-booty-holocaust/
I'm sure that if you do a little more searching, you may find something better.
Good luck.

Posted

Well, amazingly enough, I have to agree with Susan. They made a big mistake with the KJV, but the others have been a blessing. NIV, has been my Bible of choice. IF they will go back to the original text, at least as much as can be deciphered, and put into English, it would be welcomed.

I'm going to check on the site she recommends and see what they say.

Susan_Duviella
Posted

When I have more time, I will probably do some more research on it, but I am with Patrick. I would be more interested in a bible that was put together as closely as possible to the original text. Too many interpreters choose words that don't necessarily keep the original meaning of scripture, just the words they believe would be best suited. I don't think that changing words to modern day usage is the best way to go as even today we use words incorrectly and just one word can change an entire sentence; thus, change it's meaning.

Posted

New Bible didn't know there was a new one

Laura_Springate
Posted

hmmm new Bible eh? Well, I think I'll probably stick with my trusty NRSV - hasn't done me wrong yet!

Susan_Duviella
Posted

@ Paul, the site is really cool and I have the book too. I think it's a good book with good information. I haven't had the opportunity to finish the book yet, but so far I like it.

Paul_Clevett
Posted

Yes I think it's pretty helpful, some of the stuff is pushing it a bit I think but at least it gives an alternative view.

Susan_Duviella
Posted

I too think there are some things that I may not fully agree with, but as you said, it is helpful. I generally don't take everything I read to be all truth because much of what is written is a mixture of truth or fact and a mixture of the what the author believes to be true. Everyone has his/her own interpretation of things. This is why I believe it is so important [at least for me] to pray about what I read and let the Lord guide me into His truth and not someone else's truth. I hope that makes sense. I do believe that the Holy Spirit will guide us and teach us in the right way if we allow Him to and remain steadfast in our prayers and in our relationship with the Lord.
I find many people to be helpful and many literature to be helpful, but the bottom line is what I feel the Lord helps me with in what I learn.

Posted

Thanks for everyone's input. It has been very educational. I totally agree with @Susan...in the end it's between you and the Lord. That's the bottom line.
God bless all of ya and may we all continue to walk strong an tall in HIM!!! =D