Valerie_Wassam

equality? - Lesbian Ladies

Posted

today while i was working i heard some one call another person call some one a faggot. it made me think, "how come its ok people can yell homophobic slurs but racial slurs can get you in deep shit?" you can sue some one for call you a racial slur right? i dont get why its not like that for gays. it makes me so mad when people say "thats gay" and im like hello im standing right here. maybe i should start yelling out racial slurs to people who say "thats gay" think they'd catch on? nah i don't think so.

Posted

It seems for quite a while now when people say 'gay' it doesn't always mean homosexual. Gay for most people just means bad or stupid. Like people say stuff like "Stop being gay!" It doesn't mean the person is gay and they should stop it. It means they are talking nonsense.

Calling some one the N word it a bit different since you can only call African people that word.

If some one knew you were gay and started teasing you about it then I guess you can report them.

jessicazylee
Posted

it's already catching on, unfortunately.

just look at "that's so lame"

...lame used to refer to people who were handicapped and unable to walk.

Posted

@leanna
yeah i knew that but i feel if some one uses gay to describe something bad or stupid that means they think gay people are bad or stupid
@jessica
i never thought of that before but that is a good point...

jessicazylee
Posted

anyhow that's why we got to speak out when people do use it. ask them what do they mean by using it.

also people tend to get embarrassed [read: defensive and/or confrontational] when they're called out. so i usually say it as "hey i know you dont mean to put people down and u just mean to just say it's stupid... but i just wanted to point out that when u say that, it puts down an entire group of people as well"

Posted

good idea, i hate being confrontation at all so its hard for me to do sometimes :/

Posted

I even say "its so gay" without thinking..I'm slowing cutting down though! I think whats worse is straight up being homophobic like "Rug muncher" " Carpet muncher" "Dyke" all those name. I think thats horrible and racist!!

Posted

I even say "its so gay" without thinking..I'm slowing cutting down though! I think whats worse is straight up being homophobic like "Rug muncher" " Carpet muncher" "Dyke" all those name. I think thats horrible and racist!!