you are a good christian if you go to church every week? - The Gay Christian Network

Posted

surely you can be a good christian by following the ten commandments, go to church at least once every month and love your neighbours

but what do you guys think, is it essential to go every week to church

i myself have made a vow to go at least once every month x

Christopher_Teh
Posted

yes..i did go to church at least once or sometimes may be twice a month,it is a vow between god and me,i felt so touchig for god what he teached us and obeyed his commandments, be kind and humble to our neighbours......thanks Sophie !

Posted

That's right!!! When we go to church we'll be more strong... I try to go at least every weekend....

Christopher_Teh
Posted

besides,praising God is one of my favourite,i enjoy to hear gospel hymns...gregorian chants as well, what's your point of view for being gay like us...is any contradiction to our religion ? what u think of it ?.....my friend Ivaldo..

Posted

no..i pay at home,i go to church wen i want to.i pray wen i walk,,out in town,god will hear wereever we are!,

Christopher_Teh
Posted

u were right...Andrew, i have viewed your profile and know little about you....u r such a faithful follower.... take care always and god bless....

Posted

You are a good Christian if you show God through your actions and words. In my opinion He doesn't keep attendance, yes fellowship is important, however, it is just as important to spend one-on-one time with God.

I'm unable to make it to church as I don't have a car and it's not safe to watch but I participate in online bible study and watch sermons on television or online when I can.

Posted

no,i do not believe that--the church is not God's temple,your body is,says so in the bible(that is my belief anyway).Also,Andrew is right,God doesn't only hear you if you are in a church,he hears you everywhere.I do my bible study and praying at home,because there are so many backstabbers,gossipers,and rumor-tellers in churches(not all are that way,but alot are),that judge others by just looking at them or because of their sexuality.Judge not lest ye be judged the same.I feel I am closer to God doing the reading and praying at home,and sometimes going down a quiet,rarely-used nature trail and talking to him,thanking him for all the beautiful things he has given me and everyone and for the life he has given me-not many people do that.Not saying my way is right or better than others,it is just the way I do it

StuartLacey
Posted

i def agree. regardless of what you believe (of faith you choose to follow), its always beween you and the faith you follow.

However...........

The church, temple, etc etc regular attendence or meeting with other believers helps you grow in your chosen faith. by mixing with like minded people, helps you understand and join in with the joys and troubles others have. to give and recieve support if you need it.

You and god is def the main aspect of christian faith. The personal relationship you have with god, is what helps you grow as a person and a christian. Remember the church is not "God", just a building where believers gather to share the message and the love that god offers to all.

(i think i may have just said what everyone else has said, but in a different way - hope it helps though) :-)

Posted

the church has given me no help in all my 20yrs of ill heath,even tho isaw the priest and as i was gay he said he wanted to change me,when i was about to have major heart surgery,,i used to be a regular sunday church goer before that,,so i find my faith in myself and visit a church when i feel necessary now,,,in the empty church i pray when i need him,,i pray goin about my eveyday life,to be let down by the catholic church in this way i found improrable......sorry stu i find your contradicting youself in your messge,,but each to their own,,,

Ryan_Siriwardene
Posted

I dont think Stu is contradicting at all.

God is everywhere not just in the church. I was taught the kingdom of God is within us.

I go to church every weekend because I want to and love to. Being a Catholic, if you get a good priest that interpret the readings in a way and engage the congregation its like WHOA!

I sometimes go to different Catholic Church just to mix it up and make the experience exciting every Saturday instead of falling asleep with my regular church.

I dont see why its everyone's business to know that I am Gay. They should like me who I am not my sexuality. Anyone that tries to judge me, I do not associate with as they are not worthy of my time.

I am sorry Andrew F the church did not give you help when you needed them the most. There are all not like that. Maybe the priest are but not all church goers and certaintly not anyone who has joined this group.

I am not saying everyone should go to church because they should, I am just sharing how I feel awesome after the service and cant wait for next Saturday. If you like praying at home and wherever or participating online, that is all right with me.

Always do what you are comfortable with, dont be a sheep :P and do what others do. Understand why you have been put on this earth and forget what other do!

Hey Libby I might jsut take up on your idea and also paticipate online with bible studies sounds like fun!

StuartLacey
Posted

Hiya andrew.

i think i get why you say i'm contradicting myself.
briefly i'll try to clarify.

you don't have to go to church to be a christian as being a christian is between you and god. the church building is not god. so prayer etc can be done anywhere.

but in addition to your faith and relationship with god. i personally found it more helpful and comforting mixing with other christians via church and other church led groups.

with what you said about your priest. as ryan said, not all heads of churches have the same view regarding someone being gay. so if you really want to maybe you could find a gay friendly church.

me personally, i haven't really been to church since realising i was gay because of conflicting views about being a christian and being gay. i should however make clear. from my point of view, i now believe in many things or take them on board. i still consider god to be at the heart of everything but probably not as strictly as some christian believers.

i do know that growing up, i did find the church i attended a great comfort and prayer with god the same also.

i will end with this. remember you can be a christian without going to church. also remember god work's by using those best suited for the situation e.g. other people. have you considered, the fact that you are not happy with your priest that maybe god is trying to help you be more tolerant of ignorance towards being gay. and or trying to guide you to somewhere else. be it a church or other suitable group maybe :-)

Posted

it wasnt just one priest tho,,thru out the past 20yrs i have wanted help from the church,I have asked different churches and priestd for help,,but got nowhere,i find solitude and peace when a mass is not being held and pray or sit there in reflection,,
I dont like the company of lots of others now..i didnt like it before,,so i take my faith and add other bits of other faiths into my own faith..and there i have a near enough great christain,buddist etc faith,,i cannot explain on here properly and im not going to a mass just for the sake of it
i get alot of dirgotary remarks from people that used to be in church...so im not not going,,yes the church isnt god,,but its a place of solitude refkection and peace for me..i find i can be near him there,,but only on a on e on one with him..im happy as i am now..i have lots of problems ans prefer to do it it my way,,and alot of gay guys dont want to know you if ur christian,,disabled as i am,,depression,anxiety ,,ive had too much health probs to get into all this,,im just voicing my opinion and i get told to do this that n the other,,thanx

Posted

Church has nothing to do with you salvation or anything religious. Remember what a church is. It is a group of like thinkers, IE followers of Christ in this group. "Where two or more are gathered in my name..."

A relationship with your Creator, is between you and that entity. That has been the fallacy for me and the Catholic Church and the forgiveness by a priest... last rights, etc. These are, to me, simply a feel good ceremony so that the person can feel sanctified. However, if that is how one was raised, then it has value.

We talk that the church has done nothing for me.... etc. WE are the church. The church does not exist without the people. So, if we get nothing out of it, then we put nothing into it. Simple as that.

Christopher_Teh
Posted

i think Patrick Cardwell comments quite reasonable....i agree that. thanks again Patrick

Posted

You are welcome Christopher.

Posted

I go to church every week now. I have been accepted by some people now and had lunch this weekend with the more accepting ones. I would miss it if I did not go. Anyway, the church is not a building - it is the people inside the church that make it what it is. I believe that I am a christian only because I have a relationship with Jesus and that is what is important. I never look at people as they always let me down. I now only look at Jesus- the author and finisher of my faith. He will never let me down. Hang in there- God will find a way for you.

Ryan_Siriwardene
Posted

@good stuff peter

Christopher_Teh
Posted

yeh,peter....be tough n strong...remember that God is ur all n all....amen

Posted

Thank you for your support. It does make a big difference. I will stay strong. God is my all.

Posted

I havent been to Church since 1970 since being thrown out for bieing gay. It is nice for those who find comfort in the right place, I have never found this, I still have a faith, but it does not mean much without sharing it with others, and I have not foundthis yet.

Posted

You can always be a believer in your own way, not being a Sunday morning christian doesn't mean anything, believing in Jesus and having him in your life and keeping him close to your heart is what makes you a Christian, not going to church, praying, or even preaching about God's existence to your peers, those are just things that many Christians choose to do.