Rod_Bell

Ageism: how can gay/bi men stop ageism within the l gbt community & outside of i - Gay Guys! <3

Rod_Bell
Posted

Ageism: solutions to problems within and problems with the rest of the world? Not all of us want to join NAMBLA http://www.NAMBLA.org
Why is age so important? Should older& younger people of the same sex be more than friends? Or even friends?

Join in & let's talk thisbout!

Posted

Rod, can you tell us more what you personally mean by "ageism"? I have my own sense of that but I realize that your definition may be different. I wonder if it is not so much a matter of "stopping it" but trying to understand it better? Like with racism, more communication can make a difference. Most "isms", as I see it, are rooted not so much in thoughts but deep feelings that have not yet been explored.

Posted

AURGH NOT AGAIN.

Will post in more detail when I have the energy lol.

Posted

calm down Nick...lol...as i've asked before...why are you guys posting up this same topic all the time???...i kid you not...i think since i've been on this site...this topic has been repeated 5 times...i mean i can already see Nick gettin frustrated because he's repeated his opinion on this so many times...maybe you should skip this one Nick...i'm sure people got your point from the previous discussions...you don't really have to answer them all...lol...

Posted

Have to say this topic has been discussed in depth already,i agree with Jony and Nick on this one think this topic is done

Posted

"i'm sure people got your point from the previous discussions.."

That's the thing - they won't. It'll just get swamped under the new stuff. I want people who might just be joining to see the less fashionable side of the argument and make up their own minds. So long as there are people listening, I'm going to keep talking.

(Unless someone ultimately ends up convincing me I'm wrong, in which case I'll say so openly.)

(And if I have time and energy. lol.)

Rod_Bell
Posted

What I am calling ageism are examples like this: guys who are not 18 cannot consent to sex, but can vote, but in most places can vote & serve in the military. I'm also talking about stereotypes: younger gay men are flighty, make rash decisions & are not mature enough to have a relationship. Forv"old"guys, like me, we are horny, always after sex with younger guys, are sometimes called "creepers" because some view it as creepy for an old guy to hit on young guys. These are just examples.

Posted

Hi Guy's, well i am in a relationship with a guy and the age gap is enormous, now this is purely just a lustfull relationship, (no under age stuff), he live's near me and when the mood hit's either of us, well it only take's a text and we meet up 4 sex. We love it. And if either of us decide 2 have a serious relationship with someone else both of us will understand.

Tach_Chew_We
Posted

well where i live you have to be 18 to vote and i thought thats the way it was in the usav now its 21 to drink alchol and ahe of concent is 16 here with a 2 year vearance thats the laws in my state each state has there owne laws on concent

Homer_Bozarth
Posted

age is just a number. so whats the problem?

Posted

Nick, I am new here and appreciate your persistence! I do not always completely agree with you, yet I like pondering what you have to say and the further conversation it sparks. I do not see you as "know it all" like that guy suggested on the other thread. I see you as someone who as a lot of passion for your perspective! Thanks for writing.

Posted

When I was in my teens and early 20's I used to hitch-like all the time and even back and forth across the country! Hitch-hiking was a very common thing in those days. There were times when older guys would hit on me and it would feel "creepy" because they were just being weird in the way they were doing that. At other times, older guys were completely respectful of me. They would tell me what they wanted, but in a way that felt fine to me.

When I felt uncomfortable, this was not because of the generality of "ageism", it way because of what was happening in the specific situation.

Posted

well i see your point NIck...& well apparently this will be an on going discussion that will be repeated over & over...

Posted

Rod, I do think it is valuable that we become more aware of stereotypes, which is in a sense what an "ism" is. I appreciate you bringing this topic up, as I have not seen earlier threads about it. As I see it, the way to get past stereotypes is more communication and specificity and I like the fact that this is happening here. Jony, this may be why this conversation goes on an on.

Jimmy_McClellan
Posted

Remember that one time i said something about you queens beating a dead horse...

Posted

At 16 I can have gay sex in UK, but I cannot get a drink in a pub!!

Posted

lol, you all talk like this is going to chnage the world, yes most see the young not capable and the old is to straight forward, but you know what i agree, and yes there is a few they comes out and shows different but come on people. this "discussion" sounds like moaning cat. I can make a descussion how they should let kids into clubs at 16...

Posted

I do not see this discussion as being about changing the world. But for those of us who are engaging here in a reflective way, it can change US and we are part of the world! I am more interested in this topic, than discussions about the legitimacy of the topic. If this sounds like a "moaning cat" to anyone, then why are you reading it? When my cat moans, I put him outside.

Michael_Wolfe
Posted

why are we talking about this topic again....Its been done to death and back...Lets just drop the subject.....

Posted

Big round of applause @Michael, ye i am sick 2 death of it 2

Posted

nobody's talkin about changing the world...i highly doubt the whole world is in this group...let alone on gays.com...besides it's not about changing the world...it's about stating your opinion...

Michael_Wolfe
Posted

And how many times has this subject come up..I count 5 times since I have been in groups and I am really trieed of it..No one is going to change what they say or believe so why start it up again..
I belive before you start a discussion you should go look and see if it has been do...

Antony_Terrance_Parker
Posted

This so true we have done it to death.I have a stubborn side that wont let a particular person keep slagging off all older guys.He is almost making it a hate campaign.

Michael_Wolfe
Posted

I agree

Posted

Jeez, don't beat around the bush - if you mean me, say my name. I'm a big boy - I won't be offended :P

Also (assuming it is me you're referring to) - my arguments make plenty of allowance for older gay guys who don't behave in the way I'm attacking - in fact I offer a solution based on the very ones who don't. They also make plenty of allowance for youngers who don't behave in the way I describe as well. The fact that it ruffles you does not make it a hate campaign.