Respecting other peoples views on their opinion of gay people. - Lesbian Ladies

Posted

The other nyt I was at a little gathering. One of my friends friends was there. No one of this group is gay besides me (confused and not out). She asked my friend if she talked to a girl in their class anymore (who's gay). My friend says no, and her friend said something homophobic. It just pierced a nerve in me or something, I actually felt a bit sick. I asked her straight out in front of everyone "Are you a homophobe?" She says "I dunno kinda" but her remark was discriminative and she was so cruel about it. Its not the first time she asked about the gay girl in my friends class. She was at the house one time and i heard her talking about the way the gay girl dresses.

I wanted to question the life out of her there and then asking her "what she thought was wrong about it" etc. But i just left it. I couldn't even look at her for the rest of the night. I felt so un nerved by it.

Should "we" respect others views on gays even if they are bad?

Samantha_Sayle
Posted

Wow just typed out a big intelligent sounding coment about how respect works both ways then accidently deleted it. Basicaly everyone is free to think what they like but we dont have to respect there views if there disrespectful toward us.

jessicazylee
Posted

exactly. Freedom of Speech cuts both ways... it allows us to hear constructive criticism, but it also allows the idiots to speak. As much flack as people have given ACLU for defending WBC at times, protecting their right to free speech protects ours as well.

However, since this is a high school, there may be restrictions within the school. You may wish to speak to a teacher or a counselor.

Rachel_Kind
Posted

um you don't have to like the girl. But enlighting ignorant ppl can be tough the best way is to trick them into realizing what they said was stupid.

Posted

Jessica were actually in college...thats worse like!

jessicazylee
Posted

well if she does it again or is harassing, check with ur school's student rights and affairs office. depending on your school, harassment can be considered an infringement on your right to education. mind the "depending on your school" part. some schools give you more rights than others.