Writer's block - Writers Nook

Posted

I've been writing a novel for the past year or so but I keep getting writer's block, anyone got any good ideas about how to keep my mind flowing freely?

Posted

I've had a writer's block since I started my new and school-like-college (school kills creativity imo), and while school is going on, nothing I do works. In the holidays however, I tend to do something crazy, something out of the ordinary, try to write about that.
I'd suggest taking your character(s) along many many different paths, something completely wacky and not fitting for the novel, or introducing a character that is completely unfit for the storyline. Just to get your inspiration back, not to actually use in the novel. Or you could go out and do something you normally wouldn't do, or try to completely live into your characters.
Hope this helps a bit, writer's blocks are a pain.

Posted

Thank you so much Melanie, I really appreciate the advice And I agree writers block is a pain and I seem to be able to write much better when I have free time on my hands.

I'll try doing something unusual over the weekend and play around with my characters a bit.

I hope your writers block goes soon

Tim_Armstrong
Posted

something i like to do when i have block is go away and try and find a song to conect with a character/chapter and listen to it over and over again untill it hits me. for example when i was planning the first book in my trilogy of novels i used both Paramore's ignorance and Christina Perri jar of hearts. you also build up a little sound track for your book also :P

Posted

Ah thanks Tim that's a pretty good idea

Tim_Armstrong
Posted

I got this idea (I am ashamed to admit) from Stephanie Meyer, she used music to write the entire twilight series....and we know how that ended......*boake*