Jony_Star

I Just Don't See Why... - Gay Guys! <3

Posted

i've noticed in some recent discussions that people like to make general assumptions about a specific group of people...when in reality gay/bi/straight people are all the same...i don't know why...but i hate reading when people write that straight guys act like this...bisexual guys are like this...& gay guys do this...& all the generalization are always about bad things people do...oh gay guys are really picky & shallow...bisexual guys don't have boyfriends they just have gay lovers...etc...etc...i mean what is the use of generalizing a group of people...aren't we all capable of doing the same things???...sure we're all different in our own ways...but i just don't see why is it that people make these assumptions when they don't even know what kind of person really is underneath...so again i come to you guys for some insight...feel free to share your experiences, thoughts and feelings about the subject...

Homer_Bozarth
Posted

i try to be real and i try to stay away from all the drama that goies with the so called "groupies" i guess i am just a loner. i try to meet guys who are like me but when i dont find any one like me i just stay to my self and keep looking. i love to make new friends but i do not want friends who gossips behind my back. i feel that it is not right and every one is the same even though every one else does not think so.

Posted

Jony, I agree that making assumptions about someone that you do not really know is wrong. I do not have the answer, I just know you as a very good person and a friend.

Tach_Chew_We
Posted

well jont its like this i dont think there making assumptions on what thay see from a groop of people day in and day out there taken it from there experance on what thay seen.as for saying gay guys are shallow i can see that so many ive meet and seen are thay way around here and if thats what i see than thats what i would say about tham, its all on how we see our suroundings and where we live,

Posted

yea well everyone is both the same & different in a sense...@ Wayne...thanks...i always try to be...@ Tachuwe...well i know how people come to those assumptions...some make them based on what they hear...others make them on their own experience...i myself have had experiences w/all different types of people...but i'm not gonna go generalizing everyone saying that i basically know how they think, feel, & act...that's kind of my point...oh by the way...those things i said...i only used them as examples...sorry i forgot to mention they were only examples...but anywho...that's my point...i don't know...it's probably just me...i don't feel comfortable making those assumptions or hearing about them...because the way i see it...somebody's trying to say they know what kind of a person i am...depending on my sexuality...my gender...my clothes...my age...and all those other things that people seem to look at that obviously has no importance...not that anyone has said or done anything...well no scratch that...i was influenced to write this because of something that was written in the BI NOT GAY discussion...& it brought me to create this discussion...but i do thank you for the insight guys...that is the other reason i created this discussion...to learn from another person's point of view...

Posted

Making assumptions and generalization is the quickest way to learn about someone. Sure, sterotypes are horrible, but they're used on a global status. Like, 'All Asians eat rice,' 'Italians like to have fun', or 'Americans like to watch Football'. They're quick generalizations so that when you see someone, you'll already know a little bit about that person.

Sterotypes and assumptions should only be temporary, because as time progresses you'll learn more about the other person and that is what should matter.

I've been sterotyped as an Asian. Though I might look Asian, I feel Egyptian. When I came out, no one had expected me to be gay. I didn't flirt with girls, but I also didn't flirt with guys. Now, people still can't believe that I'm openly gay, because I don't act in a feminism way, nor am I mostly about, 'fab and glamour'.

The only thing that you can do is disprove those sterotypes on a personal level. Of course, people will assume that all gay people are feminist, but one when you show them that you're not, that sterotype goes away. Most people are confined towards those sterotypes, and don't actually realize that they're 100% legit. They're not.

[I feel like I wrote multiple fragmented and run-on sentences. My apologies for that]

Posted

don't worry Tanguy...we're not in english class here...lol...but thanx 4 the insight...

Joshua_Buffalo
Posted

I do alot of reading on social behavior and i've found it's actually human nature to analyze and catagorize differant subjects to get a better grasp on how to interact and socialize. It's a basic survival instinct, alot of people don't realize they're responding to a subconcious defense trigger when they find themselves generalizing things. I find it predictable how some people react to things now, I don't want to make an ass of myself by pointing things out so I keep my mouth shut. I just be myself, as un-catagorizable as it may be to some, and hope to meet others who share the same views.

Posted

I was going to say something similar to what Tanguy and Joshua said... There are good reasons we make generalizations about different groups of people - I have seen them come true so many times I've given up (gay guys being shallow and flakey, bi's having gfs or wives and doing guys on the side, etc), but being an exception to so many rules myself, I know that you can't apply a stereotype to everybody in that group.

Posted

this is all great insight...i guess i understand a bit more now...thanks guys...u've been great...

Michael_Wolfe
Posted

Very good advise guys I don't think I could add anything more to it..