Kirsty_Stimpson

Hobby Writing - Writers Nook

Posted

Hey... Im kinda new to this site, so I dont really know what I'm doing... Ive always loved writing but I dont know whether I'm any good or not... Im a bit of an impulse writer and every time I sit down to write a story, always fiction, it's based on my emotions and what I'm currently feeling, so I only ever write short stories... I'm taking a gap year before uni after summer and was considering taking some time to develop my writing to produce longer pieces, around work... how can i find out if my writing is worth it?

Jon_Buckby
Posted

You could start by putting together a collection of your short stories, creating a narrative by combining short stories might be a possible first step towards producing longer pieces?

Posted

yeah... I think my problem is that I dont sit down and plan my stories, so I cant put sub-plots in easily and end up just not having the material to make it more than a couple thousand words

Jon_Buckby
Posted

how do you usually plan things?

Posted

To be honest, I dont... Something will happen that makes me really happy, upset, angry, anything and I'll just think of a sentence, or a story title or something like that that sounds brilliant and a brief idea of a story to go with it, but I'll just start writing the story, and sometimes it just flows along the brief idea and sometimes it changes entirely during the writing

Zachary_Holmes
Posted

My input may be useless but before i write i get a sheet of paper, i split the paper in to 3 sections. 1/4 of the page at top, 1/4 page at bottom and the middle would be half the page. I already have my rough ideas in my head for the start/middle/end.

I proceed to scribble down my key points and possible plans and ideas and references for my story in the appropiate sections. This way i can brainstorm for hours to solidify my story even better. Its also great for looking back to while writing for inspiration, ideas and to remember things you may of forgotten otherwise.

I use the back of the paper to jot down my characters, i split it 3 ways again, to put them in the section they will be introduced into my story with a short, not detailed description of each character. If theres room on my paper i start with the most difficult part, brainstorming ideas for naming my story and if i want to go all out, naming my chapters. If you can name your chapters it might be best to use another piece of paper and roughly jot down the key points of each chapter.

This is how i plan my stories, this can take anything from 30mins to many many hours, depending how detailed you write your plan and how long your story will be. This will create a great structure for your story to follow and everything flows nicely for me when i do this.

Try stretching your stories out with in depth descriptions of new enviroments and newly introduced characters personalities and how things are perceived from a first glance, then elaborate. Depends how your writing though!

Hope this helps, i don't have alot of experience in writing but thats my view on the matter. Goodluck!

Posted

Yeah... I totally get where you're coming from, and thats definitely similar to something that Ive tried before... I just tend to get too excited about actually getting stuck in...

But I have one story, well, it was a piece of coursework for gcse... I had to write the start of a story and wrote the first three chapters of a murder mystery in low detail... that was a couple years ago and i recently dug it out to finish off but ended up re-writing the first chapter or so adding in detail and tripled the length of it... I think If i can keep going over it, i could really improve it... but theres only so much you can add in after youve already written something :/

Posted

Kirsty some people can write to a sort of plan others just let it flow and see where it goes, both work.

I hear a sentence in my head, or overhear something and it sets my mind going and I have to write down what is in my head. SOmetimes it is just ideas that i work on later but sometimes I have to write the lines, usually of a poem for me.

I have written a few stories and the end never seems to be the one I had worked out, the story takes me somewhere else.

Just go with what works for you, and I have read a poem Steven wrote so what he does really works for him

Jon_Buckby
Posted

Maybe find some reward system for fleshing out work?

Posted

I can't contribute here as much as the others as I'm strictly a non-fiction (magazine) writer; been published but not PAID for it yet...lol.

I use somewhat of Steven's idea. I mentally, at least, lay out an outline. If I can get the "lead" sentence (the Who, What, Where, Why and How...also called the "4 W's and a H")m the rest will flow. For me, the beginning and the end are key (no surprise endings in that it's all TRUTH not fiction with me, however, I always like to have a turn of the phrase that makes for an interesting read, including a twist at the end.)

However, to be frank, I just let it flow from my head...once I put ink to pen. Sometimes I'll realize that I'm going the wrong way and can either salvage a bit of what I've written...or I have to trash the whole thing. Even after an editor works on it, I often find my corrections motivating me to go elsewhere...much to the Editor's frustration (who'll say, "Rodgers, we were editing your CURRENT story; don't start an entirely new one, else why are we editing?"...lol)

SUGGESTION: Join a local writer's group. They are EVERYWHERE. One lad complained there were none in his town in Australia. I googled "Writer's group" and the name of his city: 2 or 3 popped up. They can really be of help.

Also I suggest taking a writing course at a local school, even if u don't take it for grades but "audit" it (sit in.)

GOOD LUCK!

Lea_1992
Posted

I'm just like you Kirsty, I write about dreams I've had and I write what I feel since that's the way I am when I read. I let the story touch my emotions and ride the wave. I just let it all flow. I currently have 2 stories on the go since I like to write things down before i forget them but I'm struggling to motivate myself to write more at the moment since I have university to worry about. It'll come together eventually and I'll probably get someone to read them through to see if I've missed anything or if things can be changed.

Good luck with your stories, I hope you manage to work things out.

Posted

Thanks... I really love writing and would really like to make something of it... the trouble is that Im struggling for time at the minute, what with doingfull time college and 20+ hours of part time work on top of it, never mind homework!! im hoping to really start looking at it in the summer when Ive finished and seriously considering trying to get some productive time to put into it!!

Posted

I see all THREE of us writers have the same problem: I know what I WANT...NEED to write....but "life" gets in the way.

I'm frustrated by my procrastination! GRRRRR!

Jon_Buckby
Posted

find a little time each day when you find yourself doing nothing, or an unimportant activity you can sacrifice to make room for writing, if you watch television then maybe use the time instead for working on narrative?

Posted

not a bad idea. Once u get started, Mr ADD myself, then keeps on going (but not quite like the Energizer Bunny.)