catholic church, don't give up on it - The Gay Christian Network

Posted

I recently moved to a new state. in my first confession I told the father that I was a lesbian but loved the church and wanted to feel welcome. He said "Do u think when you are in that lifestyle you are committing a sing?"
I said no.

He said then why confess it? You are living a good life in your walk with christ. That is what the church is all about.

I was blown away. Have attended as much as possible ever since and no one has looked down on me.

Posted

that is really nice to know

Posted

well i am not catholic but i was catholic and many people don't go to the church because the homophobic things of catholics

Shalom_Lamanilao
Posted

Well, that priest is one very modern priest! Here in Canada, during the height of the gay marriage debate, there were priests who visited our parish and literally, preached hateful things about gays and lesbians! They even spearheaded a signature campaign to protest the civil marriage law that was about to be passed in our parliament. During that time, I was really hurt! Now that the said law has passed, they simply stopped preaching about homosexuality.

Posted

You cannot change people's concepts overnight, priest or publican. Once you find a priest like yours, Cindy, hold on to him. Andrey and Shalom are correct, the majority are ordered to preach against homosexuality, but again ignorance of the Bible by the parishioners is how they get away with it.

If being GLBT is a sin, why didn't Jesus, the main guy in our religion, mention it just once. He didn't and I think Paul's ideas were of man... not of God.

There will probably never be an American Pope, because of our forward thinking on subjects such as this. My religious education came from former priest and his ideals were a bit different than what is taught in the churches around the world. He made us think, study, and put all elements of the time together to come up with what the scriptures actually mean. It was a tough course, but I would do it again.

I think the Church will change and the concepts of GLTB will change along with it., but at 61, I'm not so sure I'll live to see it.

BTW... nice to meet you all.

Pat

Posted

yes he is liberal in some ways but very much traditional in other ways. He is a firm believer homosexuality is something God decided at birth. It seems with the church the have a loser stance with lesbianism than the do with gay men for some reason. It is not fair

Shalom_Lamanilao
Posted

@Cindy: If every priest is like your priest, then change in attitude will definitely happen. However, I always hate it when people put homosexuality as a lifestyle. How can something that is in our DNA can be a lifestyle? Anyway, we'll take we can get, eh? Your priest is right - homosexuality is not a sin!

@Patrick: You're 61? You don't look your age!

Posted

Wow! That is great! You're a blessed girl to have your path crossed with a priest who can accept you and love you just the way you are without judgement. I haven't come across anyone in the "leader" position at church who can say that to me. I have 2 Christian gay friends who is totally accepting of me. We need a LGBT Church in Shanghai. Anyone knows of any? If not, why don't we start one ourself? We don't need an actual "church." Just congregate at someone's house once a week! Give me a holler back if they're are an gay christians living in the Shanghai area! I will be floating on clouds if we can really pull this one off!!! Just to put it out there, I'll open my house up for congregation, as long as there' s people coming!

Gerard_Chang
Posted

that's awesome to have such an understanding priest. As far as I concern, Catholic are very strict with sexuality and they simply deny same-sex marriage/homosexual. I'm not yet a Catholic but is going to be one. Praise the Lord !

Posted

they are not that strict on sexuality are they.!!!! ???.seeing as they bribe victims to keep quiet about child abuse..!!!
in this country the so called cardinal cormack murphy o'connor didnt even report child abuse to the police...preferring to bribe people...and keep it quiet ....

I FIND THAT EVERYTHING I KNOW OF ROMAN CATHOLICISM IS TOTALLY REPULSIVE/ BLASPHEMOUS/ HERETICAL...THE WHORE OF BABYLON....!!!
I CANNOT EVER ACCEPT A ROMAN CATHOLIC AS BEING A CHISTIAN...I JUST COULDNT TWIST MY MIND THAT FAR...