Ryan_Siriwardene

Do you go to church regularly? - The Gay Christian Network

Ryan_Siriwardene
Posted

Hey all

I want to see if there is anyone out there who is Catholic or any other christian denomination and goes to church weekly or bible studies regularly?

Do you feel challenged by others who say it is wrong to be gay?
Do you go to church but feel guilty for who you are?
Do you think you have a special relationship with God and have a right to be part of the religious community?
Do people in your church community know you are gay?
Do you believe so what I am gay etc etc but it is not all of me?

Look forward to your thoughts!!

Tom_Threndyle
Posted

Hi Ryan: In response to your questions:
No. I'm not challenged by others about my sexual orientation. This is 2011. Times change.
Yep, go to church. We all have our own relationship with God. Its unexplainable. Unique.
Yes. Some of them know I'm gay. My church is mainline, but its gay-positive.

Posted

Well I left a church because they think homosexuality is a sin. It was over 3 years ago. Now I go to Metropolitan Community Church and they are accept gay people. The founder of it wanted gay bi, transsexuals have a place to be themselves without feel not wanted by God.

To answer your question. Yes I do attend service every Sunday except the time I move to Oklahoma for 1.5 month.

Susan_Duviella
Posted

Hi Ryan,
I do not belong to any denomination; I am simply a Christian. I had belonged to a couple of churches throughout the years only to be kicked out because of who I am. So, I have not belonged to any specific church in a long time. I have recently moved to a different state and seeking a church that touches my spirit. I have visited one the other day; though the sermon was good, I felt nothing in the church. It was very "traditional" and the prayers were scripted with no feeling behind them as it appeared that they were repeated prayers. I am going to visit another tomorrow. I am praying to find one that will feed my spirit and will welcome me for who I am; a child of God.

&gtI used to feel guilty about who I am only because of what I was taught by man and his misinterpretation of scripture. I no longer feel guilty, but feel confident in who I am in Christ.
&gt I know I have a special relationship with God. As for a right to be a part of a religious community, I’m not sure how to answer that question. I don’t believe in “religion”. I believe in a relationship and I do believe that as a child of God and one who believes, I am a part of the body of Christ.
&gtSince I am new in this area, not many know that I am a lesbian, and I have no reason or thought to hide it. I am who I am, it is what it is; accept me or don’t. God will provide the right people in my life.
&gt I believe that I am a Christian first and I also happen to be a lesbian. My sexuality does not define me, my relationship with the Father does.

God bless you.

Posted

The hardest thing for me to do is to forgive those who hate us in their hypocritical piety and in their ignorance and ignore He who died for every ones sins, and told us not to judge, because by what measure we measure others, will be the standard that they themselves, shall be judged. He also said wheresoever two or three of you are gather there also am I.
The Pope walks around, in flowing white robes, with a red cape (cope) and red shoes, I tell you all here and now. the red he wears is not the precious blood of Christ our Savior and redeemer, but rather the blood the Churches have split in His Holy Name, and as for the white robes and cassock? the innocence lost by the sexual predators, whom not ONLY did the church know about, but hid and protected them, over and over again, throughout the world. We ARE the Church, those of us who really love and forgive, I recall Our Lord's words on the Cross which was not only a painful death but back then, a shameful one as His Mother and St. John stood at the feet, where he bled out upon the earth: "Abba Father, Forgive them for they know not what they do!" Jesus called out with a loud voice, "Father, into your hands I commit my spirit." When he had said this, he breathed his last. (Luke 23:46) ...The Institutional Church and organized Religions would do well to heed His words, that he gave to a rich man who asked Jesus: The encounter between our Lord and the rich man bears out that although eternal life is available by keeping a perfect standard of righteous behavior such as the Mosaic Law, this is not possible with man. So man's only recourse relative to eternal life is to trust alone in Christ alone.

A) [Mt 19:13-14]:

(v. 13) "Then some children were brought to Him so that He might lay His hands on them and pray; and the disciples rebuked them.

(v. 14) But Jesus said, 'Let the children alone, and do not hinder them from coming to Me; for the kingdom of heaven belongs to such as these.'

[So the faith of a child and not his behavior is in view. A simple moment of faith alone in Christ alone is all that suffices to enter the kingdom of heaven]:

1) [Compare Lk 18:17]:

"I tell you the truth, anyone who will not receive the kingdom of God like a little child will never enter it."

B) [Mt 19:15-29]:

(v. 15) And after laying His hands on them, He departed from there.

(v. 16) And behold, one came to Him and said, 'Teacher, what good thing shall I do that I may obtain eternal life?'

(v. 17) And He [Jesus] said to him, 'Why are you asking Me about what is good? There is only One Who is good; but if you wish to enter into life, keep the commandments.'

[If there is only One Who is good: God alone, then how can one be 'good enough' to obtain eternal life: impossible.]

(v. 18) He said to Him, 'Which ones?' And Jesus said, 'You shall not commit murder; you shall not commit adultery; you shall not steal; you shall not bear false witness;

(v. 19) honor your father and mother; and you shall love your neighbor as yourself.'

(v. 20) The young man said to Him, 'All these things I have kept; what am I still lacking?'

(v. 21) Jesus said to him, 'If you wish to be complete, go and sell your possessions and give to the poor, and you shall have treasure in heaven; and come, follow Me.'

(v. 22) But when the young man heard this statement, he went away grieved; for he was one who owned much property.

(v. 23) And Jesus said to His disciples, 'Truly I say to you, it is hard for a rich man to enter the kingdom of heaven.

(v. 24) 'And again I say to you, it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God.'

(v. 25) And when the disciples heard this, they were very astonished and said, 'Then who can be saved?'

(v. 26) And looking upon them Jesus said to them, 'With men this is impossible, but with God all things are possible.'

1) [Compare Jn 6:28-29]:

(v. 28) "They said therefore to Him, 'What shall we do, that we may work the works of God?

(v. 29) Jesus answered and said to them, 'This is the work of God, that you believe in Him Whom He has sent.' "

The rich man did not reach the point of spiritual bankruptcy at the time that he spoke to Jesus as recorded in Mt 19:16-26 and Lk 18:18-27 - he still felt he had something to offer God in order to attain eternal life. Old Testament Scripture spoke of man's inability to offer God one good thing toward eternal life:

2) [Compare Isa 64:6]:

"For all of us have become like one who is unclean, And all our righteous deeds are like a filthy garment; And all of us wither like a leaf,

And our iniquities, like the wind, take us away."

So let's look more closely at this passage in order to bring out further details in this encounter between our Lord and the rich young ruler:

II) [Mt 19:16]:

(v. 16) And behold, one came to Him and said, 'Teacher, what good thing shall I do that I may obtain eternal life?'

A) [Cp Lk 18:18]:

"A certain ruler asked Him [Jesus, (v. 18)] 'Good Teacher, what must I do to inherit eternal life?' "

The rich young ruler, (Mt 19:20, 22-23; Lk 18:18), thought that there was one good work or perhaps a set of good works which he could do in order to get eternal life. He thought so highly of himself that he actually felt that he could offer something to Almighty God in order to inherit eternal life. One cannot help but wonder if the young man had not been within hearing distance when our Lord just got through saying that one must merely have the faith of a child to enter the kingdom of God and eternal life, (Mt 19:13-15).

[Charles C. Ryrie states, "So Great Salvation", Victor Books, USA, 1989, p. 81]:

"He [the rich young ruler] was young, probably early twenties. In the normal course of events he still had most of his life to look forward to.

He was wealthy. Extremely so. Unlike most who spend years accumulating wealth, he already had more than his share.

He was influential. Already he sat with the Sanhedrin, the governing body of his people.

He was moral. Not many knew could even begin to claim that they had kept the commandments all their lives. He made that claim.

But deep down this rich young leader knew he lacked the greatest treasure anyone could have - eternal life."

III) [Mt 19:17]:

"And He said to him, 'Why are you asking Me about what is good? There is only One Who is good; but if you wish to enter into life, keep the commandments.' "

Consider that the rich young ruler was asking our Lord to tell him what he must do to obtain eternal life. One might infer from this that the young man viewed our Lord as authoritative on such matters as eternal life.

Our Lord is setting up the scenario with His response in verse 17 whereby the rich young ruler could come to the conclusion that there was nothing he could do to merit eternal life since "There is only One Who is good." Right after this Jesus said, "But if you wish to enter into life, keep the commandments", indicating that the commandments must be kept unto eternal life. But this follows the statement that there is only One Who is good and can keep them. Evidently the young man did not pick up on this:

IV) Mt 19:18-19]:

(v. 18) "He [the young man] said to Him, 'Which ones?' And Jesus said, 'You shall not commit murder; you shall not commit adultery; you shall not steal; you shall not bear false witness;

(v. 19) honor your father and mother; and you shall love your neighbor as yourself.' "

A) THE YOUNG MAN MISSED OUR LORD'S POINT THAT NO ONE IS GOOD EXCEPT GOD ALONE - SO ETERNAL LIFE CANNOT COME BY ANY WORKS AT ALL, BUT BY FAITH ALONE IN HIM ALONE

The rich young ruler either missed or ignored our Lord's '''Why do you ask Me what is good?...There is only One Who is good." and only responded to the third thing that Jesus said which was: "If you want to enter life, obey the commandments."

Forgive me this Easter Sunday for saying this; But the Young woman who has now knock down the Pope twice. I think there is no way that she could have knocked him down hard enough, because they, the 'church still doesn't get it"

It is not my intention to lead anyone any where. I trust that you are smart enough to pray about these things, these eggs of scripture and draw your own concision.

Youtube Vids you might like, In love and support, be at peace, pray often, trust God in all things, and knows He loves you, more then I can say, more then you know until we are with Him on that day.

IT GETS BETTER - singer/songwriter Jake Walden

http://youtu.be/woL-v2N-G7g

Be you...it's worth it...(The Trevor Project) - Jake Walden

http://youtu.be/pxTjhez7QvM

Jake Walden - For Someone - Music Video

http://youtu.be/Vu6l4C-XSUU

Posted

Grew up in the catholic church with fire and, damnationand hell, along with the turn or burn attitude! I had not discovered I was a lesbian until 1999.

Was going to our church since moving here but after a lesbian who is out and proud wouldn'd stop hitting on me even though T was part of my life I talked to the pastor and his wife, who we found out was on a mission against homosexuals. She told T and I that "those kind of people would never darken the doors of that church again". That's when we left. I am not out in our community but it's a very hick town and I do fear for our safety. We have a new pastor again so I think we will check him out.

Just keep trying. Find a place that feeds and teaches God's word, worship and praise that moves you closer to Jesus! Having a great relationship with him is your goal!

Posted

In the not too distant past, I attended the MCC here in Pensacola. Then there were problems, a hurricane, and then ... well it matters not the reason, but James decided he didn't want to attend, and I left because of the difficulties within the church.

I attend once a week on the Internet. I attend the Gnostic Gospel Church in Los Angeles. I do not consider it a church, because church is nothing but fellowship and I have to admit, I do miss that aspect. However the knowledge I have gained by watching the services and reading the Gnostic books have been eye opening.

So yes, MCC knew I was gay and no I do not attend a church on a regular basis.

Posted

Sun., April 24th, 11, 16:45 hrs, M.D.T.
Hi Group,
I'm a Gay Mormon. Not Active in My Church for Obvious Reasons. A Lot of the
LDS Values Still Mean Something Special to Me in My Own Ways.
Be Nice if Chirches Wern't so Biased or Bigoted Towrds Gays/Lesbians or Others They Don't Like.
Tnx,
Operater.

Shalom_Lamanilao
Posted

Whoa! That's quite a number of questions you got there. However, I think they're all great questions!

Is anyone out there who is Catholic or any other christian denomination and goes to church weekly or bible studies regularly?
&gtI'm Catholic. I go to church every weekend partly because my parents told me to do so. No kidding. I actually like going to masses though. The priest in my church is a great preacher. However, I also watch a lot of evangelical TV shows like Joyce Mayer Ministries and The Living Truth (based here in Canada). For me watching these shows, is my "mass." I like Joyce - I think she's cool. I wonder though what her thoughts on homosexuality. I admit that I'm afraid to ask since her response might be bigoted or what not.

Do you feel challenged by others who say it is wrong to be gay?
&gtNope. Not at all. I know for sure God loves me and that there's nothing wrong being gay!

Do you go to church but feel guilty for who you are?
&gtI have to admit that I used to feel this way but not anymore.

Do you think you have a special relationship with God and have a right to be part of the religious community?
&gtCertainly!

Do people in your church community know you are gay?
&gtNot really. I really don't know why, and to be honest, I don't really care!

Do you believe so what I am gay etc etc but it is not all of me?
&gtCertainly. Someone's sexuality does not and should not define who they are!

Posted

Shalom... if she's on TV, you can about bet she is anti-gay. That seems to be a prerequisite unless of course they are a closet case like our Rev. Ted. Preach hell and damnation during the day and hire male prostitutes during the night... LOL

Ryan_Siriwardene
Posted

Thanks everyone for your comments, Go Andre for your post with the quotes.

Here my viewpoint to the questions I ask.

I am Catholic and go to church weekly. I was brought up as one but chose to maintain it after I was old enough to understands the ins and outs.

I used to feel challenged by my faith and the catholic institution as I was told that homosexuality was a sin. I would suppress my attraction to other guys and tried to think of girls.

It got to the point where I just fell in love with a guy. I came out but went to many priest and they told you need to get over this. Then I found one priest who I thought understood me as he said 'Put God first.' Great the solution to my problem.

A year later, wait I am still attracted to guys and yet I am praying and talking to God more than I ever did in my whole life. I read this book by Daniel A Helminiak who explores the bible and sheds lights to those bible verses that supposedly condemn homosexuality as a sin. I truly think that saved me.

I even stop receiving communion and just watch people go up to the priest receive the body and blood of christ all because I was told I was sinning.

In my heart, I could feel I was not sinning, I was becoming more of me and not hiding it, the one God made. SO WHY AM I PUNISHING MYSELF? Plus my mother intervened and demanded I receive communion again and put this rubbish behind me.

Until now, I could not find any Christian whose Gay and goes to church regularly hence why I posted this question. I now believe yes we do have a special relationship with God. He or maybe She created us and love us otherwise we wouldnt be living and breathing now.

After trying to find many churches to fit in, I have gone back to the one I was baptised in and realise also I am going as Ryan not as a gay male. I am not afraid of my sexuality but I dont think its necessary to proclaim it to everyone. If people ask, which they never do, I would tell them. My family dont like that i am gay, they still love me as they love me as the son they raised plus my brother puts it I was always a "homo" to him because I thought differently.

People should love you for your personality and that you also love God.

They have no right to judge you, who gave them the power.

I am really loving me and what I have become. I respect myself and do the best for others without overdoing it like i used to to the point where I am left exhausted emotionally.

I am going to keep being me and love my fellow person as I am sure that is what God wanted me to do.

cheers everyone

Posted

Great Ryan.. God didn't make any junk and that includes us.

If you will look at some of the profiles on the site, it seems to be the younger ones, you will notice they list themselves as atheists. This is so sad, but understandable. They have been beaten down for so many years, in the name of a loving, caring God, they believe there is no place for them at the table. I just hope and pray they will change and understand it is man who is hateful and bigoted.... not Jesus. No where in the Bible or any writings I have read, did Jesus even mention a word about the gays. All he talked about was loving each other as we would ourselves. Love... not hate.

Man has done more to destroy organized religion than any other facet of life. The Bible was put together by man... no God. They may have taken the words, but they chose the books, so they could maintain the hold on the Church. Read any and everything you can about Nicea, and you will learn how Christianity was manipulated to where it is today.

There was man here in Pensacola who was a Pentecostal minister... who realized after his marriage .. he was gay. His father too was a Pentecostal minister and his family was strong in the church. He came out to his parents, and of course was immediately disowned. After this went on for a while, he approached his father and made a deal with him. They would research the Bible and history together and at the end of that, if his parents still felt the way he did, he would leave his lover and give up his life.

After two years of study, his father wrote the forward to his book and his lover was welcomed into their home. This is how it should be. Unfortunately my friend is dead, he had cancer of the pancreas, but I keep his book close at hand and re-read it carefully. It is such a shame he could not find a publisher, because this book could have been the most important item in any gay's library and perhaps change a lot of the atheist listings to Christian.

Great job Ryan... you are a fantastic young man.

Shalom_Lamanilao
Posted

@Patrick: I do have a feeling Joyce is anti-gay. Even if she is or even if she's not, I will still watch her show. I just like it. She is a no non-sense preacher much better than the preaching that I get from my catholic church. That's for sure!

Susan_Duviella
Posted

Shalom: I too enjoy watching and listening to Joyce. I couldn't confirm whether or not she is anti-gay, but I did take that chance and wrote [sent email] to her a few years ago. I did get a response, but of course, not directly from her, but from someone in her ministry that apparently handles her emails. I can't remember the exact words written to me, but the lady that answered did say that homosexuality is a sin and I believe she used one or two of the clobber verses. Though I can't remember if she flat out said that Joyce is anti-gay, she did indicate that Joyce's belief is that it is a sin.
Because the answer came from someone other than Joyce, I cannot confirm Joyce's true belief, however, I would venture to say that she is since this is her ministry and her "spokesperson" regarding the issue via email. It was frustrating, but not surprising.

Posted

Bet on it, you'll earn interest on the money you make.

Ryan_Siriwardene
Posted

Pardon my ignorance for not knowing who Joyce is (somehow her show is not good enough for Australian TV)

it does not matter if Joyce is or the gay people or not.

I put forward this to you: She obviously brings comfort to your life, am I right? Instead of focusing on her what she believes in focus on what she is teaching? She does not have the right to judge us or anyone for that matter only God does.

My local Catholic priest and I get along well but he does not know I am gay. I used to think I am keeping this secret from him but then I realise I am not, I am just not focusing on it.

We get along so well before I knew I was gay when destroy this friendship unnecessarily.

Shalom and Susan - keep listening to Joyce. She is obviously inspiring you to live a great Christian life and isnt that the point she is trying to bring across?

@Patrick, man has destroyed religion. let them keep on destroying it, we should ignore them and ignorant ways and keep following God as I am sure he sees who are the people that shallow and true believers.

Shalom_Lamanilao
Posted

@Ryan: great attitude!

You know, there was a time in my life when I won't listen to a priest or a preacher if he or she is anti-gay. I just find it hypocritical to be imparting lessons of love and acceptance and spreading hate at the same time. I know Jesus would not do that. One of my favourite stories in the bible is the one about the prostitute who was about to get stoned to death. Jesus didn't judge her and accepted her just as he has accepted anyone else. There are priests or preachers out there who are like Jesus - the ones who are accepting and non-judgmental. It's just that they are hard to find, but they are out there!

@Susan: Wow! I admire your courage of sending an email to Joyce! Although you received a confirmation from someone other than Joyce herself that Joyce believes homosexuality is a sin, I think it is just a christian thing to do to give Joyce the benefit of the doubt, which is what you are doing.

Susan_Duviella
Posted

Ryan: I love Joyce Meyer; I never had any intention to stop listening to her. I was simply responding to Shalom's post. Though I wasn't happy with the response I got, it didn't change how I feel about Joyce. I think she's awesome and totally enjoy her sermons.

Shalom: I don't think I've ever not listened to a preacher because he/she was anti-gay; however, I would generally stay clear of those who gay bashed and made it appear as though their mission was to prove how sinful and evil homosexuals are. I have no patients for that kind of ignorance. Still, there is a part of me that is trying to understand and trying not to allow the flesh to override the spirit. I can't get that upset at these people; they hate because it's what they were taught. They simply haven't had the opportunity to hear the truth. I have to remember that so I can be in a better place. I hope that makes sense.

Posted

Wow. I feel something has been born again in my heart after hearing yall. For 16 years, I have not been in Church, except to collect the boy's remains of the one I was raised for, and I have not had any of my family from the far away land i come from contact me ... People in California were marveled when they saw me come in the youth I shined! From the family in the faraway land I'm from, they said it was poison and I would die in California. No! He never died. But ... but ... I forgot what it was that made me so special that they would call this in my veins Poison ... it was Christ that California saw in me! ) Wow!! No, they cannot have me anymore and tell me i smile because I'm gay, No, I will give myself to thessssssssssssse ... and YOU have given Him back to ME to know that this happiness and niceness and lovliness i have in my heart is good and not evil! The evil which God speaks of is sodomy-that is to trespass against someone's person, strip them, shame them and throw them out in abandonment as the the vile of Life. You can do all the 'good' in the world and offer redemption all you want for the sick, but unless you open up your home to invite these 'sick' in as your own, you have done nothing. That is the eternal life Jesus speaks of is when you look at the needs of that person's soul, rather than what they appear to be.

Thanks a lot, friends!
-Cat

Posted

I must confess, I don't go to church regularly. I live in Shanghai and somehow, I just can't get with the congregations here. I suppose I haven't found a place where I feel like I belong and can be myself. But I do pray and read the Bible on my own. Sometimes I do it with other people. Church really just means when two or more people gather under His name. So I don't think we need an actual "church" as the world defines it, to say "Yes, I go to church."

Ryan_Siriwardene
Posted

@freeja

I have gone many stages with my faith. When I first came out, I decided to go to a Uniting Church who held a mass for Gay and Lesbian Community.

I also went to many different churches looking for acceptance

then stop receiving communion (body and blood of Christ)

Then I came to my senses and my mum's intervention, I stopped running and just went back to my local Catholic church and realise my sexual orientation is not all of me.

Who are they to judge anyway.

I go to church as I enjoy going and couldnt live without it now. I love opening my missal and following along with the service.

Also I think if God had the time to create me, I am sure I have the time to give him at least 40 minutes of my time each week.

Can I ask what does your congregation do that makes u feel uncomfortable?
Be careful not to get lost in your thoughts and assumption as the mind has dirty way on playing tricks with you.

Always follow your heart.

Posted

@Ryan..It is great to hear that you have come full circle in accepting yourself just the way you are. Kudos for you! To answer your question, it's not so much what they've done to me. It's just plainly taught in my church that being gay is a sin. I've tried talking about it and nobody would even budge on it. One of my friend came out to our church and they tried really hard to change him. In the end, he left. The whole thing is really sad.

Ryan_Siriwardene
Posted

@freeja

That is a pity. Your friend and you are always welcome here. I am sure if I announce I was gay at my church, they would look at me differently; fortunately they wont kick me out of the church.

The way I see it, I didnt choose to love guys but it seems to me sexual orientation is dividing church communities when it should be bringing people together.

Posted

When people ask me why I chose to be gay, I tell them, with tongue in cheek, "Yes, I chose to be gay, so I could be hated, lost the love of family and friends, along with the possibility of losing my job or my home. I love to hit my thump with a hammer."

They look at me with a look I cannot describe. It does, usually, make them think a little bit anyway.

Ryan_Siriwardene
Posted

at patrick

Did you seriously lose everything though because of ur sexual orientation