Chris_Mayfield_51080

Mourning the loss of punctuation - Gay Guys! <3

Posted

I sit here reading posts, and wonder, when did punctuation die? There seems to be a void, were punctuation, capitol letters and spelling all in a fatal accident? Did they run away to Rio together? Will they ever return?

Posted

I share the same thought, Chris. Some people at my University have seemed to have forgotten how punctuation is used also. It annoys me so!

Antony_Terrance_Parker
Posted

That is the least of my worries,when they write in computer slang I find it hard to follow..For example, "dat" instead of that.

Posted

They should all learn to speak proper.
I can't follow that text slang either. r u appy ppl?

But then you get 'ISTM' also, I don't know what it means but a friend uses it a lot in emails.

The one that gets me rolling around in fits is when someone is talking about his prostate gland and he writes 'prostrate'. There is just a tiny bit of a difference.

Posted

Don't know what ISTM means either, guys. Sounds like something a teenager would text to one their little friends. lol

Michael_Wolfe
Posted

If you think about some of them they will come to you...Had to learn when I started texting alot..I don't use it here..I have trouble with People who don't know how to type..I think they are either druck are typing with one hand...LOL

Antony_Terrance_Parker
Posted

So this is the problem! People are writing as if they are sending a text.
Teens love to have their own language,if it becomes mainstream I fear they will start texting in morse code.Ha Ha!

Michael_Wolfe
Posted

LOL Antony I would have to say I am still old school..Even when I text I write it all out...

Posted

Language is dynamic always evolving technology has accelerated the process as has the fact that English is the new lingua franca used by non native speakers. Being nostalgic or lugubrious will not change things. We live in a world of acronyms akin to international signage! I am dyslectic so either or works for me !

Posted

You can can somebody about a way that type are the way they talk. I know use punctuations, capital letters, or the correct grammar important to school teaching them books so I speak the way I feel I way I talk to people on the street. And try to understand people come from all over the world on this site there grammar the pronunciation the punctuation also different if you read issue notoriety have used punctuation periodically and I'm talking into this new program called Dragon. And with this Dragon program you are supposed to say where your punctuation goes but I'm not going to do that all the time even when I'm typing I don't use Below letters if you seen anything I posted I wryly you the I'm using sunlight that now and as because of the Dragon but normally involves type and this will probably just been one of Satan's all lowercase because I felt like doing now if you wanted me to schoolteacher monitor the site pass out the stitches will but don't try to judge and to me your statement sound it's a little judgmental

Michael_Wolfe
Posted

Who are you talking too @Mark???

Antony_Terrance_Parker
Posted

Anyway?
I know language is a constantly evolving and i too am dyslexic.As long as delicious descibing words like lugubrious are not lost all is well.

Dave_Mack
Posted

I too find some of the slang confusing. One I would love the meaning of is 420. What does this mean. Also the

Posted

Something to be said for proofreading also, it can make a world of difference. (Mark)
420 is pot. I think the

Dave_Mack
Posted

Thank you Eric. I sincerly didnt know. I have learned somethinfg new. And I try to do that daily.
BTW I have an abbreviation that I bet most dont know:
TTFN
Means TA TA FOR NOW,. Was a common expression on a kids program aired here in Boston in the early 1960's.
Bet no one here knew this....

Posted

Dave

Just to relate what happened to me. I'd read about poppers and wanted to try it. Out here in Australia it is around $50 a small bottle and was sold under the name of "Jungle Juice". I was anxious to try the stuff and after I did so it made me very sick for about a week. It did absolutely nothing for my sexual experience and I ended up giving it to a friend who was used to it. I won't go in that direction again.

TTFN

John

Posted

@ Dave, i used to use TTFN all the time when i was younger, i got it from winnie the pooh lol.

Posted

My mother and I were just talking about this this morning, how she can't understand what most of her friends on Facebook are even talking about. I told her she should say, "There's this wonderful new invention called punctuation. Maybe you should try it."

About "that" becoming "dat," maybe English speakers have realized that the High German Consonant Shift was a good idea. About people tending to spell things phonetically on the Internet, at least they're not just complaining about how we should reform English spelling anymore but actually doing something about it.

Posted

I knew TTFN, but don't remember ever using it (my aunt does tho).
I dont know anybody but ESL speakers (English as a Second Language) who say 'dat'/etc.. and 'wat' looks like it would be pronounced 'wat' as opposed to 'watt' or 'wut'.. which, again, I never hear in speech! If we're going to reform spelling, I'm not against dropping words that have silent gh in them (night-&gtnite etc), but often there are good reasons why we keep the spellings we have. I could go on an on but dont want to bore anybody.
Thanks for enlightening me about poppers, I knew it was some sort of drug and as such don't intend to try them, but have seen lot of personal ads mentioning them so I was curious.

Dave_Mack
Posted

With regard to proper spelling maybe someone can elighten us WHY there are different spellings in BRITISH vs US English of words like COLOR and NEIGHBOR. British English spells with a "U" as in COLOUR and NEIGHBOUR. Also in BRITISH they don't use the definate article before the word Hospital. They don't go to THE HOSPITAL,, but just to hospital. And why do they refuse to use the word VACATION? They use HOLIDAY. In US English HOLIDAY is ONE day whereas a string of days off together is a VACATION.
I am NOT insulting ANY of our British or AUSSIE friends here. Just would love to know the difference. I jokingly tell my friend in Germany to whom English is a second language that the British own the language but we Americans improved it. Yeah I know its kinda mean but is meant very tongue in cheek! Makes me wonder do they go to THE bathroom or just bathroom... which is where I am heading to now.........

Posted

I've heard lots of differences between British and American usage, but never noticed what you say about hospital and bathroom.. interesting. I think a lot of the differences in spelling originated in a time when there was no standardized spelling, and the Americans chose their preferences from the different variations when they split from the UK.
Here in Canada we float between the British and US.. we are more American in many ways (esp. pronunciation) but are still supposed [or 'meant' for you Brits] to use the British spellings.

Dave_Mack
Posted

Hi Eric,
From what I have learned when i visit Montreal they are fighting over WHICH language is the OFFICIAL one. The Francophones want French and nothing else yet it is the Anglophones that supposedly control the business and economy. I know there is also the Excimo language uo there too but never run into anyone who spoke it.
As for English I have usually found that Canadians prefer the British spelling yet the Ameriican pronounciation and they Do recognize the word VACATION. My reference to BATHROOM was a joke.
Just out of curiosity WHERE in Canada are you?

Posted

You're not likely to run into an Eskimo (=Inuit/Inuktitut) speaker unless you go to Nunavut.
Yes we do recognize and sometimes use Americanisms. I say 'Zed' but my brother says 'Zee', for instance.. The word Vacation to me means you're going away, Holidays are just days off.