christians and gayism - The Gay Christian Network

Posted

Bible says "no" for gayism where gay"spirit" just be with the men and making them gay. remember, all of us are straight males.&gt&gt&gt i just joined this page to make you all come out from the bondage of the gay spirit. Pray for all gay guys too...

Posted

Wow! I may disagree with everything you say, but I can't deny you have a lot of guts to come into "GAYS.com" and try to tell us we're all "in bondage"!!!!! LOL

Actually, Vicknesh, the bible doesn't say "no" to being gay, and I can absolutely guarantee that we do not and CAN NOT "make" anyone gay. (Boy, oh boy, at times I wish I could! I have a couple of extremely gorgeous str8 friends who are absolutely wasted on girls. ;-) )

I don't wish to attack you or put you down for your views, and I accept that, for now, you sincerely hold them to be true.

I invite you, however, to have a proper respectful discussion with us who hold ourselves to be both gay and Christian, in faith and based on the Bible itself (rather than an idea of what is in the Bible based only on the few "out of context" phrases which are blindly repeated by bigots).

If you still come away feeling as you do, then I, for one, will "agree to disagree", and continue to pray for you anyway... the most powerful prayer of all... "Thy will be done". Amen!

Posted

When you do your studies on the Bible, and you get past what has been pounded in to your warped mind, then come back and we will have a discussion. Until then get thee to a nunnery.

You are so antiquated in your thoughts, you needed to live back.. hell, I don't think you would have even fit in during the rants of the Spanish Inquisition.

I would enjoy an exchange with you, but I think probably you belong to the Religious Reich and there is not getting through to you people.

Posted

Straight male on a gay site... amazing. As though they didn't have enough. IF you are here to learn, that is one thing, but believe me, we have heard all the crap you people have thrown at us for centuries. Throw the Bible away and learn.

Mark, thanks for being a gentleman to this twit. He doesn't deserve it in the first place and I refuse to do so. He doesn't have the knowledge to understand so he uses You-tube... way to go.

Posted

anyway according to bible:
Likewise also the men, leaving the natural use of woman, burned in their lust for one another, men with men committing what is shameful, and receiving in themselves the penalty of their error which was due. (ROMANS 1:27)
PLEASE READ THIS AND REPENT!!!

Posted

NO GAYS AND NO LESBIANS!!!! ANYWAY IM GOING TO OUT FROM THIS GAYS.COM.... BYE.... I WILL PRAY FOR YOU ALL..... TO LEAVE THE BAD AND BE WITH GOD AND HAVE A AWESOME LIFE. AND I JUST SIGN UP, TO TELL YOU ALL THAT YOU ALL ARE IN THE BONDAGE.... IF I HURT, SORRY. THIS IS THE FACT. SO, JUST ACCEPT IT...

Posted

AND I THINK THOSE GOT EAR WILL HEAR!!! (AS THE BIBLE SAYS)

Posted

Pray and ask Lord to be out from that bondage. And as the bible says, those who asks in my Name(JESUS), will get it!!!

Shelley_M_Woods
Posted

well I know for a fact I'm not in bondage. the lord tells me all the time I formed you in the womb. I created you as you are and I have plan to prosper you. I have been and will always be a lesbian.

Posted

shelly, do watch the video above, a lesbian talks about the lesbianism and how she leave it finally for lord.

Posted

If read read the verse that claim homosexuality is wrong. What about the few verse before and after those. Do you choice to dismiss them? If you are a Christian how can you miss them?

Posted

Yes there are many times people supposedly change. Those are normally short lived.

God knew us in the womb...oh you had to know that already. You study the Bible. AND God doesn't make any junk, unless they are from Pacific rim area.

Now, the lesbian found the Lord. AMEN on that, but what does that have to do with being a Lesbian, gay, or straight. There is no doubt in my mind you sin more than we do. Just from your brief actions here, you have committed one of the worse sins. I'll let you search that one out yourself.

Now that you are such a scholar on the Bible, please tell us all, what did Jesus say about homosexuality, and I'll give you a hint, there was no word homosexuality in the original texts. What did Jesus say about this most horrid of sins? I will wait patiently for your answer. Then get the hell off of here!

Posted

By the way Vick, how long have you been a closet case. You know there are a lot of you out there. Tout the Bible by day and have sex with men at night. When you are ready to kick the doors off that closet, let us know. Might teach you a few things.

Posted

Did you miss Roman 1:220-24? (NKJV)

20 For since the creation of the world His invisible attributes are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even His eternal power and Godhead, so that they are without excuse, 21 because, although they knew God, they did not glorify Him as God, nor were thankful, but became futile in their thoughts, and their foolish hearts were darkened. 22 Professing to be wise, they became fools, 23 and changed the glory of the incorruptible God into an image made like corruptible man—and birds and four-footed animals and creeping things.
24 Therefore God also gave them up to uncleanness, in the lusts of their hearts, to dishonor their bodies among themselves.

Did you know that nowhere in the bible that Jesus is not against homosexuals.

Posted

Well said Patrick

Susan_Duviella
Posted

Vicknesh -

I can only hope that you have not left just yet. Your choice to do so is obviously up to you. I do want to say something though. I did watch the vidoe. And I found that is is a great story and that Brook had gone through much trial and tribulation. However, there is nothing in her story that convinces me that being a lesbian is wrong in any way.
What I have learned from her video is that she had chosen the wrong path; a path without God which is a sin in itself. She chose to have a relationship with someone who was into witchcraft, drinking, and drugs and Brook was influenced by her girlfriend and also lived that same lifestyle. Because of the choices she made, with the wrong person in her life, she had suffered the consequences of those choices.
When Brook called upon the Lord during the scary and dangerous times in her life, yes, God is faithful and will always be there when we call upon Him, I agree. When she asked God about her lover, not her life as a lesbian, but asked God about her lover, God said "no". I would agree with that too. It's obvious that Brook was with someone that was dragging her down and keeping her away from the Lord. Of course God would tell her no in ragrd to her lover. I would have said the same thing.
We all need to surround ourselves with people that will provide positive things in our lives; people that will help build each other up and not bring each other down. I am sure that if a straight woman was in a relationship with a man who practiced witchcraft, did drugs, and lived the same kind of dangerous life that Brook and her gf did, God would tell the straight girl "NO" in regard to her boyfriend. There's no difference. Because God IS faithful and true and wants only what's best for His children; ALL of His children. It's about relationships and how we live our lives with, or without, God.

You, and many others always bring up bible scripture to "prove" that being gay is wrong. Yet, No one has provided the scripture that shows God saying it's wrong, or Christ saying it's wrong. We know Paul said it was wrong, but hey, he wasn't talking about a real loving and monogamous relationship between 2 men or 2 women, he was talking to the Corinthians who were practicing shrine prostitution and ceremonial acts in worship of the fertility gods. That has nothing to do with being gay. One of the problems many Christians have is not reading the bible properly. When was it written, who wrote it, what was the culture and laws of that time, and what was happening at that time.

Show me where Gog or Jesus says that 2 people in a loving relationship is wrong. When you can provide that, I will be happy to discuss some more. In the mean time, take care and God bless you.

Posted

anyway its up to you all....&gt&gt&gt

Posted

In Bible, Lord said he created man and woman only and look at the genesis. God speaks about the responsibilities of man and woman. And from where homosexual, bisexual and.. all came from??? Dont you all can think??? My advice dont be cheated by the satan. where lake of fire will be the end for those who follow him... anyway.... im just advising you all.... and hope you all change.... BYE!!!

Posted

Which profit is that... No, I think you are a wack job. Not that that is bad, you just need to go nest with those who believe in your way of ... thinking, or being a sheeple and following what you wish to follow.

The reason I am so upset over your overbearing attitude, is I have been beaten down by your kind almost all my life. I have watched as families disown their own children because of a misinterpreted book which was put together by man, choosing which of the thousands of gospels they wished to include. I was beaten down by Bible thumpers like you who use what they wish to us and then disregard the rest.

I was beaten down because people refused to actually study history, social/economic situations of the time.... and times change my friend and people along with it.

I have watched as young men, myself included, considered killing ourselves because of what some preacher said was a sin, instead of giving that love our God has for all... not just the straight people of the world, but all... we are all God's children and my God made no mistakes. He made me the way I am and I am proud of that.

Maybe we should bring back the old laws and you could be a slave and live in those times. Oh God, where do you people come from on this earth.

Posted

@ Vichnesh: Don't make statements that you can't back up. Its not the gay's who is breaking up families it's the Christians who are against Homosexuals.

Posted

This is why people hate self righteous Christians! You have No humility nor humbleness, and you believe that you have the right to tell others how to live their lives, while you run out and cheat, steal, kill in His name!
You are nothing but a whiff of smoke for the pit of fire of confusion and doubt you have in your own heart Get thee Satan behind me and begone from this place, your hypocrisy is a stench in the face of God for He know you not/
Thou name is Legion for you are many! YOU begone and repeat of the sin of pride, Do not tell others how to live show them by example, and the example you have shown here is that you are sick-ER, then those who you would claim to help, Tend to your own garden so that the Lord may pass favorable judgement on you. This is why people loathe Christianity, and many turn away from God, Who's Heart you can not fathom, nor understand, like that crack pot so called ministry who burned the Holy Qumran, you have no understanding, the blood of the innocents are on his hands as are the hearts and souls you would sway. You do not love God, because if you did just a little you would fall down on your knees and beg forgiveness or your sin, yes your sin, becase religion can make you sick and do evil things while you are all the while using God's Word which we know, that even the Devil knows when he tempted Christ for 40 days: Matthew 4:3:

New International Version (©1984)
The tempter came to him and said, "If you are the Son of God, tell these stones to become bread."
New Living Translation (©2007)
During that time the devil came and said to him, "If you are the Son of God, tell these stones to become loaves of bread."

English Standard Version (©2001)
And the tempter came and said to him, “If you are the Son of God, command these stones to become loaves of bread.”

New American Standard Bible (©1995)
And the tempter came and said to Him, "If You are the Son of God, command that these stones become bread."

International Standard Version (©2008)
The tempter came and said to him, "Since you are the Son of God, tell these stones to become loaves of bread."

GOD'S WORD® Translation (©1995)
The tempter came to him and said, "If you are the Son of God, tell these stones to become loaves of bread."

King James Bible
And when the tempter came to him, he said, If thou be the Son of God, command that these stones be made bread.

American King James Version
And when the tempter came to him, he said, If you be the Son of God, command that these stones be made bread.

American Standard Version
And the tempter came and said unto him, If thou art the Son of God, command that these stones become bread.

Bible in Basic English
And the Evil One came and said to him, If you are the Son of God, give the word for these stones to become bread.

Douay-Rheims Bible
And the tempter coming said to him: If thou be the Son of God, command that these stones be made bread.

Darby Bible Translation
And the tempter coming up to him said, If thou be Son of God, speak, that these stones may become loaves of bread.

English Revised Version
And the tempter came and said unto him, If thou art the Son of God, command that these stones become bread.

Webster's Bible Translation
And when the tempter came to him, he said, If thou art the son of God, command that these stones be made bread.

Weymouth New Testament
So the Tempter came and said, "If you are the Son of God, command these stones to turn into loaves."

World English Bible
The tempter came and said to him, "If you are the Son of God, command that these stones become bread."

Young's Literal Translation
And the Tempter having come to him said, 'If Son thou art of God -- speak that these stones may become loaves.'

Barnes' Notes on the Bible
The tempter - The devil, or Satan. See Matthew 4:1.

If thou be the Son of God - If thou art God's own Son, then thou hast power to work a miracle, and here is a suitable opportunity to try thy power, and show that thou art sent from God.

Command that these stones ... - The stones that were lying around him in the wilderness. No temptation could have been more plausible, or more likely to succeed, than this. He had just been declared to be the Son of God Matthew 3:17, and here was an opportunity to show that he was really so. The circumstances were such as to make it appear plausible and proper to work this miracle. "Here you are," was the language of Satan, "hungry, cast out, alone, needy, poor, and yet the Son of God! If you have this power, how easy could you satisfy your wants! How foolish is it, then, for the Son of God, having all power, to be starving in this manner, when by a word he could show his power and relieve his wants, and when in the thing itself there could be nothing wrong!"

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Clarke's Commentary on the Bible
And when the tempter - This onset of Satan was made (speaking after the manner of men) judiciously: he came when Jesus, after having fasted forty days and forty nights, was hungry: now, as hunger naturally diminishes the strength of the body, the mind gets enfeebled, and becomes easily irritated; and if much watching and prayer be not employed, the uneasiness which is occasioned by a lack of food may soon produce impatience, and in this state of mind the tempter has great advantages. The following advice of an Arabian philosopher to his son is worthy of attention. "My son, never go out of the house in the morning, till thou hast eaten something: by so doing, thy mind will be more firm; and, shouldest thou be insulted by any person, thou wilt find thyself more disposed to suffer patiently: for hunger dries up and disorders the brain." Bibliot. Orient. Suppl. p. 449. The state of our bodily health and worldly circumstances may afford our adversary many opportunities of doing us immense mischief. In such cases, the sin to which we are tempted may be justly termed, as in Hebrews 12:1, την ευπεριστατον αμαρτιαν, the well circumstanced sin, because all the circumstances of time, place, and state of body and mind, are favorable to it.

If thou be the Son of God - Or, a son of God, υιος του Θεου. υιος is here, and in Luke 4:3, written without the article; and therefore should not be translated The Son, as if it were ὁ υιος, which is a phrase that is applicable to Christ as the Messiah: but it is certain, whatever Satan might suspect, he did not fully know that the person he tempted was the true Messiah. Perhaps one grand object of his temptation was to find this out.

Command that these stones - The meaning of this temptation is: "Distrust the Divine providence and support, and make use of illicit means to supply thy necessities."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Gill's Exposition of the Entire Bible
And when the tempter came to him..... By "the tempter", is meant the devil, see 1 Thessalonians 3:5 so called, because it is his principal work and business, in which he employs himself, to solicit men to sin; and tempt them either to deny, or call in question the being of God, arraign his perfections, murmur at his providences, and disbelieve his promises. When he is here said to come to Christ at the end of forty days and nights, we are not to suppose, that he now first began to tempt him; for the other Evangelists expressly say, that he was tempted of him forty days, Mark 1:13 but he now appeared openly, and in a visible shape: all the forty days and nights before, he had been tempting him secretly and inwardly; suggesting things suitable to, and taking the advantage of the solitary and desolate condition he was in. But finding these suggestions and temptations unsuccessful, and observing him to be an hungered, he puts on a visible form, and with an articulate, audible voice, he said,

if thou be the Son of God; either doubting of his divine sonship, calling it in question, and putting him upon doing so too; wherefore it is no wonder that the children of God should be assaulted with the like temptation: or else arguing from it, "if", or "seeing thou art the Son of God"; for he must know that he was, by the voice which came from heaven, and declared it: and certain it is, that the devils both knew, and were obliged to confess that Jesus was the Son of God, Luke 4:41 by which is meant, not a good, or righteous man, or one dear to God, and in an office; but a divine person, one possessed of almighty power; and therefore, as a proof and demonstration of it, be urges him to

command that these stones be made bread, pointing to some which lay hard by; "say" but the word, and it will be done. He did not doubt but he was able to do it, by a word speaking; but he would have had him to have done it at his motion, which would have been enough for his purpose; who wanted to have him obedient to him: and he might hope the rather to succeed in this temptation, because Christ was now an hungry; and because he had carried his point with our first parents, by tempting them to eat of the forbidden fruit.

Vincent's Word Studies
The Son of God

By its position in the sentence Son is emphatic. "If thou standest to God in the relation of Son."

Bread (ἄπτοι)

Lit., loaves or cakes. So Wyc., loaves. These stones were perhaps those "silicious accretions," which assume the exact shape of little loaves of bread, and which were represented in legend as the petrified fruits of the cities of the plain. By a similar fancy certain crystallizations on Mount Carmel and near Bethlehem are called "Elijah's melons," and the "Virgin Mary's peas;" and the black and white stones found along the shores of the Lake of Galilee have been transformed into traces of the tears of Jacob in search of Joseph. The very appearance of these stones, like the bread for which the faint body hungered, may have added force to the temptation. This resemblance may have been present to Christ's mind in his words at Matthew 7:9.

Geneva Study Bible
And when the tempter came to him, he said, If thou be the Son of God, command that these stones be made bread.

People's New Testament
4:3 The tempter came to him. The devil. He chose his time craftily, as he always does when he assails man. Whether he came in a personal form or as the whisper of the evil spirit is uncertain.

If thou be the Son of God. If suggests a doubt, and, perhaps, a taunt. It is a cunning appeal to Christ to work a miracle to satisfy his hunger and to display his power. It would seem an innocent thing for Christ to make bread when he was hungry, for himself, as he afterwards did for the five thousand. Why not? Because if he had availed himself of his Divine power to escape the discomforts and sufferings of humanity he would have failed to suffer as we do, to set us an example in all things, to be tempted in all points as we are; and besides, he came to minister (Mt 20:28 Mr 10:45) never to use his Divine power for their own benefit. To have so exerted it for selfish and vainglorious purposes would have been sinful, and a distrust of God. Christ came to save others, not himself. Self-denial was the law of his mission.

Wesley's Notes
4:3 Coming to him - In a visible form; probably in a human shape, as one that desired to inquire farther into the evidences of his being the Messiah.

Jamieson-Fausset-Brown Bible Commentary
3. And when the tempter came to him-Evidently we have here a new scene.

he said, if thou be the Son of God, command that these stones be made bread-rather, "loaves," answering to "stones" in the plural; whereas Luke, having said, "Command this stone," in the singular, adds, "that it be made bread," in the singular (Lu 4:3). The sensation of hunger, unfelt during all the forty days, seems now to have come on in all its keenness-no doubt to open a door to the tempter, of which he is not slow to avail himself; "Thou still clingest to that vainglorious confidence that Thou art the Son of God, carried away by those illusory scenes at the Jordan. Thou wast born in a stable; but Thou art the Son of God! hurried off to Egypt for fear of Herod's wrath; but Thou art the Son of God! a carpenter's roof supplied Thee with a home, and in the obscurity of a despicable town of Galilee Thou hast spent thirty years, yet still Thou art the Son of God! and a voice from heaven, it seems, proclaimed it in Thine ears at the Jordan! Be it so; but after that, surely Thy days of obscurity and trial should have an end. Why linger for weeks in this desert, wandering among the wild beasts and craggy rocks, unhonored, unattended, unpitied, ready to starve for want of the necessaries of life? Is this befitting "the Son of God?" At the bidding of "the Son of God" surely those stones shall all be turned into loaves, and in a moment present an abundant repast."

Matthew Henry's Concise Commentary
4:1-11 Concerning Christ's temptation, observe, that directly after he was declared to be the Son of God, and the Saviour of the world, he was tempted; great privileges, and special tokens of Divine favour, will not secure any from being tempted. But if the Holy Spirit witness to our being adopted as children of God, that will answer all the suggestions of the evil spirit. Christ was directed to the combat. If we presume upon our own strength, and tempt the devil to tempt us, we provoke God to leave us to ourselves. Others are tempted, when drawn aside of their own lust, and enticed, Jas 1:14; but our Lord Jesus had no corrupt nature, therefore he was tempted only by the devil. In the temptation of Christ it appears that our enemy is subtle, spiteful, and very daring; but he can be resisted. It is a comfort to us that Christ suffered, being tempted; for thus it appears that our temptations, if not yielded to, are not sins, they are afflictions only. Satan aimed in all his temptations, to bring Christ to sin against God. 1. He tempted him to despair of his Father's goodness, and to distrust his Father's care concerning him. It is one of the wiles of Satan to take advantage of our outward condition; and those who are brought into straits have need to double their guard. Christ answered all the temptations of Satan with It is written; to set us an example, he appealed to what was written in the Scriptures. This method we must take, when at any time we are tempted to sin

Posted

The tempter came to him and said, "If you are the Son of God, tell these stones to become bread."
During that time the devil came and said to him, "If you are the Son of God, tell these stones to become loaves of bread."

And the tempter came and said to him, “If you are the Son of God, command these stones to become loaves of bread.”

And the tempter came and said to Him, "If You are the Son of God, command that these stones become bread."

The tempter came and said to him, "Since you are the Son of God, tell these stones to become loaves of bread."

The tempter came to him and said, "If you are the Son of God, tell these stones to become loaves of bread."

King James Bible

And when the tempter came to him, he said, If you be the Son of God, command that these stones be made bread.

Bible in Basic English
And the Evil One came and said to him, If you are the Son of God, give the word for these stones to become bread.

Douay-Rheims Bible
And the tempter coming said to him: If thou be the Son of God, command that these stones be made bread.

Darby Bible Translation
And the tempter coming up to him said, If thou be Son of God, speak, that these stones may become loaves of bread.

English Revised Version

And when the tempter came to him, he said, If thou art the son of God, command that these stones be made bread.

Weymouth New Testament
So the Tempter came and said, "If you are the Son of God, command these stones to turn into loaves."

World English Bible
The tempter came and said to him, "If you are the Son of God, command that these stones become bread."

And the Tempter having come to him said, 'If Son thou art of God -- speak that these stones may become loaves.'

The tempter - The devil, or Satan. See Matthew 4:1.

If thou be the Son of God - If thou art God's own Son, then thou hast power to work a miracle, and here is a suitable opportunity to try thy power, and show that thou art sent from God.

Command that these stones ... - The stones that were lying around him in the wilderness. No temptation could have been more plausible, or more likely to succeed, than this. He had just been declared to be the Son of God Matthew 3:17, and here was an opportunity to show that he was really so. The circumstances were such as to make it appear plausible and proper to work this miracle. "Here you are," was the language of Satan, "hungry, cast out, alone, needy, poor, and yet the Son of God! If you have this power, how easy could you satisfy your wants! How foolish is it, then, for the Son of God, having all power, to be starving in this manner, when by a word he could show his power and relieve his wants, and when in the thing itself there could be nothing wrong!"

And when the tempter - This onset of Satan was made (speaking after the manner of men) judiciously: he came when Jesus, after having fasted forty days and forty nights, was hungry: now, as hunger naturally diminishes the strength of the body, the mind gets enfeebled, and becomes easily irritated; and if much watching and prayer be not employed, the uneasiness which is occasioned by a lack of food may soon produce impatience, and in this state of mind the tempter has great advantages. The following advice of an Arabian philosopher to his son is worthy of attention. "My son, never go out of the house in the morning, till thou hast eaten something: by so doing, thy mind will be more firm; and, shouldest thou be insulted by any person, thou wilt find thyself more disposed to suffer patiently: for hunger dries up and disorders the brain." Bibliot. Orient. Suppl. p. 449. The state of our bodily health and worldly circumstances may afford our adversary many opportunities of doing us immense mischief. In such cases, the sin to which we are tempted may be justly termed, as in Hebrews 12:1, την ευπεριστατον αμαρτιαν, the well circumstanced sin, because all the circumstances of time, place, and state of body and mind, are favorable to it.

If thou be the Son of God - Or, a son of God, υιος του Θεου. υιος is here, and in Luke 4:3, written without the article; and therefore should not be translated The Son, as if it were ὁ υιος, which is a phrase that is applicable to Christ as the Messiah: but it is certain, whatever Satan might suspect, he did not fully know that the person he tempted was the true Messiah. Perhaps one grand object of his temptation was to find this out.

Command that these stones - The meaning of this temptation is: "Distrust the Divine providence and support, and make use of illicit means to supply thy necessities."

And when the tempter came to him..... By "the tempter", is meant the devil, see 1 Thessalonians 3:5 so called, because it is his principal work and business, in which he employs himself, to solicit men to sin; and tempt them either to deny, or call in question the being of God, arraign his perfections, murmur at his providences, and disbelieve his promises. When he is here said to come to Christ at the end of forty days and nights, we are not to suppose, that he now first began to tempt him; for the other Evangelists expressly say, that he was tempted of him forty days, Mark 1:13 but he now appeared openly, and in a visible shape: all the forty days and nights before, he had been tempting him secretly and inwardly; suggesting things suitable to, and taking the advantage of the solitary and desolate condition he was in. But finding these suggestions and temptations unsuccessful, and observing him to be an hungered, he puts on a visible form, and with an articulate, audible voice, he said,

if thou be the Son of God; either doubting of his divine sonship, calling it in question, and putting him upon doing so too; wherefore it is no wonder that the children of God should be assaulted with the like temptation: or else arguing from it, "if", or "seeing thou art the Son of God"; for he must know that he was, by the voice which came from heaven, and declared it: and certain it is, that the devils both knew, and were obliged to confess that Jesus was the Son of God, Luke 4:41 by which is meant, not a good, or righteous man, or one dear to God, and in an office; but a divine person, one possessed of almighty power; and therefore, as a proof and demonstration of it, be urges him to

command that these stones be made bread, pointing to some which lay hard by; "say" but the word, and it will be done. He did not doubt but he was able to do it, by a word speaking; but he would have had him to have done it at his motion, which would have been enough for his purpose; who wanted to have him obedient to him: and he might hope the rather to succeed in this temptation, because Christ was now an hungry; and because he had carried his point with our first parents, by tempting them to eat of the forbidden fruit.

Vincent's Word Studies
The Son of God

By its position in the sentence Son is emphatic. "If thou standest to God in the relation of Son."

Bread (ἄπτοι)

Lit., loaves or cakes. So Wyc., loaves. These stones were perhaps those "silicious accretions," which assume the exact shape of little loaves of bread, and which were represented in legend as the petrified fruits of the cities of the plain. By a similar fancy certain crystallizations on Mount Carmel and near Bethlehem are called "Elijah's melons," and the "Virgin Mary's peas;" and the black and white stones found along the shores of the Lake of Galilee have been transformed into traces of the tears of Jacob in search of Joseph. The very appearance of these stones, like the bread for which the faint body hungered, may have added force to the temptation. This resemblance may have been present to Christ's mind in his words at Matthew 7:9.

Geneva Study Bible

People's New Testament
4:3 The tempter came to him. The devil. He chose his time craftily, as he always does when he assails man. Whether he came in a personal form or as the whisper of the evil spirit is uncertain.

If thou be the Son of God. If suggests a doubt, and, perhaps, a taunt. It is a cunning appeal to Christ to work a miracle to satisfy his hunger and to display his power. It would seem an innocent thing for Christ to make bread when he was hungry, for himself, as he afterwards did for the five thousand. Why not? Because if he had availed himself of his Divine power to escape the discomforts and sufferings of humanity he would have failed to suffer as we do, to set us an example in all things, to be tempted in all points as we are; and besides, he came to minister (Mt 20:28 Mr 10:45) never to use his Divine power for their own benefit. To have so exerted it for selfish and vainglorious purposes would have been sinful, and a distrust of God. Christ came to save others, not himself. Self-denial was the law of his mission.

Wesley's Notes
4:3 Coming to him - In a visible form; probably in a human shape, as one that desired to inquire farther into the evidences of his being the Messiah.

Jamieson-Fausset-Brown Bible Commentary
3. And when the tempter came to him-Evidently we have here a new scene.

he said, if thou be the Son of God, command that these stones be made bread-rather, "loaves," answering to "stones" in the plural; whereas Luke, having said, "Command this stone," in the singular, adds, "that it be made bread," in the singular (Lu 4:3). The sensation of hunger, unfelt during all the forty days, seems now to have come on in all its keenness-no doubt to open a door to the tempter, of which he is not slow to avail himself; "Thou still clingest to that vainglorious confidence that Thou art the Son of God, carried away by those illusory scenes at the Jordan. Thou wast born in a stable; but Thou art the Son of God! hurried off to Egypt for fear of Herod's wrath; but Thou art the Son of God! a carpenter's roof supplied Thee with a home, and in the obscurity of a despicable town of Galilee Thou hast spent thirty years, yet still Thou art the Son of God! and a voice from heaven, it seems, proclaimed it in Thine ears at the Jordan! Be it so; but after that, surely Thy days of obscurity and trial should have an end. Why linger for weeks in this desert, wandering among the wild beasts and craggy rocks, unhonored, unattended, unpitied, ready to starve for want of the necessaries of life? Is this befitting "the Son of God?" At the bidding of "the Son of God" surely those stones shall all be turned into loaves, and in a moment present an abundant repast."

Matthew Henry's Concise Commentary
4:1-11 Concerning Christ's temptation, observe, that directly after he was declared to be the Son of God, and the Saviour of the world, he was tempted; great privileges, and special tokens of Divine favour, will not secure any from being tempted. But if the Holy Spirit witness to our being adopted as children of God, that will answer all the suggestions of the evil spirit. Christ was directed to the combat. If we presume upon our own strength, and tempt the devil to tempt us, we provoke God to leave us to ourselves. Others are tempted, when drawn aside of their own lust, and enticed, Jas 1:14; but our Lord Jesus had no corrupt nature, therefore he was tempted only by the devil. In the temptation of Christ it appears that our enemy is subtle, spiteful, and very daring; but he can be resisted. It is a comfort to us that Christ suffered, being tempted; for thus it appears that our temptations, if not yielded to, are not sins, they are afflictions only. Satan aimed in all his temptations, to bring Christ to sin against God. 1. He tempted him to despair of his Father's goodness, and to distrust his Father's care concerning him. It is one of the wiles of Satan to take advantage of our outward condition; and those who are brought into straits have need to double their guard. Christ answered all the temptations of Satan with It is written; to set us an example, he appealed to what was written in the Scriptures. This method we must take, when at any time we are tempted to sin. Let us learn not to take any wrong courses for our supply, when our wants are ever so pressing: in some way or other the Lord will provide. 2. Satan tempted Christ to presume upon his Father's power and protection, in a point of safety. Nor are any extremes more dangerous than despair and presumption, especially in the affairs of our souls. Satan has no objection to holy places as the scene of his assaults. Let us not, in any place, be off our watch. The holy city is the place, where he does, with the greatest advantage, tempt men to pride and presumption. All high places are slippery places; advancements in the world makes a man a mark for Satan to shoot his fiery darts at. Is Satan so well versed in Scripture as to be able to quote it readily? He is so. It is possible for a man to have his head full of Scripture notions, and his mouth full of Scripture expressions, while his heart is full of bitter enmity to God and to all goodness. Satan misquoted the words. If we go out of our way, out of the way of our duty, we forfeit the promise, and put ourselves out of God's protection. This passage, De 8:3, made against the tempter, therefore he left out part. This promise is firm and stands good. But shall we continue in sin, that grace may abound? No. 3. Satan tempted Christ to idolatry with the offer of the kingdoms of the world, and the glory of them.

Posted

Matthew 7 (New International Version, ©2011)

Matthew 7
Judging Others
1 “Do not judge, or you too will be judged. 2 For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you.
3 “Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother’s eye and pay no attention to the plank in your own eye? 4 How can you say to your brother, ‘Let me take the speck out of your eye,’ when all the time there is a plank in your own eye? 5 You hypocrite, first take the plank out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother’s eye.

6 “Do not give dogs what is sacred; do not throw your pearls to pigs. If you do, they may trample them under their feet, and turn and tear you to pieces.

Ask, Seek, Knock
7 “Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you. 8 For everyone who asks receives; the one who seeks finds; and to the one who knocks, the door will be opened.
9 “Which of you, if your son asks for bread, will give him a stone? 10 Or if he asks for a fish, will give him a snake? 11 If you, then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give good gifts to those who ask him! 12 So in everything, do to others what you would have them do to you, for this sums up the Law and the Prophets.

The Narrow and Wide Gates
13 “Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. 14 But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.
True and False Prophets
15 “Watch out for false prophets. They come to you in sheep’s clothing, but inwardly they are ferocious wolves. 16 By their fruit you will recognize them. Do people pick grapes from thornbushes, or figs from thistles? 17 Likewise, every good tree bears good fruit, but a bad tree bears bad fruit. 18 A good tree cannot bear bad fruit, and a bad tree cannot bear good fruit. 19 Every tree that does not bear good fruit is cut down and thrown into the fire. 20 Thus, by their fruit you will recognize them.
True and False Disciples
21 “Not everyone who says to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only the one who does the will of my Father who is in heaven. 22 Many will say to me on that day, ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name and in your name drive out demons and in your name perform many miracles?’ 23 Then I will tell them plainly, ‘I never knew you. Away from me, you evildoers!’
The Wise and Foolish Builders
24 “Therefore everyone who hears these words of mine and puts them into practice is like a wise man who built his house on the rock. 25 The rain came down, the streams rose, and the winds blew and beat against that house; yet it did not fall, because it had its foundation on the rock. 26 But everyone who hears these words of mine and does not put them into practice is like a foolish man who built his house on sand. 27 The rain came down, the streams rose, and the winds blew and beat against that house, and it fell with a great crash.”
28 When Jesus had finished saying these things, the crowds were amazed at his teaching, 29 because he taught as one who had authority, and not as their teachers of the law.
Matthew 7:22

Many will say to me on that day, 'Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name, and in your name drive out demons and perform many miracles?'
On judgment day many will say to me, 'Lord! Lord! We prophesied in your name and cast out demons in your name and performed many miracles in your name.'

On that day many will say to me, ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name, and cast out demons in your name, and do many mighty works in your name?’

"Many will say to Me on that day, 'Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in Your name, and in Your name cast out demons, and in Your name perform many miracles?'

Many will say to me on that day, 'Lord, Lord, we prophesied in your name, drove out demons in your name, and performed many miracles in your name, didn't we?'

Many will say to me on that day, 'Lord, Lord, didn't we prophesy in your name? Didn't we force out demons and do many miracles by the power and authority of your name?'

King James Bible
Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works?

Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in your name? and in your name have cast out devils? and in your name done many wonderful works?

Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy by thy name, and by thy name cast out demons, and by thy name do many mighty works?

Bible in Basic English
A great number will say to me on that day, Lord, Lord, were we not prophets in your name, and did we not by your name send out evil spirits, and by your name do works of power?

Douay-Rheims Bible
Many will say to me in that day: Lord, Lord, have not we prophesied in thy name, and cast out devils in thy name, and done many miracles in thy name?

Darby Bible Translation
Many shall say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied through thy name, and through thy name cast out demons, and through thy name done many works of power?

English Revised Version
Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy by thy name, and by thy name cast out devils, and by thy name do many mighty works?

Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out demons? and in thy name done many wonderful works?

Weymouth New Testament
Many will say to me on that day, "'Master, Master, have we not prophesied in Thy name, and in Thy name expelled demons, and in Thy name performed many mighty works?'

World English Bible
Many will tell me in that day, 'Lord, Lord, didn't we prophesy in your name, in your name cast out demons, and in your name do many mighty works?'

Many will say to me in that day, Lord, lord, have we not in thy name prophesied? and in thy name cast out demons? and in thy name done many mighty things?

In that day - That is, in the last day, the day of judgment; the time when the principles of all pretenders to prophecy and piety shall be tried.

Many will say to me in that day - Εκεινη τη ημερα, in that very day, viz. the day of judgment - have we not prophesied, taught, publicly preached, in thy name; acknowledging thee to be the only Savior, and proclaiming thee as such to others; cast out demons, impure spirits, who had taken possession of the bodies of men; done many miracles, being assisted by supernatural agency to invert even the course of nature, and thus prove the truth of the doctrine we preached?

Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord,.... That is, in the last day, the day of judgment, the great and famous day, fixed by God, unknown to angels and men, which will be terrible to some, and joyful to others; the day in which the faithful ministers of the Gospel shall be owned by Christ, and received into the kingdom of heaven: "many", not of the common people only, but of the preachers of the word, who have filled up the highest station in the church below; not one, or two, or a few of them only, but many of them "will say to me"; to Christ, who will appear then as the judge of quick and dead, to which he is ordained by his Father,

Lord, Lord; not "my Lord, my Lord", as the Syriac version reads it; for they will not be able to claim any interest in him, though they will be obliged to own his dominion, power, and authority over them. The word is repeated to show their importunity, sense of danger, the confusion they will be in, the wretched disappointment they will have; and therefore speak as persons amazed and confounded, having expected they would have been the first persons that should be admitted into heaven. Their pleas follow;

have we not prophesied in thy name? This may be understood either of foretelling things to come; which gift wicked men may have, who have never had any experience of the grace of God, as Balaam, and Caiaphas, and others; or rather of preaching the word, which is sometimes called prophesying, Romans 12:6 and which may be done in the name of Christ, pretending mission and authority from him, and to be preachers of him, and yet be no better than "sounding brass", or "a tinkling cymbal"; yea, nothing at all as to true grace, or spiritual experience.

And in thy name have cast out devils? Diabolical possessions were very frequent in the times of Christ; no doubt but they were suffered, that Jesus might have an opportunity of showing his power over Satan, by dispossessing him from the bodies, as well as the souls of men; and of giving proof of his deity, divine sonship and Messiahship: and this power of casting out devils was given to others, not only to the twelve apostles, among whom Judas was, who had the same power with the rest, and to the seventy disciples; but even to some who did not follow him, and his disciples, Mark 9:38 and some did this in the name of Jesus, who do not appear to have any true faith in him, and knowledge of him; as the vagabond Jews, exorcists, and the seven sons of Sceva, Acts 19:13. An awful consideration it is, that men should be able to cast out devils, and at last be cast to the devil.

And in thy name done many wonderful works? that is, many miracles; not one, or a few only, but many; such as speaking with tongues, removing mountains, treading on serpents and scorpions, and drinking any deadly thing without hurt, and healing all manner of diseases and sicknesses. Judas, for one, was capable of pleading all these things; he had the gift of preaching, and a call from Christ to it, and yet a castaway; he had the power of casting out devils, and yet could not prevent the devil from entering into him; he could perform miracles, do wonders in Christ's name, and yet, at last, was the betrayer of him. These pleas and arguments will be of no use to him, nor of any avail to any at the great day. It may be observed, that these men lay the whole stress of their salvation upon what they have done in Christ's name; and not on Christ himself, in whom there is salvation, and in no other: they say not a syllable of what Christ has done and suffered, but only of what they have done. Indeed, the things they instance in, are the greatest done among men; the gifts they had were the most excellent, excepting the grace of God; the works they did were of an extraordinary nature; whence it follows, that there can be no salvation, nor is it to be expected from men's works: for if preaching the word, which is attended with so much study, care, and labour, will not be a prevailing argument to admit men into the kingdom of heaven; how can it be thought that ever reading, or hearing, or any other external performance of religion, should bring persons thither?

Vincent's Word Studies
Have we not (οὐ)

That form of the negative is used which expects an affirmative answer. It therefore pictures both the self-conceit and the self-deception of these persons. "Surely we have prophesied," etc.

Geneva Study Bible
Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy {d} name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many {e} wonderful works?

(d) By name here is meant mighty working power of God, which every man witnesses that calls upon him.

(e) Properly, powers: Now these excellent works which are done are called powers because of those things which they bring to pass, for by them we understand how mighty the power of God is.

People's New Testament
7:22 Many will say to me in that day. The great day of the Lord.

Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? The Lord chooses out of the greatest class of non-doers to show that all such will fail of entrance. They have omitted the one thing needful, a faithful obedience.

Wesley's Notes
7:22 We have prophesied - We have declared the mysteries of thy kingdom, wrote books; preached excellent sermons: In thy name done many wonderful works - So that even the working of miracles is no proof that a man has saving faith.

Scofield Reference Notes
[1] Devils

Devils, lit demons. To the reality and personality of demons the N.T. scriptures bear abundant testimony. As to their origin nothing is clearly revealed, but they are not to be confounded with the angels mentioned in 2Pet 2:4 Jude 1:6.

Summary: Demons are spirits Mt 12:43,45 are Satan's emissaries Mt 12:26,27 25:41 and Song numerous as to make Satan's power practically ubiquitous. Mk 5:9. They are capable of entering and controlling both men and beasts Mk 5:8,11-13 and earnestly seek embodiment, without which, apparently, they are powerless for evil. Mt 12:43,44 Mk 5:10-12. Demon influence and demon possession are discriminated in the N. T. Instances of the latter are Mt 4:24 Mt 8:16,28,33 9:32 12:22 Mk 1:32 5:15,16,18 Lk 8:35 Acts 8:7 16:16. They are unclean, sullen, violent, and malicious Mt 8:28 9:23 10:1 Mt 12:43 Mk 1:23 5:3-5 9:17,20 Lk 6:18 9:39. They know Jesus Christ as Most High God, and recognize His supreme authority Mt 8:31,32 Mk 1:24 Acts 19:15 Jas 2:19. They know their eternal fate to be one of torment Mt 8:29 Lk 8:31. They inflict physical maladies Mt 12:22 17:15-18 Lk 13:16 but mental disease is to be distinguished from the disorder of mind due to demonical control. Demon influence may manifest itself in religion asceticism and formalism 1Tim 4:1-3 degenerating into uncleanness 2Pet 2:10-12. The sign of demon influence in religion is departing from the faith, i.e. the body of revealed truth in the Scriptures. 1Tim 4:1. The demons maintain especially a conflict with believers who would be sp