Coming out to Christian family?? - The Gay Christian Network

Posted

My Grandad is a priest and beleives in the christian faith and i have to somehow tell him and my family im a lesbian i know a few know and accept it but they arent as strong in the faith. I don't wish to be disowned or looked down upon. when i told my mother i believe she was very close to sending me to a straight camp or whatever they are :/ any advice on how to tell believers about who you are and you cant help it??

Posted

The argument that Christianity is against Gays have largely been lost. More recent Bibles now omit the word homosexual. Recently, 100 Catholic Theologians have said that divorced couples should be able to marry in Church, there will be women priest and that Gays in a loving relationship should also be part of the Church.

With this is mind, only you know your Granddad. Is there a need within you to actually tell.? I would think he already knows anyway.
My experience with my family is that they already knew, there was no need to tell them and they just accepted my partner(now 30yrs) as one of the family. I know I have been lucky with my family. They are very wordly and I suspect you granddad is too.

Posted

my auntie is gay and has been with her partner for now over 18 years and her partner still has to refer to my grandma and grandad as mr and mrs Dibdin....this being said new inlaws of a few months are already allowed mum and dad or first name basis...my auntie was shunned from the family for years and they have no clue as everytime i see them they ask if i have found a nice boy yet :/ i love my family but even my mum is less religious and she doesnt accept it fully. i was reading the new testament the other day and homosexuality was only mentioned once. i believe that the lord made us and he loves us the way he made us but my grandad wont even allow the word evolve to be said in front of him even though not mentioning evolution :/ he is very opinionated. and yes there is i am in a happy relationship in which i want to introduce her to my whole family yes it wont be for a year or so yet but i have to be prepared. and hopefully come out to them before i introduce her to them thank you kelvin for your heart warming story it does give me hope

Posted

Unless there is a direct reason,why say anything. Most likely your family have or will figure it out. I have been with my Partner for over 18 years and my family loves him. We never felt the need to have a " sit down come out". My parents are "Born again Catholics " and smart people, they loved us and that seemed enough. I am not saying this is for everyone, but worked for us.

One last point is that I find most ( not all) are much more loving and accepting once the meet " one of us". We are no longer some gay stranger but a personal friend or family member. I wish it was this easy for everyone, but you never know. I lived in fear of my family finding out for years....and it was a wast of time.

Posted

I am older than most of you.....so I take another angle to this. I have been where many of you are now. First I want to say my family knows and when I did come out to brother and sisters, it was no big deal. Second it really should not matter.....it is their problem if it does. I know it is scary but I have found it best to be honest...answering only what they ask and not more. You also might consider answering their question with a question, "why, does it matter?"
I, myself have always felt any questions regarding ones sexuality as being rude and insensitive. We sure as he'll don't go around asking if one is straight....so why do they think it is ok to ask us.......the old double standard.

Posted

Hi just remember God created everyone and loves all people.

Posted

If your family has a problem and if you are one who believes in god. If someone in your family say something like you are going to hell which you are not going too. Like Ian said God created everyone and loves all people. Tell this verse from the bible it may help some.

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

– John 3:16 (King James Version)

But other then that sorry hope my little advice helps but coming out is still up to you in who you still want to come out too good luck.

Posted

My partner t came out to her parents a few months ago and her family iws Christian and there are over 150 of them. Her. Mom called and told her they aqlready knew qnd it was disappointing but htey talk almost every day and their relationship hasn't changed

Me on the other hand think I was the LAST one to know, only realizing it in 1999. I can't come out openly though bcuz my oldest brother is the biggest hatful homiphobe there is and he is currently the trustee on my property ownership papers and on my house so I have to manage him just so he wonast sell it away under my feet if he became vindictive. I have been trying to get him to sign it over to my best buddy who lives near me and would do the right thing, not over 5 h ours away and maybe see him once every two or three years!

So do what you need but make sure you don't set yourself up to be hurt! Pray for a while before hand, and our Lord will lead you! GBU

Posted

Yo, Andy dude! This is the Christian chat room! Take your offer else where please and Thank You.

Posted

Andy, that is inappropriate and offensive for this chat room.