Russ_Nielsen

How do you handle being Christian and gay at the same time - The Gay Christian Network

Russ_Nielsen
Posted

I'd like to hear your experiences. I'm still deeply divided because of my Christian upbringing. Am I the only who fights that kind of mental battle?

Posted

I too have the same "mental battle" as you. I really hope we get some good dialog going here. My biggest problem is that I don't want to go to a "gay" church, as I feel they can be as prejudice against straights as some Straight churches are against gays. I was kicked out of my old church when they found out. Yet I still have strong Chrustian belief. So hope we get some good insight here.

Posted

It's tough bc I live in the Bible Belt in West Virginia, but they can say what they ant God helped me thru coming out of the closet. You need to find peace in life. Remember loving yourself is not a sin. I've knew I was gay since i was like 6. I still remember my obsession with Aaron Carter. "Born This Way" is an excellent song to listen to and watch "Prayers For Bobby" it's a great movie and its a true story. It gets hard at time I won't lie, but God will send you a way of fighting homophobia at church. They sin just as much as we do. That's why Jesus died.

Posted

We do not need to justify our existence to anyone.
We wouldn't BE here in the 1st place if Our Lord, who lived and died for all, didn't want us here. Most of us, (People who are gay) are peaceful loving people.
I think the Haters and hypocrites have far more to worry about then we do.
I hope these links from youtube might impart peace to your heart and soul.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8gqxHnlawPI&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ihxlP7oCIQs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Gn1W3cl400

Be at peace, for we are Lovers and Loved!

I hope this helps

Love

You can find more vids of them that singing group; Libera, at youtube or at their website on face book. If you would like to buy their music then I highly recommend yourmusic.com where most of the CDs are just $6.99 and standard shipping (Is guess what?) Free! Awesome! you can mention me if you like. God is Love, and I believe, that anyone who loves God and tries their best to love other's, this means Love not necessarily sex, but then doesn't exclude it either, Just make sure you are not having sex to use the other person for your or even their gratification. There's a world of difference between actually loving someone, being a loving person, and just using that person for sexual gratification, which would be lust and not love,...............and I will leave that between you and Our Maker, for I will judge anyone, except lets say that I know that if I "hang" with them would bring me down or cause me to "sin". There was a time, long ago, when and where I thought having sex was love,.......................I was wrong and at 55, now know better. I also thought that if I love someone enough, somehow, it would help their addictions or abusive behaviour towards me,............OK, I was wrong about that too. Any more then you loving someone so much and can't see why they don't choose to love you back. I believe I have learnt, the hard way, that I can not save someone who doesn't want to be saved. They will see you as a "mark" and use your good intentions and faith against you. So while you may love them at a distance, keep them in your prayers, but as I told one person, who threw my words back at me,..............Him."But I thought you said that you loved me!" Me;"I do!! But that doesn't mean I will or you have the right to walk all over me, use and abuse me!"
Being a loving person isn't easy, but I believe that as a "Christian", means that I will do my best to love others, even the haters, but I will keep a respectable distance between me and them, but also keep them close in my heart when I pray.
I am sure you have either heard this song but if you didn't then you ARE in for a treat!

Be "Patient" through the French Introduction!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=myTzrtr46dI&feature=related

And then of course:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=St3U2kBSIgQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GnPWIcE6eIU&feature=related

May Our Lord Bless, keep and watch over all of you.

Peace and Joy!

Andre~
Actually, Please check out the "Discussions" Link and research your answer and/or questions, is there because I have written enough on the subject, and I sure you know that voice in your heart that says love is OK, and hate isn't, so ask God in your heart and don't listen to others

Russ_Nielsen
Posted

Thanks for the responses! You're right the first step to learn to accept who you are and then learn to love that person. But I still struggle with what has been drilled into my head since I was very small that homosexuals are evil sinners. How can I reconcile that view of myself and what I really am? Being a peaceable person is easy for me but dealing with the hatred and vitriol that religious people throw at me is not. I agree that the best course is not to listen to them and move on.

Michael_Wolfe
Posted

I have found that the MCC Church I go to welcome all LGBT and Str8 people in and we don't put others down because God made us in his likeness. We are to love each other for who they are. I want to say that I live in Norfolk Va were one of the biggest christian college is. So the only thing I can say is look for MCC church and attend a service to see how it is. There has to be web site you can check to see if you have one near you. Remember god loves you no matter what. Peace be with you. Your brother in Christ

Posted

Hello and welcome. That being said please take to heart what I'm about to say. I too had this struggle. I have been accepted in a straight church, and am currently a member of an MCC church that has a straight deacon. The bible says that God is love, and Jesus wants to be your best friend. It also says that he was pierced for our sins, and when he died the veil was rent so we could talk to God directly. You were known by God before you were born. He makes no mistakes or junk. You are his precious beloved child. He gave his only begotten son that we would be saved. Jesus shepherded the sinners, and on several occasions said let he who is without sin cast the first stone. Judge not lest ye be judged. Find peace with yourself and you will find God is waiting for you to love and trust him. The bible also says one more thing I want you to remember.I can do all things thru Christ who strengthens me. Let God love you and love yourself. Your sister in Christ, kel

Posted

A Lot has been covered.. But I think the bottom line is knowing that God has created us, loves us and we need to understand and LOVE ourselves as we are.

Posted

Well, well Dear Russ Nielsen and Mark Sanders. This world is very,very HYPOCRITE, let me tell you a brief story. When I was young I did have relation with so many married man, with a " REPUTATION " in to be only one way to have sex, and have adorable wife and children. One day I so one of this man, with who I been have an incredible sex, comment with is friend in the train station, look that gay (point to me), they should go to a special prision and leave in there, and inside of my mind was running, Oh if I can shout and tell you about my sex with your friend, you will get a big surprise. What I want to say Dear Russ and Mark, this man will go to the church and will say, to have a sex relation with the same sex is a sin, and say Oh Lord we didn't born to be like that, he sin more than you and me. Don't feel deeplay divided, Dear Russ because of your Christian believe. God love everybody honest and no matter if you are gay or straight, the human behavior divide us, no God. The important thing to do, is to be honest with you and other people, be respecful and help other as much you can, that's what God Love. God bless You from
Jorge

Posted

I was brought up with the hate from the church and family. I realized there must be more to this than what was being said and decided to take a theology course in college. It was one of the most eye-opening experiences of my life.

People will pick and choose the verses they wish to use, and then drop all the others. One must read all the verses, and then add a little history along the way to understand what the Bible is trying to say.

My Christ died, because I am imperfect and unable to live the old law. Weak of body, strong of spirit. Anyone who takes what is fed by the religious Reich is dooming themselves to a life of self hatred, and denial. We must understand all that is said, what it actually means, and how it pertains to our lives.

No matter what anybody says, the Bible was put together by man who selected what would be included. The only important thing to remember, is Christ died for our sins ... both straight and gay.

When I ask WWJS, they cannot give me an answer, because Jesus never mentioned homosexuality ...not one time in all his ministry. I would think if it were that important of a subject, then he would have at least said something.

Good luck in your exploration. It is a wonderful trip!

Russ_Nielsen
Posted

Thanks everyone for the discussion.

Posted

Saturday, March 12th, 11, 18:40 Hrs. M.D.T.
Hi Group,
I'm a Gay Mormon, I Joined the Chuch at About 21 as It Appealed to Me. Still Does in Many Ways. I Didn't "Come Out Till Years Later - 29 About. I haven't Forgotten the Kabgaroo Court Proceedings I Went Through Either. I Haven't
Forgotten the Treatment I Put Up With From Conservative Mormons Who Figure They are So Rightous and Your Shit if Your Gay, or Common Law or
Have an Affair etc, etc.
No One is Perfect by Any Means. My Mormon Values Still Mean a Lot to Me in MY Own Special Ways. Haven't Been Active in the Mormon Church for over 25 Yrs and Yes I Still Keep My Gaydar on 24/7 Yet It Allows Me to B Able to Look
Inside and See Things Others Miss or B on the Inside - Look Outside and See
All that People Miss Out On. Miss Out a Lot. I'm Not Perfect Either, But With My Values I've learned Over the Years as a Gay Mormon Has I Think Made It Easier to See Others as They Are Because I've See It from Inside and Out and
It Makes it Easier to Understand Others as Well. Not Always Easy, But I Try to
Make It Work Somehow.
Thanks for Letting Me Have a Say.
Operater,

Posted

March 12th, 11, 19:00 Hrs. M.D.T.
Hi Group,
Being Christian & Gay. It Says a Lot Really. Best Views, Make Your Christian Values Work in For YOU Your Favour. Not Someone Elses. Some are in Conflict, YES. Lets B Realistic on This. Guess the Best Thing is to Show Respect for Our Gay/Straight Associates so They See the Positive Side of You
Not Always the Negative Side. Negative Sides So Up as Well. By Keeping
Your Gaydar on 24/7 and Watching Whats Around You Gives You Some
Protection so that When the Negative Sides Come Out From Others, You've Got some Positive Vales to Show and Protect You Because You Kept and Held on to That You Vlued Most, Your Values and Your Respect for Others.
Not Easy in a Hostile Envirement but It Works Somehow.
Thanks Group,
Operater.

Posted

God has really blessed me with a church where the members and leaders are totally accepting of me as I am. Certainly all of the church leaders and workers know that I'm gay and have no problem with it. (I'm actually the church organist for the Anglican Fellowship in Tenerife - It's part of the "Church Of England").

In fact, I can honestly say that through all my years of being gay and working in the church I have had far more verbal abuse from gay men for being Christian than I ever had from Christians for being gay. The worst I've ever experienced from a "Christian Church" was when I went to a big revival meeting once, and half-a-dozen ill-advised evangelicals decided that they could "lay hands on me" and "pray me straight". I just let them get on with it, and prayed for them that God would cure their ignorance. ;-)

I don't deny that there are other gay men, lesbians and trans-gendered folk out there whose experiences of the church have been somewhat less enjoyable than my own, and I pray that those people do not allow the fear and prejudice of a few misguided souls, however forceful or vocal, to keep them from seeing the truth that God is our Father too.

Posted

We are judged by many.......but THAT is their problem....show me where we are to judge one another.....

Michael_Wolfe
Posted

we are not the ones that should Judge anyone only God should..

Michael_Wolfe
Posted

@Ian Happy to see you back..Miss you babe..

Samantha_Cruz_51415
Posted

hi my name samaha i am 18 an i am bi.i know i was bi sence the 3 grade when i stated liking girl when even one was like guys.i grow up in a very bad home dad hit and bit on me and my sister who is also bi.in the 8 grade i wanted to came out and i did to my mom and sister who know i was and had been for years
. well i started going to church that year and i love that church till this day.when i came out to the church one person who was taking me to the church came over to me and sayed bing bi and gay was a sin and wroug. so i started to say that i want bi for 4 year till sinor year of high school when i meet to of my firend that r gay they told me how they were not going to leave what other people said to them keep them ffrom bing in love.well over a few month i keep geting close to the girl they were sisters
. one weekend i was at a church thing with the girl and alot of other friend when i keep haering god till me that i need to excipe mysalf and all of it even the bi said of me.so on march 5 i with the hlep og the girl came out to all the save ppl and this year i came out to very one even the one at my church who i didnt think would like me after that. well i was wroug only a small group of people came agnts me for bing bi alot of people that i didnt think would like it stand good friend with me and didnt cure that i was bi or not it made me really happy to know that i have friend and family that love me for me and not who i fall in love with.

Russ_Nielsen
Posted

Samantha, You've been very lucky that most of the folks you know have been supportive of you. The church I was raised in absolutely does not allow gays in their congregation. In fact, they try to de-program you, have you write journals recounting how you shouldn't be gay. I've heard a lot of other things that seem beyond believe like administering shock treatments to fix the gay part of their brains, etc. All this from "christian" people trying to cure gays. According to my old church, all gays will rot in hell.

Posted

I was raised in the church and was taught that God didnt like gays. So it was a big shock when i realized i was gay. i was in denial for a long time. in the last yr i joined a new church closer to home. i got close to a few church members and told them i was gay. the told me that God didnt like it and i needed to be delivered from it. i now am not allowed to be in any ministry until i get "delivered" what would you do?

Samantha_Cruz_51415
Posted

when i come out on march 5 a friend of the girl come up to me and sayed the same thing the i can get delivered from bing bi or gay.well i dont think so and i know alot of ppl who say we chose to be bi or gay.y would any1 chose to live thought what we go thought every day.chose to get pick on bit up same time yell at for what we do.no i dont think anyone would chose this.i truely belive that we were born like this.
when i came out to every one this year even to the church ppl about of the one that didnt like it said i chose to be bi that i was not born the this.that my family who same of them are gay or bi made me like this or that i had a bad family and that y i am this y.
so i keep thinking andd think y would god the king or king the lord or lord the only god say that my love or anyone gay love was wroug becuase he live in love .in the bible in new t it say that god live in love so y is it wroug to be a LGBT if ower love so wroug.that when i started to belive with all my heart that it not wroug bc god live in god every type of love.

Samantha_Cruz_51415
Posted

i love god dont get me wroug i do love god with all my heart i will follow him.but if it was wroug to be gay this 1 y r we here to day?2 y r there so many of us out there?i think that two many ppl read into the bible to get reason to hate what they hate.i also think that ppl what reson to hate or dislike use so they use the bible when i dont think there any rule in there or word that sayes its wroug to be gay but i am for sure on that.i love bing who i am and i have lean to be ok with who i am in every way .

Posted

Hey everybody in there, is not God who don't like us, is the preconception of the people, about our gay side. At this time of my live I really don' care if a church doesn't accept me in the congregation, I pray at home in God listen me anyway.

Samantha_Cruz_51415
Posted

yeah but i bible is really big about use bing with other jesus lover