Cassandra_Mörk

advice on coming out - Lesbian Ladies

Cassandra_Mörk
Posted

when do you know it's right to come out to your family? I'm really scared of telling them. Mainly because i have no idea of how they will react. I think most of them would be okay with it but it's my dad i'm worried about. He usually makes comments about it when we watch tv or a movie and something like that comes up. But I can't really tell if he's joking, like he always does or if he's dead serious. I'm really nervous, so i was just wondering how all of you came out? (for those who have.)

Posted

For me, my dad actually guessed and asked me if I was gay (which shocked the hell out of me lol), but when I admitted to it, he kind of ignored me for a bit until he was used to the idea. It took him some time to come around, but now he is really supportive. The rest of my family (grandparents, aunts/uncles, etc) I had to come out to. There's not necessarily a 'right time'... For me it was when I was no longer able to stand lying about who I really am. I addressed them at a family dinner. They've all accepted me for who I am, and are really great and loving and supportive.
Just be honest and open with your family, and continue to be exactly who you are. Even if they are not comfortable with it at first, they will eventually come to see that you are still the same great person, and that there's nothing wrong and nothing to fear. They are your family, they will love you for you, don't hide who that is. If they are ignorant about homosexuality, educate them!

Posted

When I came out I pretty much just said, well, I'm gay, get over it, I'm still coming to family reunions! And I'm coming with my woman!!
There are some family members I haven't told yet because I just want to brace them for it, I don't care too much if they reject me, but I do care about them.
My dad said "You are not gay, It's just a phase!" But now he's cool with it, Basically if they don't accept you it usually just takes time, and if they never come around they weren't worth it in the first place.

Good luck in your endevors!

Posted

watch latino beginings. watch the end when marisol is walking her mom to the car. her mom tells her, "i want u to one day get married and have kids" listen to what marisol tells her mom. sometimes its not about sitting ur parents down and telling them, sometimes it happens just when they say the right thing. dont worry tho, when u feel its time, it'll be that time.

Posted

i was so scared that my family would think i was some kind of a freak for being a lesbian that i kept it from them for 3 years. my mum noticed how angry i was about something and tried to get it out of me then one day at school i couldn't take it anymore and sent my mum a text telling her i thought that i was a lesbian. she told me that she already knew and that she had known for quite a while. me and mum kept it from my dad for a few weeks and when i wrote a letter telling him and my sister about it. my dad and my sister came in to my room and gave me a hug and said they already knew. my dad makes comments all the time about gays and lesbians like he calls me a rug muncher, i don't know wat your father says but maybe he says stuff or makes comments about homosexuality because he might knows something about you and he's trying to get a reaction.

Yenny_Black
Posted

i am a lesbian