Eric_Dean_Pyatt

I need help with introducing lgbt support at my church - The Gay Christian Network

Posted

I need help on getting my class and ultmatly the church itself involved in shoing love, understanding and providing suport both emotional and phiaical to lgbt youth and adults. I see and and see within the youth some of what I went throughand I want to help them.

Eugene_Parker
Posted

well i guess the first question would be how open is your church to lgbt communities

Posted

Im not shure but they seem to be verry loving and famly centerd . Im out and proud not to mention punk goth in style and theyve never been anything but loving and caring

Posted

I hope you manage the sit with your church it would be great to learn that some churches are ok with this in my experience it is a battle. All the very best in your battle

Posted

Having worked with several people on getting this done, and I have to say we were met with limited success, go to your minister first. That is where we messed up. IF you can get the backing of the minister for a gay ministry in the church, you stand a better chance of getting it adopted.

What type of church is yours? That will dictate where you will stand many times.

Good luck and bless your heart for at least trying.

Posted

We're suthern babtist. (yes i know my spelling is terrable) we're a Big church. So going through the back door chanels is a bad idea?

Posted

As they say, "Just Do It!" Pray, put your faith in God, and you cannot fail. You may have a setback or two, but eventually you will prevail, if it is the will of God. Now I sound like a Jewish mother, but I am serious.

I'm not so sure I would pick Southern Baptist for your encounter, but if God is telling you it is time for a change, then proceed. Just know, that the reaction is not that of God's, but of man. I hope you understand that last statement.

Shalom_Lamanilao
Posted

It's nice that this is possible in some churches. In catholic churches, this is nowhere near a possibility. LOL.

Posted

Shalom.. it is getting closer than you think, especially here in the US. The Pope won't give in, but hey, it isn't the first time the renegades have gone the other way. I have found many priests, for one reason or another, who support the GLTB community and actually have set up classes of sort for those members. It will change, but it will take and American Pope, and we know that's not going to happen.

Posted

I know of so many gay or gay-friendly priests. They must find it hard. Something must change.

Posted

It will, but as slow as the Church is to make change, I don't think i will live to see it. It isn't only the Catholic church that needs to change, it the who Christian family that needs to take the Leap of Faith to understand what the Bible says, when it was said, and to what end.

Russ_Nielsen
Posted

Establishing gay friendly ministry is difficult if the pastor or minister isn't on board with the whole idea. I've never heard of any such thing in the Southern Baptist church or in the Mormon or Catholic Churches. The Anglican Church of Canada has been very open (mostly) to gays or at least attempting to be more open.

Shalom_Lamanilao
Posted

Wow...judging from your comments...I am very encouraged. I would love to have a GLBT group in my church!

Posted

As I said, and Russ agreed, you must have the pastor at least understanding. IF that is not the case, then you need to seek out a gay accepting church, whether it is MCC or some other denomination who is accepting.

Living here in the Bible belt, I can tell you there are some in the Southern Baptists who want to become gay friendly, but the organization, picks out the verses which condemn us and leave the rest along.

You can hit your head against the wall or find a church that is accepting.