D.M_Barrera

18 boys - Lesbian Ladies

D.M_Barrera
Posted

So I've been a coach for some time now, I've coach little boys, and girls 10-15 years old. But this season I will coach boys 12-15 years old....18 boys to be exact! But my supervisor warned me that atleast two of the 18 boys have "trouble" with women as their authority.

Any advice on how to respond to anti-femenist? haha

Krystle_Monaghan
Posted

Tell them all (talk to them as a group) from the start, you you expect them to treat each other and your self with respect and in turn they will be respected.
Warn that you will not tolerate poor attitudes and behavior and if they wish to behave in this way they can can do it else were.

Im sure your supervisor will not expect you to have to endure unfair working conditions.

Hope it helps.

Posted

I'm with Krystle on that.
Also, if you know if they had prior coaches, especially male ones, ask them how had the boys practice and incorporate that into your coaching at the beginning, it'll help them make a transition that may very well be difficult for them especially if they have been taught otherwise their whole life. Giving them something they are familiar with will help you gain credibility. Additionally, giving clear reasons (but short) behind the things you have practice is beneficial to any teaching, "I want you to practice passing the ball to build strength in your arms, coordination, and aim."

Easy peasey, might still have trouble but it'll probably help a little.

In my opinion never go the, "You have to respect me because I'm a woman and women have suffered" route... I never respect someone because of their gender, I respect them for their talents and hard work, which may be good to start with, but leave out the ages an genders because it's not important and just say how long you've been coaching and what successes your teams have had and your philosophy.

I've been training to teach for sometime XD.

Krystle_Monaghan
Posted

Well put Jonie =)

Becky_Chesson_50923
Posted

Get ya baps out xD haha just kiddin :P

D.M_Barrera
Posted

Great advice ladies! Thanx! Jonie are yu a teacher?

Posted

Not yet, but getting closer, well hopefully anyway. The way things are going there will be no schools to teach in.

D.M_Barrera
Posted

Haha yeh, its a real problem there