Catherine_Sosinsky

New to this and School! - Lesbian Ladies

Catherine_Sosinsky
Posted

Hi there, I know it says I've been a member for a little bit but I have no idea about this place. Just moved and started college after 5 years of being in the military. So yea, that's what's up with the new and new!

jessicazylee
Posted

Hi! Welcome to the site!
Lots of ppl use this site to make new friends, or to look for hookups. Luckily, if your profile states that u're not looking for that, it seems to thresh out the latter group [unless that's what u're looking for]

lots of pretty cool groups, but I dont think they're utilized that well. Most of the group discussions seem to rehash the same topics [looking for sugar momma/daddys, not enough good lesbians/gays, bisexual bashing, or bemoaning biphobia...]

but I really ahve to say, check out hte CityScene. If you're lucky enough to have one where you live, you can check out cool places in your area

jessicazylee
Posted

anyhow, where u going to school? what are you studying?

I'm from Purdue University and major in Political Science. I'm currently in Shanghai, but will be moving to Taipei in a week [I'm a 3rd culture kid aka expat brat, so i jet around the world as much as an army kid]

Catherine_Sosinsky
Posted

Wow, thanks for the info!

I'm just going to a community college for the moment but I eventually would like to end up at UC San Diego, UC Los Angeles or UC Berkley majoring in Sociology/Psychology. My girlfriend is at UC Davis right now studying Bio-chem (that's her in the picture on the left). Me going to a school in California would be great for that reason as well as these schools have some the top programs for my area of study throughout the US.

Wow! May I ask what you intend to do with your Political Science degree?

jessicazylee
Posted

nice, I'm originally from California. Currently job searching is somewhat on hold since I'm applying to citizenship in Taiwan and will be unable to leave for a year. I hope to eventually either join a corp and be in their PR or communications dept, or to join an NGO.

My sorority has a chapter at UCLA! Check us out: Gamma Rho Lambda, progressive sorority. At least back at Purdue, we were the only social greeks that were open to transgender members [greeks are generally classified as social, profession or service, or a mixture]. We try as much as possible to have our offices housed in the university's LGBTQ/Queer centers, so check us out

so what do u plan to do with soc/psych?

Catherine_Sosinsky
Posted

Oh wow, very nice. When was in Iraq with the military I worked with some NGO's, some of the nicest people I thought. I hope you get your citizenship, I know how much of a hassle it can be. I was born in Italy on a US Installation and have all my Italian birth certificates but I also have all my certificates of birth abroad too. Oh it's a pain when I need to register for my license or voter registration and of course my passport.

I'd like to be either a clinical counselor or a psychiatrist, but I'm not sure as to what field specifically I'd like to do as far as focus on a certain disability or age group. I think if I choose it early on, it will end up closing me out of a lot of subjects and it might be one I find more interesting over the other.

jessicazylee
Posted

yea, I'm becoming a Taiwanese citizen due to health care. Taiwanese have national health insurance, and the quality of their healthcare ranks better than the USA. My uncle has just passed away from cancer, and my great uncle [who was the former head doctor of the top hospital in taipei] claims it was the USA that killed him. Substandard care, numerous delays [insurance company], and finally it was the threat of bankruptcy that got him to return to Taiwan.

I'm very excited to get involved in gay rights in Taiwan... though to be honest I have no idea what to do. Taiwan doesn't have gay marriage, but they've had a bill sitting in congress since 1999 [and 70% of hte population is pro-ssm, and those against are like my mother, who's against for tax reasons]. most of the feeling is that gov recognition isnt necessary for nationwide recognition, and marriage doesnt come with the ridic benefits that it does in the USA.

keep things broad, u can always go back and specialize. Plus being broad allows u to deal with multiple issues that may come up.