You'd have to ask yourself "what are these people thinking'? - The Gay Christian Network

Posted

Lawmakers vote to ban picketing at Tucson funerals

By PAUL DAVENPORT, Associated Press Paul Davenport, Associated Press
1/11/2011

PHOENIX – Arizona legislators quickly approved emergency legislation Tuesday to head off picketing by a Topeka, Kan., church near the funeral service for a 9-year-old girl who was killed in the Tucson shootings. Unanimous votes by the House and Senate sent the bill to Gov. Jan Brewer for her expected signature. It would take effect immediately.

Without specifically mentioning the Tucson shooting, the proposed law prohibits protests at or near funeral sites.

Dozens of lawmakers co-sponsored the bill, and legislative action was completed within 90 minutes. The Senate's committee hearing took just three minutes.

The Westboro Baptist Church said Monday it plans to picket Thursday's funeral for Christina Taylor Green because "God sent the shooter to deal with idolatrous America." The fundamentalist church has picketed many military funerals to draw attention to its view that the deaths are God's punishment for the nation's tolerance of homosexuality.

Lawmakers denounced the church's plan to picket a child's funeral.

"This is just horrific that ... people have to deal with this. We shouldn't have to do this in time of great pain for our state," said Sen. Kyrsten Sinema, a Phoenix Democrat.

The girl was the youngest of the six people killed during the shooting at an event held by U.S. Rep. Gabrielle Giffords, who was among 14 people injured. Giffords was shot in the head and critically wounded.

Numerous states have passed laws restricting protests at funerals after members of the Westboro church began protesting at the funerals of soldiers killed in Iraq and Afghanistan.

The Arizona legislation is modeled on an Ohio law that was upheld by the 6th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals, Sinema said.

The four-paragraph Arizona bill makes it a misdemeanor punishable by up to six months in jail to picket or conduct other protest activities within 300 feet of a funeral or burial service — about the length of a football field. The prohibition applies from one hour before the event to one hour after.

Shirley Phelps-Roper, a church member and a daughter of its pastor, said the prohibition wouldn't matter because church members plan to picket at one of two intersections more than 1,000 feet from the church where the girl's service will be held.

Phelps-Roper also said church members plan picketing Friday in conjunction with a service for another victim of the shooting, U.S. District Judge John M. Roll.

Sen. Paula Aboud, a Tucson Democrat, said volunteers in Tucson were organizing a human shield to block the protesters from view of victim family members.

Sinema said the prohibition applies only to funeral and burial sites because courts have struck down picketing prohibitions for procession routes.

"This is a good compromise that doesn't trample our God-given rights," said Senate President Russell Pearce, a Mesa Republican.

Sen. Ron Gould, a Republican from Lake Havasu City, voted for the bill but earlier was the only senator who objected to suspending rules requiring several days of legislative consideration before a final vote.

Gould cited the public's right to know what lawmakers are considering. "And when we suspend those rules mistakes get made," he added.

End of article

I do not set the rules here, but I think it may be prudent, that if we are quoting from a source, that we name that source/where it was found or printed, and give credit to the Authors of the sources as well as the news source.
But that's just me.

We are Christian, We are GLBTQ and Proud, But Thank you God! that we are not members of The Westboro Baptist Church, whom most other Baptist Churches renounce! As well as most of society, and even members of their own city!

In memory of a 9-year-old princess, that was stuck down way too early, but we will see her in the Hands of Our Saviour, safe and sound, we commend her into your grace, Precious Jesus!

I hope no one here will think this too irreverent for her, but it is in keeping with the times, and I pray that you find some relevance in this song to the Haters from that "Church".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_j6IBdHW_rY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bWADVDHPK24

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fg2AYy4yO9c

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XIYj_QOvZ0c

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6uB4lT5CblA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8gqxHnlawPI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pxDWGud8pDY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FTv9m8c6hnw

Rest in Peace Angel, we will see you in the light of the Resurrection of the Saints and Martyrs, untill then,.... please pray for us as we also pray for you.

Posted

And then this guy? "This is a good compromise that doesn't trample our God-given rights," said Senate President Russell Pearce, a Mesa Republican.

God "To the Best of my little knowledge, doesn't advocate hate, in speech, action or deed". and is therefore cannot be called or justified as a Christian "fundamentalist" value, nor is it or can it be deem as "God-given rights." To hate and hurt people is not a "God-given rights".

Especially when they are grieving at the lost of a lost one and emotions or raw

Due to Arizona's Liberal guns laws, I wouldn't want to piss someone off as a loved one who is a Innocent victim, and then to blame another group or the nation as a whole i.e. : "draw attention to its view that the deaths are God's punishment for the nation's tolerance of homosexuality."

I am not advocating any volence towards this group, but I dare say this, you might be really hard pressed, to find a jury, who might feel that they weren't are asking for it, and have been long over due.
Because I may be wrong, When you press peoples buttons, you may be actually pulling the trigger on someone, like the man who did this horrific crime.

And again here: in the above article:

The Westboro Baptist Church said Monday it plans to picket Thursday's funeral for Christina Taylor Green because "God sent the shooter to deal with idolatrous America." The fundamentalist church has picketed many military funerals to draw attention to its view that the deaths are God's punishment for the nation's tolerance of homosexuality.

I beg to defer: I do not believe that Hate in speech, action deed or inaction (What I mean by that, is people who stand by and do nothing, refuse to do anything when a crime, injustice, or with hold humanitarian aide, to a country, because of natural disasters when we don't like or agree with their laws, rules, or lack of respect for human rights")

But that is just me.

And I am human, Just ask Sister M. Messer

PS. I stop, email notifications, because I was getting too many of them and I was spending more time deleting the notifications that I should care to, due to most ISPs in mail box restrictions, it isn't a refection on any one here

Posted

God has heard our prayers Brother Andre, they will not picket at Christiane's service, only for the judge

Posted

My dearest and most beloved brother in Christ, you are our leader for a reason. Although I can quote my bible, and I know how I am supposed to behave, I don't believe that I could behave myself if faced with these supposed "Christians". I have told you a touch of my hard, harsh past. My gut reaction to these peaple is to retaliate and then tell God I'm sorry for being out of Control. Who are they. Who gave them the right to speak for my God. My God says turn the other cheek. Not harrass innocent or courageous people. I am so quick to defend those who cannot defend themselves. I Wish that justifiable anger didn't exist. It give that evil I was raised with an out. How dare that Church call themselve a church of God and behave so badly. I will pray for them, but that does not mean that what they do does not grieve me. I pray for the day I can be as you are. Always, kel

Posted

I too wish I could be like you Andre, with your beautiful spirit and gentle soul, our prayers are being answered every day, today was the first day my congresswoman opened her eyyes