My "This I Believe" Statement - Writers Nook

Posted

Ok, so first off, I had about 30 minutes to write this while all the other classes had a full week. Second, I read it differently because I was so nervous, I missed lines and I added some more personal stuff while reading it outloud but this is about 95% accurate as to how I read it. Third, it was about two months ago that iIthis and I still have people coming up to me and complimenting me on it so here it is for people here to read.

Mixing it Up
I believe that love is love no matter what skin color you have or what your sexual preference is. It shouldn’t matter if a girl wants to date other girls or if a black guy wants to date a white girl. In many places it doesn’t matter, but it’s in the few places where it does matter that count (like Podunk Nixa where I come from). A mother should love her son, a father should approve of his daughter’s life choice, no matter what the circumstances are. I was kicked out of my house because I am gay, my parents will never know how much this hurt me. I couldn’t understand why they couldn’t just accept me.
I believe that life could be much easier if we just loved what we love. Allow ourselves to openly love what we love. As I went through most of my high school life pretending to be something I was not made me completely miserable I suffered from depression and all my parents could say was it was my own fault. Ouch. It doesn’t even have to do with loving another person. Why must people judge if the varsity football player loves to cook, or if the quiet girl in all the classes practices a different religion? Or in my case a Baptist who is queer. No wonder I always get weird looks when I say that it just doesn’t mix.
Society has always been suppressed by unspoken rules saying that you must conform to be like everyone else and anything else is wrong. If every single person were to be true to his or herself then think of how much happier people would be. Don’t go out and take a job that you do not want to do just because your parents want you to, or because it makes good money. If people lived life to do what made them the happiest, that is within the boundaries of the law, then everyone would be able to function better. I believe that there should be no laws preventing gay marriage. Who has the right to tell someone that they cannot get married because it’s not “right”? Who is to say what is considered “right” or “wrong” when it comes down to love, no one. If I cannot marry the one I love why would I want to pay my taxes? Why support a country that does not support me. Now don’t hate me because I may seem non patriotic but trust me I am.
I believe that people need to be accepting, love everyone, and be tolerant. Let interracial couples be able to walk around Hicksville, Missouri without getting dirty looks. Let the lesbian or gay couple of campus walk around holding hands without fag jokes getting thrown out. And trust me I’ve heard a few funny ones I’ve repeated myself, but other ones kind of hurt. The bulk of Americans are not mocked or laughed at for being straight, for both parties in a relationship having the same skin color. Have you ever heard a “hey you white couple” jokes or “hey heterosexual go back where you came from” (besides of course at the choices event). So why should the minority be harassed? This I believe, do not judge others because we have no right to judge and we don’t want to be judged ourselves. This I believe, let love be open, not restricted. This I believe.

Sandra_Rodrigo
Posted

Its good, Haylee, and I think people need to remind themselves of these things every now and then, because sometimes they seem to forget. Its so true about gay marraige. There was a commercial once that was about that law that they were about to pass, and it showed a guy going from person to person (or family to family) asking something... and at the end there was a question like "How would you feel if you needed to ask the world for permission to get married?" Sorry if this isn't exact. My memory is a bit hazy. All I know is that commercial was pretty powerful and I never forgot it.

Also, what you were saying about the 'fag' jokes... so true. Me and my friend were walking down the street to her apartment on Pride day after the parade in a mostly gay neighbourhood and some people driving by in a car called us fags...... its just sad. that was the first time I experienced that kind of open descrimination. Anyway, your piece is beautiful and it was really nice to read it

Posted

:"> thank you so much for your feedback and I'm sorry someone called you that it's just so sad how some people act toward us, i hope you dont get much if any more of that treatment

Sandra_Rodrigo
Posted

Thanks Yea, I was annoyed at those people but then I just let it go cause there was no point in letting them spoil the good mood I was in after a good day with a friend

Posted

fer sure

Posted

I really love thsi would yopu mind if I posted it on my facebook giving credit to you of course an dknow this was amazing you stand strong and you show pride I admired you

Posted

Aw thank you Amanda, sure if you'd like and yes i'd still like the credit but if you'd like to put it up i'd happily let you =] thank you again