Lis_Razo

Overcoming Writer's Block: What's Your Secret? - Writers Nook

Lis_Razo
Posted

Share your techniques! =) I don't have any myself, unless you count 'staring blankly at the screen until something happens'. Do you read, watch a favorite TV show or film, meditate, do the laundry...?

Posted

I usually lean towards the things that can open my mind to new ideas. Sometimes I go outside I close my eyes and let the sounds take over me any kind of sound can help the imagination, i know it sounds weird but hey, it works! lol
Sometimes i just listen to songs that break the emotion in me, to bring the passionate side of me.
Maybe they'll work with you maybe not, try luck... what's the worst that could happen? probably coming up with nothing... haha (:

Lis_Razo
Posted

Hey, whatever works for you. =) If it wasn't raining buckets right now, I might've given it a try. :'D

Ooh, music. I've got to be careful with that one - I'm easily affected; don't want to put myself in a bad mood - but it certainly sounds effective. I'll give it a shot.

Anyone else?

Posted

ehm well im usually too lazy to find inspiration in anything too energetic or weather related lol. But i find reading a good book often does it. For me this works on all levels. If the book is rubbish then im of the mindset (rightly or wrongly) of i can do much better than that blah blah blah. If the book is brilliant then it inspires me to write something myself. i love reading. The absolute joy of finding a good author with about 20 books already published is just indescribable. i have achieved a lot academically but you just cant beat a good old yarn. The last author i spent a whole year reading was dean koontz. Amazing stuff. I have read all of stephen king. Its just like a holiday from reality. But if you want to read an author truly inspiring (in the academic sense) then try Jeannette winterson. She is a lesbian writer and just remarkable.

Dorianne_Marsh
Posted

The only thing that works for me is to sit someplace quiet, alone, with my notebook, and just write what I want to happen next in the story. If it's not 'story,' just outline, that's okay, at least I have things down, and usually it breaks the block. Making myself DO that much is awfully hard!

Lis_Razo
Posted

@Sandie: Thanks for the rec. I'll make note of the names. =)

@Dorianne: Oh, believe me, I know your pain. I gather you're one of the few who still prefer a notebook to a mini computer? :>

Posted

for me, just really starting to get in the way of writing, so I am not sure if I have hit writers block before or not. I'm usually writing a bit here and there. I tend to write on screen and on paper. So if I happen to hit writers block I'll keep all that in mind.

Dorianne_Marsh
Posted

Liz - I don't feel I can justify buying a mini computer since writing would be the only thing I'd be using it for... if it were internet capable I'd just have more opportunities to be distracted by the 'net.

Lis_Razo
Posted

@Mikeala: You'll know it when you hit it, believe me. We'll be here with shoulders to cry on when you feel like tearing out your hair. ;-)

@Dorianne: Haha, at least you're honest with yourself! The internet is a big distraction. I once chanced upon a forum signature that said something like, 'writing is 5% inspiration, 95% not being distracted by the internet'. So true. So very true.

Posted

For me the internet isn't so much a distraction as is the game I play online. Though it recently changed its model, so I can play without a monthly subscription. The subscription more or less made me want to play as much as possible, to get the most bang for my dollar. Now it will be something that I can just log into when I need an escape.Not that writing doesn't provide that.

Posted

I recently purchased a laptop, for writing and playing my game. If I want to resist the urge to surf, I can turn off the wireless internet so that I can't connect. I more or less have gotten over the surfing bug, and have closed most of the social networking pages I have.

Dorianne_Marsh
Posted

Oh, I'd never be able to turn the connection off, I'm way too much of an addict.

Lis_Razo
Posted

Haha, love the honesty in here. I've got a netbook for writing, which hasn't got half enough RAM for gaming or even messengers. It keeps me off the web by virtue of being absolutely insufferable for anything of the sort. :'D What game do you play, anyway, Mikeala? Is it an MMO, or just some game that's got you hooked?

@Dorianne: I hear you. I once switched off my home laptop's wireless... and found myself switching it back on about fifteen minutes later. LOL.

Sandra_Rodrigo
Posted

lol, this post was helpful... I was just having a bit of writer's block myself.
All the suggestions already mentioned are really good. I understand espacially about the music. It puts me in the mood too, or it helps me get past a certain scene or bit of dialogue. Sometimes I love to find a song that I feel is like the 'theme' song of the story that I'm gonna write. I find though that I get most stuck in the begining of a story cause I need to make sure the character names are just right... like, they need to be significant and have special meanings if thats possible or otherwise be spelled in a unique way, or else I'd feel like I don't wanna write a whole story on that character... so I find it helps to look at baby names and their meanings online or in a book. It sparks ideas for character qualities too. I think the internet is pretty damn distracting... but it can also be an interesting and boundless source of inspiration if you've got some self-control and know which places to look in. funny thing about games... one of my short stories grew out of a little detail I learned from an online game... about Chinese myth.

Posted

It is an MMO. Its Lord of the Rings Online. They have done such a nice job just bring the world to live with scenery that is is addicting.

Lis_Razo
Posted

@Sandrinie: Ooh, I know exactly how you feel about 'theme' songs. If I find a song that suits a character or story, I'll stick it on auto-repeat while I work on the piece concerned. I'm not so picky about character names... so long as they sound good and fit the character's image, meanings don't matter much to me.

What game are you talking about, out of curiosity? There are a heck of a lot of Korean MMOs referencing Chinese myth.

@Mikaela: Ah, I see! I don't have the RAM (or the money) for P2P MMOs, so I'll just take your word for it. =)

Sandra_Rodrigo
Posted

Yea, thats true I'm not picky all the time, just with some names. And others I just think I'll give my own meaning to as the character develops. I know its not the most important thing.. its just for some reason I always get stuck at that part till I've settled on names I'm happy with. Oh, I was talking about something called DOMO (Dream of Mirror Online). It was just so cute, and its the first time I heard about the 'red strings' of fate, which I later thought would make an interesting metaphore

And wow, Lord of the Rings, eh? Hm.... If I have some time I'd love to check that out.

Posted

LOTRO is free to play. But its a big download. And I have read in the forums that people have it running on netbooks, its choppy and on the lowest resolutions, but they do have it running. I only bought a full laptop because the cost of the one Ihave is the same as some of the high end netbooks, and the difference in cost from some of the low end netbooks only made it more sensible. I will probaby have this laptop for a good 2-3 years.

Lis_Razo
Posted

Oooh, DOMO! I know that game! I haven't played, but I knew people who do. And I'm curious - how many of you are going to attempt NaNo this year?

Posted

I am attempting NaNo this year. I made it last year with about six thousands words over. The laptop I just bought is mainly for writing and it runs the LOTRO very well in addition - kills two birds with one stone so to speak.

Lis_Razo
Posted

Ahaha, nice. I've never done NaNo, mainly 'cause I'm plot-impaired. If I can get an outline together, I may give it a shot. What else is there to do in Nov. anyway, other than school/work/whatever preoccupations life insists on forking upon you?

What model is your laptop, by the way?

Posted

Its a Toshiba Satellite c655. My family have a few Toshiba's of different models, and we are not gentle with them by any means and they keep on ticking.

Lis_Razo
Posted

*whistles* That's nice to hear. What OS do you run? I'm assuming you've got Windows if you play MMOs? I, personally, dual-boot with Linux. =)

Heather_Harnden
Posted

i like looking at old photos. they say a pictures worth a thousand words and good pictures remind you of things. and those memories are writeable. or i'll see a quote or something that'll make me think.

Posted

Lissa Mae: That is so true. Also I often get inspiration from the scenery when I drive into work.

Lis Razo: It is running windows 7 64 bit, and I have played with linux in the past, I am looking at a distribution right now that will run from inside windows. People have been able to run my MMO from linux using wine, I've just not tried it as of yet,