Writing is my second source of oxygen - Writers Nook

Posted

I love to write, I have to do so everyday to keep sane.
When I'm shopping for a purse, it has to be big enough to fit my notebook or netbook in. I started writing when I was younger when I felt no one understood me and haven't been able to stop since.
When did you realize writing was a passion and not just a hobby?

Posted

I found out my 8th grade year when writing kept me from harming myself by keping me sane and giving me an outlet for my emotions. Since then I have not been able to stop I write anything and everything that comes to mind. I absolutely love writing.

Posted

Well, I'm glad you found a constructive outlet. I always tell people writing is great for depression if they give it chance and your living proof of that. Thanxx for sharing :-D

Posted

It is very constructive. Do you have anything inparticular that you enjoy writing?

Posted

I mainly write about love because I find it to be so mind consuming, but I also love writing songs and short stories. Any random words on a page turn me on lol.

Posted

Yea inspiration and respiration have a lot in common. I like love stories too I particularly like the point when people find that the old predictable life is over and love has just totally new changed everything.

Posted

Haylee I found the same thing, but somebody told me to write down my feelings when I was close to topping myself because I found out I was gay and also got myself raped. I wrote poetry, and I am still here so it must have worked. I still write both poems and stories. Im not that good but I enjoy it.

Posted

I've read your Poems Dean and I think you underestimate your talents. What a gift keep at it!

Posted

i wrote a novel about ten years ago. i had some serious interest from a few big publishing houses. In the main they wanted me to change a few things, cut a few things and re-submit. To my shame i couldnt be bothered, and after a few years of lenquiry etters and the odd phone call the interest in my novel waned. i was delighted to find my writing was considered as publishable and at the time i was excited. Now for 10 years this novel has been in various wardrobes. files, discs and once spent 6 months in a shed! it is on my mind every day, and everday i vow to revise it and see if i can still sell it. But i do nothing and i am confused as to why i act like this. iv never even spoke about this before. i want to finish it. Not just to try and publish but for my own peace of mind. over the years i have used a number of various distraction techiques and i dont really write regularly (like short stories etc). i dunno... its an enigma. Anyone else experience this kind of thing? i would be interested to know.

Posted

Sandie I believe you should look at different publishers, if you wrote something a certain way there was a reason you wrote it like that and you shouldn't change it. (that's my opinion anyways)

Posted

Writing is not a hobby, it is a job. You have to like force yourself to do it even when you don't want to. If you play at it then your writing will show this and you will never finish anything properly. SORRY

Posted

Thanks Joseph, very kind of you to say that.

Posted

@Joseph I fully agree

@Sandie I agree with Haylee, as writers we have the freedom to express ourselves in any format , talk in slang, do whatever we want. If no publishing company is willing to accept that. Heres what you do: Self publish. There are a lot of companies you can use to self publish and in the end the profit is greater.

Posted

cheers for advice. it makes sense. I remember writing the novel and i was consumed by it for about a year. i was practically feverish the whole time i was writing it. Then i got to the finish point and whatever drove me, that sheer adrenalin, just kind of dissapeared. The requested changes were small and made sense. Im definitely going to look at it again. Over the years i realised i like the fun of writing hate the practicalities.

Posted

Yeah just take your time and think about your goals with your writing. I personally would love to write a book and have begun one, but realize that when its work its no longer fun. I just don't wanna lose the passion for writing by turning it into something that I "have" to do to get paid.

Posted

i think too, that there is a big difference in writing alone and then it being 'out there' for whoever. 10 years ago i was thinking what will my nan, mum, family think etc. Even if what you write is fiction, the fact that you wrote it means you thought it. My family are religious fundamentalists and my fear was not completely misplaced. However, the fact they have now disowned me for being a lesbian gives me the freedom to put 'out there' what the hell i like. The silver lining is quite liberating.

Posted

in response to 'writing a book.' i never set out to write one. i just started and couldn't stop. like i said 'feverish.' it was never about money, obviously as its been gathering dust for 10 years lol. i just think your mind will know when your onto something. if its hard work, move onto another idea until you find the one idea that drives you. Then the book will write itself.

Posted

Me personally I believe I will follow thru with publishing when it feels right, which I think is the best because I know it will be great content. And I understand you completely. Your at a different place in your life now a more free place I hope, which should also be great for your inspiration. I sincerely wish you the best with it and hope to see on shelves one day!! Keep me posted on what you decide.

Posted

i will. i have just been looking for my cd and am loading it up now. Methinks a little rummage in the suitcase of memories is on the cards. will let you know. cheers for this guys and gals. 'Nite for now.