D.M_Barrera

Nipples/Breast Why so Taboo? - Lesbian Ladies

D.M_Barrera
Posted

I read forum about this, and wondered myself why are nipples/breast so taboo?

Men are allowed to walk around topless showing off their nipples, and yet a woman cannot. Why is it that african women can walk around without a care in the world and our media allows them to be shown on tv and magazines and yet if a woman is breastfeeding and something 'slides' off people go "oh no cover that up! She should really not be doing that in public!"

There's a photo (wish i could upload it with this discussion) of a woman's breast minus the nipples. Would that seem less of a taboo to you?

Is it Religion or Culture, that denys beautiful women to display their beauty so openly?

Nebelpfade
Posted

It's simply how's the "ethic" is... We were taught that way and kept the way of thinking it thats it's taboo to do.

D.M_Barrera
Posted

Why do yu think humans "made" that ethic for women but not men

Kim_Lew
Posted

It's always about culture. And yeah, religion. Well, you know, the winners write history. To be honest, not everyone is thrilled about all guys being topless anywhere!

Posted

I think partially it's to protect women from mens lust. It's not that women don't have a sex drive but men are much more visual (they are boob zombies). Yeah I think it's unfair. I don't think guys should be able to take off their tops and have it as readily accepted as it is. Sometimes I think it's just rude (disgusting) Unless your working out in the hot sun or it's like 110 degrees out there's just no reason go topless. I have my own personal reasons for enjoying a little coverage of my boobs, like support and not having people stare at them. I love nudity but Americans aren't able to handle it because our society was based on puritan values and has been conservative for so long. I also like people to be able to look at me and see beyond the physical body, modesty has it's perks (when your not trying to get laid that is).

Posted

i think it's mostly to do with religion (which has a large hand in shaping what is "right" and "wrong" in cultures). If you look at the geographical areas in which it's not considered ethical for women to proudly display themselves then you'll find that the major controlling religions there (and I'm not bashing anyone's religion, I used to be a religion major btw) in some form or fashion (take Christianity and America as example) portray women inferior to men. Men are widely accepted as being superior to women, rather physically, mentally, spiritually, or politically; however, they are also viewed as being lustful and passion (as if women aren't interested in passion :eyeroll and behaving in ways that suggest that they aren't thinking with their minds but rather than with their bodies. This seems to say 'oh men, can't control themselves so the women have to prevent provoking the mens' sexual appetites'. Then, in some religions, women are seen as seductive and deceitful (which, in Christianity, all goes back to the time of Eden and the Forbidden Fruit). In many Middle Easter countries, women are required to cover themselves even more severely.

Even in the modern day, women who wear slightly revealing clothes (such as low necklines or short skirts) are seen as promiscuous... I can't guarantee that they are not because, where I'm from at least, that's how they've been raised to believe... (if you're a "good girl" you cover up and if you're "loose" you flaunt it. and sadly, flaunting it here also is linked with some kind of trauma, whether it be receiving the "wrong" attention at some point or not enough, usually during childhood. ). I'm not saying I agree with the cover up/ flaunt scenario, because I do not. But it really all comes down to societal standards, which have been shaping, altering, and progressing since the beginning of time... it's difficult to change something so stemmed in the history and believes of a culture and it's people.

sorry if this doesn't make any sense...i was out "celebrating" tonight, and I'm sleep deprived.

D.M_Barrera
Posted

Haley, it makes perfect sense. Big thumbs up, loved yur response.

D.M_Barrera
Posted

Tht.....its....KOO!!