'writers' using text language really fucking annoys me! - Writers Nook

Posted

Come on people... You think at least 'writers' would make an effort to use the language we like to play with. If you think im talking shit then go and read George Orwell '1984,' Because it is happening in terms of language. i do not mind text (on a phone) . in fact its my favourite form of communication. But i refuse to use it anywhere else. What's most annoying is some words that are clearly text speak, like 'yew' have the same amount of letters as the proper spelling of...'you.' what is the point of that!? Please nobody take offence. It's a general issue. But i will say that on principle, i wont read anyone's work if they use text language in their title, story / poem etc. i am fed up with it and make no apologies.

Posted

Makes perfectly good sense, Sandie. For text messages and online chats, understandable. $hit, when I write home, it usually takes me a while because I have to re-read everything because my Mom is well into her late 70's and doesn't understand all those abbreviated words, most commonly seen in text messages etc. When writing, come on people, wake up. Sure you may write, type faster and yup, those reading understand it but in the real world, you wouldn't win a prize for an abbreviated novel, so why do the same in here? There are critics everywhere and you just never know, who is reading your work. $hit, amateur singers get noticed in YouTube, who's to say, an amateur writer couldn't get the same in here? Think about it, then next time you submit a poem or a short story. You just never know who's reading it.

Posted

I completely agree. It is that sort of clumsy mistake that makes the older generations look to my generation and see us as dumb and unimaginative morons. It pains me every time I see the text lingo outside of instant messengers and actual texting because it is just a step back for my whole generation. At this rate, we will never garner any respect at all. And this is very sad to me.

Kim_Lew
Posted

I know what you mean! I absolutely HATE IT when people use "thru" in a fic or something instead of "through".

Posted

Haven't you seen some of the new teen books? They have whole books now writting in that style. I have issues becouse I'm dyslexic with some words already, but I do try to use proper grammer and usually catch my mistakes before I ever hit send. Lol is great for texts but really sounds silly when used in every day language.

Yalanda_Winston
Posted

A lot of people think that it's okay to use incorrect grammar. It makes our generation look ignorant, and to me it's one way to bring it down.

Chi_Wilson
Posted

I despise when people use text-speak, even over text message. It bugs me to no end. I don't think it takes that much time to 1.) spell words correctly and 2.) use proper grammar. I mean, even on the computer, isn't it easier to type words out and use the proper punctuation and whatnot than peck at the keyboard to TyP3 Lyk3 Dii$? That three "word" phrase literally took me two minutes to type out. It's ridiculous. And of course, the people who do use such text-speak not only make the rest of us proper typists look bad, they make themselves look stupid and ignorant.
Sorry so long. This is one of my biggest pet peeves. It enrages me to the point where I want to go to the local grocery store and steal old ladies' shopping carts.

Kim_Lew
Posted

Heh, all the people who purposely don't bother using correct grammar should send an email to my PR lecturer.... She will SHOOT YOU DOWN! Man, she told us over several lectures that we sucked for not knowing the difference (or checking for) "too" "to "two" and "it's" "its" And well yeah, I agree, but she was just crazy about sms language too! Leaving texting to texting. And yeah, L337 isn't cool anymore...

Posted

i spent five years in uni studying english. The other day i found myself (subconciously) spelling a word in text speak. i was horrified and i did think about George Orwell's 1984. Sometimes when my daughter leaves me a note, i have to literally decipher the language. She thinks its hilarious. What upsets me the most is that this is just the beginning. If the people who love to write start replacing language with text speak then in 50 years time our language will have changed beyond all recognition. We will lose words that create imagery. This will stifle ideas and imagination. Writing will be so boring no one will want to do it and no one will want to write. How sad is that? Anyone under 25 has grown up with text language. But it's tragic to see young people wanting to write and their writing is littered with text speak. I think to them this is normal and i am not having a go at them. But people who want to write need to make a stand against text language. More and more, for writers today, its not just about writing anymore, writers need to start PROTECTING the language as text speak is like a virus!

Posted

ps, i am not usually a soapy box kind of person, but i feel so strongly about this issue!

Posted

I feel the same way about so called eubonics. It's not a language its murder in my opinion. How can anyone understand that? The first time my daughter called the police the po po I was appalled. Since when is two year old talk actually called a language? Can't even say that I know two year olds that speak better then that.

Posted

2 year old? Po po? Might be from some adults or even television. At the tender age of 2, children are quick to pick up on certain words. As time goes by, more and more words, they'll pick up on. I'm sure there will come a day, when your child starts with the potty mouth talk. With a little motherly love and guidance, the child will learn (eventually) that such language is unacceptable. Parents have a daunting task of training their kids the proper language that is acceptable in today's society. They will pick up on the slang words like "po po" until such time they learn the real words and can speak them. Good luck Kim, for your journey has just begun.

Posted

i wasnt a big fan of baby language. i tried not to be too strict with my daughter. i couldnt always control the language she heard and picked up (and she did get a potty mouth) but i never taught her baby language as i just thought it was stupid. I wouldnt be doing her any favours as she would have to learn the proper words at some point. What happened was this, she went to school at 4 years and actually taught many of her peer group the proper language for many of their baby terms. She doesn't remember this but has a son of her own now aged 4. When he was learning to speak she wouldn't let anyone teach him baby language. I had no influence on this at all. She couldn't remember how opposed to it i was when she was young. Then when she got older i had no reason to tell her. But i was amazed that she had this ingrained in her opwn parenting skills, because she did it even though her friends teased her and and said she was being unfair to her son. Then, to my further amazement, she told them exactly the same as i told people when she was young, 'whats the point in baby talk and he will have to learn the proper words at some point anyway! Just goes to show how very crucial those formative years are.

Posted

ps a word of warning, some parents did complain about my daughter telling their cherubs that a fu fu was in fact a vagina, and a 'little man' was a penis. One parent complained that my daughter had upset their entire family by telling their child a moo moo was definitely a cow. My ex and i had to keep a straight face about that one. We got to the car park and we laughed so much i nearly wet myself.

Lee_Bauer
Posted

Personally, I think it's only permissible to use text speak in writing when they're actually texting or writing on IM. Otherwise it's obnoxious and cheap.

Pauline_Tembuyser
Posted

Agreed!

Kim_Lew
Posted

You know, as snobby as this sounds, but this problem is probably the main reason why I don't visit this site much anymore, got too annoyed at reading bad grammar and spelling. I mean, typos are okay, it happens, but laziness? So not bothered.

Posted

Save the slang text to say Yahoo, AOL, Windows Live or any other messenger program you're using. Save it for your text messages. While in here, if you don't know how to spell a word, try (spelling) so the reader knows that you mispelled the word. As long as you hit close enough, the human brain will understand the word and it all starts to make sense. Pretty simple, eh? You'll get you're point across, just the same. Try not to make it a habit. I save my abbreviated text for other area's and try to avoid using that, in here. If someone has posted using abbreviated text, speak up! Perhaps they'll get the hint that we all went to school for a reason and they didn't teach us how to write in abbreviations. I'll agree with Kim 110% on this topic. So lets see how many others, also agree.

Tina_Kampe
Posted

I do not like loose use of grammar or spelling and find myself annoyed also with such deficiencies. Now back to the conversation at hand.
Sandie~ I also taught my children the real words for things and have caught quite alot of flack for it also. People would tell me that they couldn't understand big words and here was my reply."How would they more readily understand a made up word with no real definition?" and "how would they go on to learn proper words if we short cut it with ba ba or such" Also, We taught them context and inference skills,which can be very valuable later on.It is refreshing to find others who also taught their children as I did. The same people who bashed me for doing so, are now astonished at my children's reading and comprehension. I find it so cute that your daughter went on to do the same even though your efforts are not remembered, it is a comfort that my grandchildren might also feel the benefit as yours surely will.Now I'm simply babbling.Have a wonderful day everyone!