Aidana_WillowRaven

y author's want to place books in my store? - Writers Nook

Aidana_WillowRaven
Posted

I just opened a little book shoppe in the Memphis/ Millington area, and would like to take books on consignment at the shoppe.

Only catch is, no ally suggestive covers are permitted, or language for that matter.

Any takers can get more info by messaging me.

Posted

im not a 'taker' but im interested what your post means? what is a 'consignement?' And what is 'no alley suggestive cover?'

Aidana_WillowRaven
Posted

Lol. It's my typing to fast, evidently... lol. I didn't see my errors until after I hit 'comment'. Sorry about that.

Consignment just means that I don't pay for the books up front, rather, they are paid for when/if the books sell.

The other was supposed to read 'no really suggestive covers', meaning nothing sexually explicit. The owners have a strict rule on that. Too many kids in the building.

It appears I even screwed up the title. The first word is supposed to read 'Any', not 'y'.

Posted

lol, even without the typo's i probably still would have asked. Its a shameful lack of knowledge on my part considering i have an english BA and have written a novel. The said novel has been at the bottom of my wardrobe for 5 years because im too lazy to do a spell and grammer check, but its interesting to know how bookshops do things. Im glad there is still a place for bookshops as e-books could never replace the real thing. Just that smell of a new book is lovely. Thanks for taking time to explain.

Aidana_WillowRaven
Posted

Not a problem. I love books, myself. I doubt you'll ever catch me buying an e-book. How do you cuddle up w/ one of those on a sleepless night? I trained in Fine Art with the plan of working on/in books.

Most bookstores though, buy the books wholesale through one of two distributors. Then the PHs get pennies per book, which must then be divided up into royalty disbursement.

My way is much simpler and earns the PH and authors more of a cut.

Posted

our biggest bookstore (borders) just closed. It was a sad day for me. Times are changing. Its nice to know there are bookstores that benefit the writers. Im not a serious writer and just like to dabble, but i think people will stop seeing 'writing' as a vocation because the way things are going there will be no possibility of making a living from it unless you have a massive deal, and lets face it how often does that happen for a writer!

Aidana_WillowRaven
Posted

Lol. A massive deal ... lol. FANTASY!

Of the billions of books published each year, only 1% of those actually make money, and support the industry.

the other 99% of authors, have day jobs.

Posted

on a positive note, i guess that 1% is what keeps the writers writing. Us readers benefit from that even if the poor writer doesn't.