Roberto_J._Messuti

The real meaning of Gay Pride... is it lost? - Writers Nook

Roberto_J._Messuti
Posted

Are we teaching the younger generations who created, when was it created and for which purpose was Pride created? or is it all forgotten in a big party? Is there no more reasons to fight for?

Robert_Drake
Posted

This is always a problem, as we dissolve the us vs. them boundaries. It is the job of older queers to educate the younger ones, in a non-predatory fashion.
Through books and film, the history of our still-borning emancipation is out there, luckily.

Roberto_J._Messuti
Posted

Yeah, I agree, however, I have found that, and this is not just in the Young Gay Community but in all the Young generation, their resistance to learn about the past. I have met young Gay guys who just want the clubbing, recreational drugs and the latest Lady Gaga record, so to speak... leaving a huge gap between what Pride is and should be really about.
Not that I was not a teenager once, however, it is important that the Gay History and Legacy remains.
Best x

Tina_Kampe
Posted

I agree Robert, we must educate through books or films and really simple conversations on events such as Stonewall would go a long way. When I came out,I had a strong bi lady who educated me on the struggles and history of who I now stand proud to be..because it is my struggle also.I feel a strong need to educate and embrace more and more each day. We can't fight together, if we our ignorant of our collective past and present.

Caitlin_McIntyre
Posted

I didn't realize how much about Pride I didn't know before I came out. I'm having a hard time finding someone to teach me. But I try my hardest to self-educate, and to represent Pride the best that I can.

Roberto_J._Messuti
Posted

I learnt about Pride as the march and event in 1995, before that I had no idea such events took place. Unfortunately, where I am from was and still is difficult to be open as there is loads of Homophobia.
Nowadays, they do have a Pride march, however, the police breaks into clubs etc making the Gay life difficult.
I learnt how to defend my right to be me, but here in UK. Before it was complicated.
I think it is important to support the event, however, through the Gay Month and films at the BFI, i.e.
Best xx

Posted

One of the most important aspects of Pride for me is the parade. It is an opportunity for the flamboyant to be 'in your face' but for me it is about simply being visible: carrying a flag, walking with friends, waving at people I have never met and will never see again.

I think the politically active and the older generation (which I think I am now a part of) have to accept that most people are not really interested in what has been fought and won, so long as they can live their lives the way they want to. Isn't that what we fight for? Hectoring and preaching will have little effect, but gentle reminders of how it was for us, and how it still is for many of us, may go a long way to instilling the true spirit of Pride.

Anyone notice how this feels like I'm trying to teach the true meaning of Xmas?