Short Story. One of my Vampire forays. - Writers Nook

Posted

Let me know what y'all think.

The Marine
J.J.M. Macasieb

The night for me had started as any other in recent memory. I woke sometime just after the sun had set below the ocean. I can’t say how many times I had seen the sunset since my turning but needless to say they were always beautiful. Something about the pastel reds and purples of the dusk sky always set my heart aflame. It was as though in those times between day and night that I was as any other person who walked the streets of my hometown of Long Beach.
I woke and realised I was quite hungry and knew I would have to go hunt early tonight in order to make sure I did no harm against any of my friends who could be calling me at any time. It was a difficult charade to keep up really. None of them had any idea what I really was and I made every effort to keep it that way. I was soulless as it was.
After I had showered and dressed, I left my small house and set out to search for my dinner. It didn’t take me long to find the perfect meal. The moon that night was an alabaster eye in the sky and I remember looking up at her and asking the Goddess to guide me this night.
The young man never saw me coming. My senses were much sharper since the day of my turning but such is the case with any of my kin. I merely came up behind him and sank my teeth into his jugular. His blood gushed into my mouth making me come alive. The warm sensations returning to my limbs and sharpening my already incredible senses was the only intoxicant I ever needed.
As soon as my thirst was satiated I let the young man drop to his back and set him in an alley near one of the many clubs. No doubt someone would merely believe he overdosed on some kind of drug and would call an ambulance.
It was fairly late now and I still had not received a single call from any of my friends. I thought I just may spend a quiet evening at home so I changed into my pajamas the second I returned home. My mind immediately flashed to my friend Patrick who was starting is United States Marine Corps School of infantry training in San Diego. I was curious as to how he was doing and how his training was.
That was when the phone rang.
I went to my phone and looked at my caller ID to see that it was none other than Patrick. I answered the phone without reservation.
“Holy shit dude how are you?” I all but screamed into the phone
“Hey man. I’m doing pretty good. But dude I’m home for the night and I’ve got some friends with me. They want to know if you can get us alcohol.”
Now Patrick was newly 18 as was I but the difference was my skills to intimidate and deceive better than he could. I would be the one he would call. We had risen so much hell together and still he did not know what I was….I could never tell him.
“Yea bro I can. Tell you what y’all come get me and we’ll go head and get that stuff at this place by my house.”
“Ok.” he started laughing “Dude this guys already drunk as fuck. Its fucking hilarious.”
I laughed
“Seriously though we’re at the Pike so we’ll come get you in about ten minutes ok?” He said to me immediately regaining his composure.
I agreed and hung up the phone.
It did not take me long to get dressed. I merely put on the nice clothes that I had been wearing when I was hunting. Now I’m normally in the habit of recycling like such but I figured I had only been dressed for an hour or so, if that, so it was fine. I left the house and just as I walked outside a red car pulled up. I recognized it not as Patrick’s but as his girlfriend’s. I locked up the house and immediately opened the back door of the car only to find it was completely full. There were three other Marines in the back seat.
They were all quite drunk from what I could discern and two were behaving raucously. My eyes-easily adaptable to the darkness-were able to see their features and they appeared as attractive as one would expect young men to be. But something about one of them just seemed different.
“Hey Pat what’s up?” I said to Patrick who was sitting in the passenger’s seat of the crowded car.
“Not much” he said to me. “Where are we going to get the alcohol?”
“Just up on Anaheim and Cherry.” I said.
The three other Marines introduced themselves to me in sequence. The drunkest one was Cecil (a last name I assumed); I do not remember the other’s name as he did not say much of anything through the night. The one who had peaked my curiosity was named Brandon. A great name for a man I thought to myself.
We went to a small liquor store up near my house. Brandon handed me twenty-five dollars and told me to get some whiskey. I went into the liquor store and turned on my gifts immediately so as not to be asked for ID. The cashier was so intimidated by my very presence it seemed she made every effort just to get rid of me
From here we headed to Patrick’s father’s house where we would be drinking that night. Upon our arrival, Cecil fell out of the car trying to get out of the back seat. He was much more intoxicated than I previously thought. He began to throw up on the sidewalk and I had no choice but to let him.
When he said he was done, I carried him into the house feigning difficulty as I should not have been able to guide him as easily as I could. He was much taller than me but my strength was not exactly that of a normal person of my size. Because I had fed earlier that night, I was the epitome of my kin and my strength showed as much.
After he had been put into a room by Patrick’s father and myself, I had Brandon mix me a cocktail of the whiskey and coke. They started a movie that I had not much interest in. Brandon stepped out for a cigarette and I decided to go with him.
Out front it was just Brandon and I. He lit his cigarette then lit mine and we started to talk. He was so attractive and his voice sounded like a seraphim choir singing praises to the gods. Nothing about him was not perfect.
“So how are you liking the corps so far?” I asked him during the conversation.
“Its good. You know its all work and they are mostly just teaching us now. I suppose that’s because we’re infantry you know?” he said. I was looking him in the eyes now and they were as blue coloured pools I wanted to fall into. He made me feel in a way I hadn’t since I was human.
“So where are you from again? I don’t really remember you telling me with all that chaos back there.” I said enraptured but still gesturing back toward the house in reference to Cecil.
“I’m from Texas.” he said “I’ve actually got my fiancée waiting for me back there.” he said.
I think that was the point I felt another strange sensation then. I could only describe it as heart break.
“How long y’all been together?” I asked
“Since high school. She’s helped me through a lot of hard times and it just seemed natural that we should get married.”
“I don’t really believe in relationships like that” I said a little more defensive and crestfallen then I meant.
“So are you gay or bi?” he asked me and I almost choked on my whiskey cocktail.
“I’m gay.” I said “But how did you know? I mean its not as though I advertise it you know.”
He laughed and then took a long drag off his second cigarette before answering me.
“My fiancée and I have a lot of gay friends. In fact she goes to gay bars with this one guy all the time. I actually kind of prefer she hang out with gay men cause at least I know she wont be cheating on Me.” he said and we both laughed.
I spent most of the night just talking to him. It started to get late and I started to have thoughts that I shouldn’t have. I thought about how I could have him. I thought that maybe something inside of him yearned for me as much as I was yearning for him.
I could do it here and now I thought to myself. I know how I was made and I could turn him just the same way. I even thought about dealing with the issue of his fiancée back in Texas. I had such strong feelings for him that I didn’t know what to do. For the longest time I had felt so dead on the inside I had thought there was not an ounce of humanity left inside me. I merely thought that I was a Vampire and nothing else. That I was soulless and there would be no returning from what I was.
The night ended rather abruptly and I was sad to have to leave Brandon’s presence.
“I gave Cecil my number though I doubt he’ll remember who I even am in the morning.” I told him. “You should call me sometime when you have the chance so we could maybe hang out again.” Brandon nodded.
Patrick’s father took me home and I just remember seeing Brandon that last time. I walked up to my house and unlocked the door. My cat, my only companion ran up to me and was very clearly begging for attention.
I changed into my pajamas and, a bit intoxicated from drinking, stumbled into bed. I laid down and closed my eyes thinking only of Brandon. I realised that from that loss, for some reason I was crying. Crying over a man I had just met but I felt so strongly about.
I never saw him again. But such is the life of one such as me.

Posted

Interesting read, Joey. I'm not a vamp fan, however, I most recently got hooked on True Blood and have been following The Vampire Diaries, since day 1. Your ending caught me off guard. Your vamp cried? Vampires rarely show any forms of emotion. None the less, his taste for men, was impeccable. Marines are quite handsome. Brandon is a very masculine name! Since this is a vamp story, most do continue on. I think your vampire will meet up with Brandon again. Maybe a few years from this point. Perhaps in passing or at an event. Their paths will cross again. This flame will ignite, again. The passion will return. There's more to this story, I hope. Over all, you caught my attention. Naturally, I'm craving for MORE! feed me master, I'm hungry. =)

Posted

You know I've considered it. The nameless Vampire in this story catches everyones interest though I have yet to figure out what to do with him. I chose to give him emotion more like Louis in the Vampire chronicles. A lot of the time its like they're driven by instict and their blood thirst rather than being multi-dimensional figures. I am glad you enjoyed it!

Posted

Louis only showed his emotion, towards the end of the movie. He shed but 1 tear. When he lost his wife and adopted daughter, after they were incinerated by the rising sunlight, he went into a fit of rage and killed the coven. A nameless vampire does make the story line, more interesting. Choosing a Marine, was wise, since I've yet to see a non handsome/good looking Marine! You did mention he's unlike his own kin, therefore, he would be different, so having emotions, would most definitely fall into this bracket. I'm sure, you'll wake up (from a deep sleep one night) with a story line and continue it, where you left off. All in due time, my friend, all in due time. For when you do, readers like me, to whom you've captivated, will eagerly await to feast once again. Thank you, Master.

Marina_Liesau
Posted

dude...that was a good story...

Posted

I never said it wasn't, Marina. Perhaps you should re read my original comment.

Marina_Liesau
Posted

it was directed towards the writer. Calm down.