Tim_Armstrong

film vs book - Writers Nook

Tim_Armstrong
Posted

if you were an author of a world wide best seller and producers apraoched you asking to adapt your book to a screen play how involved would you be and how true to your story would you keep it?

i would never let a director rape my works and would insist on a 100% accurate translation maybe only missing out things which are not detrimental to the plot but not too much.....i would cry if my book fans hated the film

Tim_Armstrong
Posted

examples of bad translation:
eargon by christopher paolini
my sisters keeper by Jodi Picoult
the pact by Jodi Picoult
hitch hikers guide to the galixy by douglas adams

Tim_Armstrong
Posted

examples of good translations:
the twilight saga so far by stephanie meyer (dont like either the books or the films but they stayed true!)
sin city by Frank miller
watchmen by alan moore

Marina_Liesau
Posted

precious was also a good book that was made into a movie...

Posted

If any of my works were made into movies I would definitly want the films to stay as close to the originals as possible. I include a lot of same-sex relationships that are closely tied to the plot and I would want those to have the same weight in the film that they do in my stories.

As for involvment, I wouldnt mind taking a back seat to the writing process itself. I'd of course advise the screen writers but I've never ventured into that area before so it would be best to leave the script itself to the experts.

Posted

Valid point there Joey. Screen writers are trained to write the scripts, for each character. Just as long as they keep to the original theme and not add lib or replace words (unless necessary). To have a personal novel turned into a movie, keeping true to the original form like the book, is tricky. Pending on who wishes to take a novel and make it a movie, all directors/producers have different ideas. This will evidently be up to either one and if they'll allow the author of the novel, a say in it. J.K. Rowling had full say, when her books, hit the silver screen. She was highly adamant about the actors. They must be British! And all of them were just that. Stephen King, is another. I've read just about every single published book of his. To have his novels hit the silver screen, I have yet to see one that didn't hold true form, from book to screen. Being able to have a cameo appearance in your own movie, is a bonus. Evidently, being able to have your say and to make sure any producer knows, that you're own presence to make sure the film, holds true to your book, is an asset. After all, its your work, right?

Posted

Just because a film strays from it's original source does not always make it a bad adaptation. For instance; Sex and the City the book is much different from the series and subsequent films. Yet if they had tried to make it just like the book the series would have failed due to the lack of character.

Most of the time though sticking closely to the source material is a better idea than changing it. While I do love The Devil Wears Prada the movie, the book is much deeper and has a very important message about drug addiction, relationships, and friendship which isn't felt in the movie. A book will always be better than the movie. You just simply capture the full rapturous amount of detail that is with in a book. Atonement is another example of a movie which is absolutely fantastic and yet still can't hold a candle to the original novel. Not it's fault. A movie just can not contain all of the information in a book.

So I guess I ride the fence on this. I understand why they do it (yet Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire is a Totally different Story...literally) but do i condone the excessive use of raping literature? No.

Tim_Armstrong
Posted

okay i agree some films are good even though there not 100% true for example Askanner Darkley there were too many characters so the fused a couple this was nullified but the cartoon overlay of the action making the reality much less definned and futhering the theame of drug use and addiction

Marina_Liesau
Posted

holy crap I am so lost... Dx

Posted

When I have the time, I'll read. I'm mostly reading up on different html codes, new Java scripts and seldom find myself picking up a book. Mind you, I did start reading the biography about the late great drag queen, dance artist/actor. Now, for those of you who're unfamiliar with this icon, His full name is Harris Glenn Milstead. The book is titled "My Son, Divine" written by his mother, Frances Milstead. It would be grand to see this work, turned into a movie. For you film buffs, you might of heard of "Pink Flamingos" or "Lust in the Dust" I'm sure there are a few more movies floating around, that featured Divine. I'll see what I can dig up video wise and post her in my video section of my profile. Divine is very early 80's, so if you were born after oh say 1982, then chances are, you've never heard of this infamous icon. As for the books mentioned above, I've never heard of any of them., minus Harry Potter's. Music by Divine: Native Love, Step by Step, Shoot Your Shot, Jungle Jezzabelle.

Tim_Armstrong
Posted

that would be an interesting film i would pay to see it

Dee_Dee_Sabrina
Posted

well, this is what I've been thinking about since I start to write. that's why for last year I start to learn how to be a script writer and a director, now I've made some short films based on my short stories. nice topic anyway.

Posted

Which film, Tim?

Rachel_Swanson
Posted

I've also considered this and I would like to have almost 100% creative control over a movie based on my books. I've seen the awful effects of what happens when creators (authors or otherwise cough Avatar the Last Airbender cough) don't have the ultimate say in what happens to their stories while being made in to a movie.
A good example of an Author having near complete creative control over their movies is J.K. Rowling, in her original book contract she specified complete control over any movie franchise so she would have a hand in the script, casting, and cinematography. That's the kind of contract I would definitely write up. I don't want some brain dead Hollywood starlet playing the role of nerdy gothic lolita lesbian (not that I have such a character) or Hollywood changing the ages and races of my characters to suite its very rigid gender, racial, class specifications.