Hi - Writers Nook

Posted

I had always tried to write something when I was younger but for some reason was never able to stick with anything. Last year a friend challenged me to the National Write a Novel contest, so I accepted. I am happy to say that I completed the challenge, and I am actually editing the story and hope that I can get it published one day. In the meantime I've also been trying to write more than I have in the past, and have started a short story, that I think I will be able to finish as well. If I get it done I will post it here. :-)

Tamika_Taylor
Posted

Yay! That's good news. How long did it take to finish your novel?

Posted

I did the initial writing in 30 days. Since I've never really had to edit a story before, it took me awhile to figure out the best way to edit, and not that I have a system, I edit a chapter or two a day.

Tamika_Taylor
Posted

That's cool. I've been working on my novel for the past two years now. I figure I get the chapters out of the way before I do the editing process because I have a lot going on.

Posted

Yes, I think its always best to get the initial writing done and complete, and then go back and edit. Once get done with my edit, it will be time to plug it into a grammar checker. Hopefully there will not be too much to fix after I get with my editing.

Tamika_Taylor
Posted

See, I've worked as a copy editor for a full year at my school and I find that if I go back to edit a chapter after it's complete, it takes longer since I'm not a fast reader. If I read to fast, I will miss errors or will stay focus on one part too long. I always want to make sure that my sentences are clear and flow with my story. If I trail off too much, the story gets lost. If I finish the novel, then I will go back and edit/revision my work so I know how my story goes a second, third (and so) time goes without confusing me.

Posted

I'm a fast reader, overall, but not when I am editing. The story more or less flows good, I'm just correcting typos, punctuation, and things that don't sound quite right when I read the sentence. I find editing much more mind intensive than I do writing and reading.

Tamika_Taylor
Posted

I think they are intensive equal because mine, there's more thought to be put into because I want my characters actions to be shown, not told so much. I don't know. It varies on where it will end after it's finished.

Janie_Krenz
Posted

Hello, I couldn't imagine writing a novel, it seems like it would be a full time job. I write articles as often as possible.

Posted

For me, it was a challenge from a friend to take part in the National Write a Novel Month(its in November). This is the result of that. Since I ended up liking the the characters and the stories, I figured I would try and polish it up a bit. I've never written any articles, and I'm trying to keep the creativity flowing so hoping to do some short stories too.

Janie_Krenz
Posted

Great! If you would like to try your hand at writing short articles, I can give you a link to sign up. It is free and it is a great community. You will also have the opportunity to earn some money. If you are interested, let me know.

Tamika_Taylor
Posted

I submitted a chapter page of my novel for a scholarship and of course, I didn't get it. I also write articles for newspapers.