Windi_McDaniel

what have you read... - Writers Nook

Windi_McDaniel
Posted

I'm finding that i don't have much in common with most of these groups, except that i'm gay! . Then, what should appear...this group. Ah, I'm not alone. I love to read. Have to be reading all the time. I've read a lot. Can never find anyone who has read what i've read, AND have a (coherent) discussion about said material...sigh. Tolstoy, Adams, Richardson, Kingslover, Atwood, Poe...variety.

Shelby_Anderson
Posted

Poe is simply amazing! Have either of you read H.P. Lovecraft? He's an incredible writer as well... if only writers in the present day would write something HALF as meaningful as Poe or even Twain (yes I love Twain). I find it depressing that everything seems to be turning into a horribly lazy style such as Twilight and Harry Potter (sorry if you like them...). What happened to the eloquently written work of art?

Well, Windi, I hope you find that there is more than just this little group of book-worms out there in this community. Though we are glad to have you!! I hope to hear more about what you read.

Windi_McDaniel
Posted

Well, thank you for your kind words. I have read H.P Lovecraft, but it was so long ago, i don't know if i could tell you anything about anything. lol! Poe is a work in progress, i am a student so most of my reading is that which applies to my studies. However, i always have something going and i have a huge book of Poe that i am slowly getting through...again. I read all different kinds of genre, so i do read the old and the new. I hear what you are saying about the new not having the same class and finesse as the old, but you have to know there are some very good reads out there. I think that is why i don't ever close my eyes to something new. Case in point: I recently read the Wicked series by McGregor (i think that's it), and it was fantastic! He has a strangeness about him, and such an imagination! His writing is brusque and eloquent all at the same time. His thing is telling the story you never heard about the most famous children stories. For example, he writes about Cinderella and Snow white, but in a way you wouldn't have guessed (yes, i read those too). You know what they say, every story has at least two sides, right? Some others i like both old and new: Mary Queen of Scotts, by M. Goerge, Poison, by K Harrison, and Moll Flanders, by Defoe (although with this last one you have to be careful which version you read as it has changed quite a bit over the last 200 years).

Sarah_Austin
Posted

You know reading these comments... a very uncommon mentioned writer these days is Ray Bradbury. And I just adore Fahrenheit 451. I keep a book of 101 Lost Stories of his above my nightstand.
Just thinking aloud I suppose. :P

Windi_McDaniel
Posted

i like hearing comments about the books people like, and why. i haven't read Ray Bradbury, maybe i'll check it out. I am always down for something new! I will let you know what i think.