MarkJB

Challenging 'Sexual Racism' Poll

Challenging 'Sexual Racism' Poll  

12 members have voted

1. 1. Challenging 'Sexual Racism' Poll

MarkJB
Posted

Following on from our article Challenging 'Sexual Racism' we ask the following question:

... Do you think that stating racial preference on a dating profile is racist?

Posted

I am gay and I have a boyfriend. we are frm Malaysians and we love each other to the core. But coming from an indian family, my boyfriend is pressured to get married or asking him if he has a girlfriend as his brothers all have a girlfriend. Yes, a stereotypical family. Hence, my boyfriend and I decided to look for an Indian Lesbian couple who also faces the same pressure in their family. So, we can get married for the sake of family as well as continue our LGBT life with our respected partners. Therefore, if you are a Lesbian Indian couple having the same issue, please contact me Asap. Thank you.

Tommy898
Posted

Most prejudices are are irratioal. Arguing an rational view is a total waste of time. There is more than enough bickering in the world; adding to the imbrogilo will not help. The best a person can do is to keep his divisive opinions to himself. Know that: on important matters, you and your lover see eye-to-eye. Celebrate the fact that you each has found a kindred spirit. Love does not answer all problems, but love is still best.

John_Thain
Posted (edited)

I don't see it as being racist as you're not offending anyone. Wouldn't it cause more upset/offense to lead someone on and make them think they stand a chance than to be honest and say "I'm not interested in (insert appropriate skin colour)"? I've always thought stating "preferences" was the opportunity to show what you're looking for in a potential match, so that people looking at your profile know what it is you want and can move on if they don't meet the criteria you've set.

Yes, there always will be people who think it's racist and that can't be avoided. It's happened to me here where I told an Asian guy that I don't find Asians attractive and he started calling me racist for rejecting him. So am I therefore supposed to say "yes I'd love to jump into bed with you"? which would be a lie for 1 and 2 goes back to my original point of leading people on and making them think they stand a chance when they don't.

Looking back on it, I think he was more annoyed at the fact that I wasn't interested in having sex with him, so he decided to play the race card. I've only ever encountered him once since then, and he was all apologetic as he'd come to realise I hadn't been racist in what I'd said, but by then for me it was too late as I was and still am annoyed with him for calling me racist for merely stating a preference.

Edited by John_Thain