Brave-Heart

IN THE SPIRIT OF THE SEASON

Posted

holiday-12-.jpg

(GATEWAY OFFICE)

Am I lucky?
I am 79 years old. I had congestive heart failure in 2000 and in 2008 had an aorta valve replacement. I have had about 6 stents put into my legs. I have been diagnosed with: Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD), Peripheral Artery Disease (also called peripheral arterial disease PAD), high cholesterol, high blood pressure, diabetes 2, psoriasis, diabetes 2, among other problems. I take 14 medicines every day plus 2 ‘as needed’.
And yet I look and act healthy and except for trouble with my legs when it comes to walking you would never know I had any problems.
I have had weight problems most of my life losing 100+ pounds when I was 31 and fight 25-30 pounds almost constantly. I smoked 2-3 packs of cigarettes a day for almost 60 years finally quitting in 2008 and haven‘t missed it since. I was a very heavy drinker finally realizing in 1981 I was an alcoholic and haven’t had a drink since. I abused my body with bad food, smoking, drinking, not exercising, among other things and, yet, here I am at 79 living a full life.
By all rights I should be very sick or even dead but I’m still here looking forward to waking up tomorrow morning ready to face the world and enjoy another day.
Am I lucky, or what, that “I’m Still Here” (as written by Stephen Sondheim.) And yes I know all the references! LOL
This version is sung by Yvonne DeCarlo who introduced this song on Broadway in “Follies” in 1971.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xbn9WYAA_iA