Gays against same-sex marriage

Posted

Hi there,
I live in a country where getting married, regardless of gender or sexual orientation hasn’t been an issue, since 2005! However, some members of our LGBT family are actually against same-sex marriage...not for the same reasons as the bible-bashers, but for some reason or another. What are your thoughts on this?

John_Thain
Posted

I think there will always be LGBT people who are against same-sex marriage in the same way that many in the heterosexual community feel heterosexual marriage is pointless (i.e. don't need a bit of paper to prove a relationship stuff). I personally think marriage should be there for those who want it, just as there's civil partnerships for couples who want that. I think getting married should be up to the couple to decide whether it's for them or not. I know I want to get married, just wish the right guy would hurry up.

Posted

I can't imagine why someone would like being discriminated against. Like John said, I can understand not wanting to get married, but I can't imagine why gays would want to stop same-sex marriage. My dads joke that they get fewer tax breaks now, but supporting your own discrimination? I'm not sure I would understand.

Andy102
Posted

I'm baffled with your question and I've tried to come up with the answer but the only thing I can come up with is to really ask that question to whom that person(s) who supports LGBT why do they not support same-sex marriage? And you'll find your answer.

Posted

As a gay man I am against same sex marriage when it mirrors opposite sex marriage--50 years ago when you met a gay male couple the first question asked was "Who is the wife?" and now we have 2 husbands--sorry but we are NOT heterosexuals with their words, ways and mores--we need to start anew with different ceremonies, 'tags', traditions, etc

Andy102
Posted

I understood what your saying about being labeled "who's the wife and who's the husband" that would be very well as one of the answer but I'm for pro-marriage. We want equal rights and privileges like any other heterosexual marriage couples have. As for starting a new ceremonies, tags, traditions, etc. Would a gay couple who are legally married introduce his partner as his wife? That goes with lesbian married couples, but I would definitely say "I would like you to meet my husband and he will do the same for me, its a normal thing, for me that is. The only one who can actually say that meet my husband or meet my wife are the ones who had a reassignment surgery.

Posted

I'm against calling it a gay marriage or same-sex marriage, why can't it just simply be a marriage? I understand it helps to whittle it down to a specific subject in marriage by calling it gay marriage of same-sex marriage, I'm all for people of the same gender being allowed to marry because it is equal rights, everyone should have the right to have a ceremony of love REGARDLESS of who they love! Thankfully in my country, Wales, same-sex marriage is now LEGAL! I'm so happy that I can now get married if I ever do find that special someone (I may have already found that one but who knows?)
So, yeah I believe in marriage regardless of who you are marrying!

Jersey_Boy_93
Posted

I have never met a person like that. But I tried to think of a reason why a person would be like that and I can't think of a great reason.