What kind of LGBT activist are you?

Posted

So, I was just wondering if you're one of those people who actively fight for gay rights by attending marches, rallies or making protests when anti-gay groups are making a stand? Or are you more of an armchair activist that fights quietly by using social media and signing online petitions, FBing, that kind of thing? Or, none of the above!

Which kind of activism do you think is the most successful?

Posted

I am more of the quiet activist. Mostly because I live in an area where we don't have marches and gatherings. I live in a very conservative and religious community in southern Colorado. If we had marches and rallies I would like to think I would take part in them but I cant afford to drive the major cities like Denver.

Posted

In 1948 at the age of 12 I came out, by the time I was 16 I was an 'in your face' activist--I am now 78 and still an 'in your face activist'--I don't stand by when I hear a 'gay' joke or insult or put down. I am proud to say I was with Larry Kramer when AIDS first hit the USA and worked handing out flyers in Greenwich Village and I have always donated to gay causes even when I was homeless and only had $5 in my pocket.
Too many gay people think 'allowing' gay marriage is the end all and be all of gay equality--it is only a small speck.
Heck Calvin I can't even respond without going into speech mode!!!! :O)

Posted

Hey Brave-Heart! Total respect for you and agreement! Obviously people from the older sections of the LGBT community have had a tougher time and witnessed a lot of friends dying from Aids, so perhaps they have been hit harder and for this reason have more desire to stand up for our rights? Saying that, I know a lot of very young people that do the same: maybe they just are fighting for what they believe is right and have a strong viewpoint. And then there are others that just don't care at all!

Posted

I am the kind of activist that learns all about the different things involving LGBTQ individuals such as pronouns, coming out issues, how each member of the L and the G and the B and T and also the Q Identify under the category. Informing those who do not know much about the community so that people are more likely to be accepting of the LGBTQ community. I am also knowledable in psychology and how the mind works which only furthers my interest in the LGBTQ community (Q meaning Queer or Questioning) Psychology makes everything fun!