Jonathan_E._Mills

PFLAG.. what to expect? - The Rainbow Lounge

Posted

Hello everyone. Tomorrow I am going to go to my first pflag meeting. I was wondering if anyone could tell me what to expect? I am gay and I'm looking for a group of people that I can feel accepted being around and possibly help others. I have read their page and what they are about. I am just unsure of what to expect. I have had to pretty much hide who I am all my life out of fear. I only let those who know me well, really know who I am. I live in a very conservative and religous area and always fear putting myself out there openly. Any advice or input would be a great help. Thanks!

Posted

Jonathan, just be yourself, relax and enjoy the company.
I had a look at your profile, you've got a lot of interests which is great and just take it easy. Don't expect anything in particular and be prepared to go to a few meetings so that people can get to know you. Often with groups that are new to us, it's a matter of gradually blending in. I think you'll be fine and all the very best.

Posted

Thank you, I always get the jitters when I am faced with stepping out of my comfort zone and meet new people.

Posted

Hi Jonathan and good luck on your adventure because that it what it is! :O) I have never been to a PFLAG meeting but have heard nothing but good about them--I have though gone to many different gay group meetings and John gave you good excuse--be yourself.
Now don't be surprised if you see someone you know--remember this is mainly for the PARENTS of gay children not primarily for gay people so in a way YOU might be very helpful to THEM!
Jonathan, I came out as a teenager in 1948--the whole world was 'conservative and religous--so I know it can be scary just take a few deep breathes and go in and take out of the experience what you need.
I am hoping you will come back and tell us how it went--besides I have a load of questions I want to ask you now but will wait!

Homer_Bozarth
Posted

nice people, and a good time to meet new friends

Posted

Okay, so here I go. I am almost ready to leave. Thank you all for your comments. This is why I joined gays.com, for encouragement and to met great people like all of you. I will be sure to keep you posted when I get back on how things went. Maybe what I find out will help someone else that stumbles upon this thread.

Michelle_Liberati
Posted

Have fun, be yourself and you'll be fine

Posted

All the very best Jonathan. Be yourself.

Brian_Howe
Posted

Yep Enjoy

Flash632
Posted

Hi Jonathan, PFlag are people, often Parents who's Son or Daughter have come out and they want to offer support to us who are gay and just coming out to ourselves. I belonged to a Chapter for several years and was both helped and learned how to help others. love, Patrick

Posted

So I finally find myself with enough spare time to write about my experience at my first PFLAG meeting. First and foremost I have to say what a wonderful group of people. I went expecting to see fumming, bewildered, shocked, and even outraged family members. What I found was people of all ages gathering together with a common cause...to seek support and give their own love and suppport. I meet people that were like me.. coming to their first meeting not knowing what they would be walking into. We were accepted and felt right at home. If you know of a PFLAG chapter near you, don't be affraid go join them and give your support and love. If you have any questions please ask me, I would love to hear from you all. Be safe everyone!

Brian_Howe
Posted

Cool, Glad it went so well

Posted

They are a great organization--glad you went--I am curious as to why you went--I understand to a certain degree from your first paragraph but you said you are in a relationship and that, at least, opens the floor for questions--also why PFLAG (don't get me wrong they are a great organization and maybe they have changed but originally they were for parents of gay kids--why not go to a gay oriented group- or aren't there any available? Not the end of the world if you don't answer--just wondering--we have a gay pride center here with over 50 different group meetings and I understand that is rare but I am thinking if there is a PFLAG meeting there would be some gay men meetings where you could also be yourself and accepted. :O)

Posted

Thank you Martin for the question as far as I know at this point in time there are no other groups around here that are a support group for the lgbt people. I live in a very conservitive area and it is all mostly small towns/communities. The nearest gay bar that I lnow of is almost a two hour drive. And nothing against the bar seen but its not really my thing. At the meeting I did learn of a lgbt youth program held at a school but yet again even that was no where near where I live. I hope this answered your question. Take care.

Posted

Thanks Jonathan--having been born, raised and came out in New York City my experience is/was completely different than yours--got to give you credit for what you are doing--glad you found PFLAG!

Posted

I'm glad I was lucky yo have found them. I hope they continue to grow and maybe somehow I can help to make that happen. This area needs them.