Ian_Anderson

"Friend Collectors" - Gay Guys! <3

Posted

When I first joined gays.com, I used to be quite selective about my "friends". My response to unsolicited friend requests was generally "Why on Earth would you want to be on my friend list when we've never even spoken?"... It took me a while to realise that some people just decide from viewing my profile that they'd like to be my friend... (Poor deluded souls!)

These days, I just tend to accept requests automatically, almost without looking at them.

I've noticed, however, that there seem to be an awful lot of what I call "Friend Collectors" here. They seem to spend most of their time adding new contacts to their friend lists, never to contact them again. They don't respond to "shoutouts", never comment in the discussion groups, rarely respond to private messages and don't even update their status. They seem to just sit there day after day making hundreds of friend requests and never doing anything else.

Can someone please tell me what pleasure or advantage is gained from this? Is it just a "My friend list is bigger than your friend list" thing, or is there something more to it?

Posted

Ian the whole 'friend' thing started with facebook--it became the 'in' thing among kids to see who could 'collect' the most friends on their page--then adults followed and now it is all over the Internet--I'll accept all request but I don't make any--there are a few blog sites tta have a 'for friends only' section and I don't bother requesting to be their friends--like my 'sex type' I have no type--I enjoy them all!!!
At one web site I have about 300 'friends'---I clear it out every once in awhile because most have left the site! Sob--they really didn't love ME!!! LOL

Posted

With me it's Quality and not Quantity

Michael_Wolfe
Posted

Ian when I first got on Gays.com many years ago I too want to have lots of friends and I even went as far as wishing everyone who had a birthday too then it got to the point were even those who I wish a happy birthday too didn't respone to my message and so I stop and took alot of friends off my list..Now when anyone ask me to be friends I message them or look at there profile and if they just have a few friends then I message them asking why and some say because you have so many friends that maybe I can ask them to be friends with me too..So as I am a meet & greeter here on the site I have people asking to be friends because of that,...So to answer your question I think they just want friends on there list and not really friends...I hate to say it that way...but then there are friends like you and Tach and Homer that have been on here just as long as me and we still keep in touch...

Michael_Wolfe
Posted

I also like it before the chat came in because we had alot of greet discussion in here now it seems that we don't discuss anything any more and just want to fight when others disagreed ...

Posted

"So as I am a meet & greeter"--stop being so modest Michael--you are more than that! :O)

Michael_Wolfe
Posted

Thanks Martin

Posted

That all makes sense. I just like to have friends who actually want to talk to me! Hehehe...

Michael_Wolfe
Posted

I am here for you...LOL

Tristram_Goncalves
Posted

I don't get it neither. They do the same thing on facebook. I don't bloody get it.

A.T_Kiani
Posted

I think some people just like to full their friend lists and dont care for who they're accepting or adding, but I always like to message them to know them better,

Posted

I have to admit to blindly accepting requests and not bothering to really see who they are. I tend to assume that if they've requested my friendship they'll tell me why in due course! I only usually send requests to guys I actually want to be friends with.

The worst part for an older guy like me who's into younger is that occasionally I'll get a friend request from some cute young lad, and then when I message him to say "Thanks", he tells me he's not into older guys... So why in all that's holy did you send me a request then??? lol As my Yorkshire friends would say, "There's nowt so queer as folk"!

Posted

Ian get down here to Fort Lauderdale (Wilton Manors)--you have to beat the young ones off with a stick--they fight over the old guys!!!!

Posted

Now that I'd like to see... (So long as it's not "handbags at dawn"... Can't stand "camp"...). So long as they realise, I'll probably take the loser rather than the winner, because I'll feel sorry for him! ;-)

Posted

There are no losers--enough young men to go around and most don't know 'camp'--that's young!!! LOL

Posted

Can't you just crate up a few and ship them over here? Being a "retirement destination" we have a surfeit of old guys for them! I'll even volunteer to test them all out on arrival... Hehehe

Posted

Ian, promise them no winter and maybe!!!! LOL

Posted

That's one thing I CAN promise! The Canary islands don't have a "winter". They stay pretty constantly between about 24 and 34 degrees, except for the occasional heat-wave!

Posted

That's what you have to emphasize--they like it HOT!

Posted

I don't know where your mind is--I'm talking about the weather!!!

Posted

My mind is in the gutter... but I'm looking up at the stars! ;-)

Posted

So long as you weren't lying underneath them at the time...