Ian_Anderson

Wentworth Miller - Gay Guys! <3

Posted

I just want to praise Wentworth Miller, the actor from "Prison Break" for his courage in publically "coming out" in order to highlight the problems in Russia.

For those who are unaware, he turned down an offer to be the guest of honour at this year's St Petersburg International Film Festival, saying:

"As someone who has enjoyed visiting Russia in the past and can also claim a degree of Russian ancestry, it would make me happy to say yes. However, as I gay man, I must decline.

I am deeply troubled by the current attitude toward and treatment of gay men and women by the Russian government. The situation is in no way acceptable, and I cannot in good conscience participate in a celebratory occasion hosted by a country where people like myself are being systematically denied their basic right to live and love openly.

Perhaps, when and if circumstances improve, I'll be free to make a different choice. Until then.

Wentworth Miller."

Well done, Wentworth!

Posted

I second that!

Posted

I'm sorry Ian--yes everyone has to decide on their own when to come out but why didn't he come out when he was a 'star'? Why come out now when his work offers are scarce? Am I being cynical? Jaded? Probably but we need more Neil Patrick Harris, Ellen Degenerous who come out when they are on top not fading away--Does Queen Latifah or Kevin Spacey really think they are in the closet? Did Nathan Lane have to come out? Why did Lily Tomlin wait so long and then say "I thought everyone knew"--the more people know of a gay person the more we can get equal rights.
Yes I think Miller coming out is great even if it is self-serving. :O)

Posted

I don't see it as self-serving at all, Martin. If you read the whole post, you'll understand that he did it in support of the Russian LGBT community, because they are currently facing anti-gay legislation. He was putting the community ahead of himself, and I think that is worthy of praise.

Posted

I don't agree but that's okay--he made the gesture which many haven't. I know why he did it but I feel (that's my being cynical!) it was done for an additional reason

Keith_Imeson
Posted

the more people to come out the better

Posted

I agree, Keith. I know a lot of people ask why it should be necessary to "come out" at all, but unfortunately, so long as there are homophobic people and regimes in the world, we need to show a "public face". What I'd like to see is more sportsmen coming out. Soccer and American Football players are still traditionally seen as very homophobic groups, when the truth is that there are certainly a lot more gay men involved in those sports than most people realise.

Posted

Ian, sadly most athletes who come out have to come out AFTER they are finished playing or they would lose all their endorsement money/chances though many movie 'stars' have shown that it is possible to come out and keep on working--of course people will/do accept actors as being gay while they won't accept the quarterback that way.
I think it was Brando who said that the day you become a star is the day it is rumored that you are gay!

Posted

I wouldn't know.

Keith_Imeson
Posted

hope is great, change is slow

Posted

Hi