Chud

Calling all book publishers! - Gay Guys! <3

Posted

Can I have some advice from the book publishers please?
How did you go about publishing your book?
I've done some research and some are gonna cost me an arm and a leg (over a thousand quid!) and others are free but I think they're tryna rip me off by saying I'll only get 10% of the profits and apparently the best selling authors only get that anyway! I kinda doubt that myself...
So can you help me please, how did you go about publishing your book?
How much did it cost?
How much percentage of profits do you get?
All information will be greatly appreciated

Dave_Mack
Posted

As you are in the UK I'd try finding the email for JK Rowling, the lady who wrote the Harry potter Books. I am sure she can give you sound advice.

Posted

She may not reply cause she gets a lot of E-Mails from everyone, that's the difficulty I have

Dave_Mack
Posted

Perhaps but if your don't TRY you will never know. Come up with an unusual heading that would attract her attention.

Posted

I'll give it a try, if I can find a way of getting in touch with her

David_Cloud
Posted

Richard, I would Google 'self-publish', for instance I believe Amazon do a self publish and then give you the opportunity to sell through Amazon.

David_Cloud
Posted

I have also looked briefly at a site called Blurb - I think it's USA-based but you can pick a size format for your book plus method of upload etc and they give you costs for print-offs etc.

Posted

I would like to have some advice from book publishers. I need to know how much their package deals cost and what they'll do for me as a writer.

Posted

Richard & Mark look up e-publishers on the Internet--that is the way the publishing field is going today--'real' publishers are picking up books that way and publishing them--very few publishers are publishing hard copies of books from unproven authors---just a suggestion--go to authorshouse.com see what they have to offer which will give you a base to compare---Richard don't let the 10% throw you but publishers get the major portion of the profits until a certain point.
The business has changed completely in the past 10 years--and e-books are the 'best sellers'
Good luck--and get use to rejection---I have had 8-9 books published in 41 years and have shown a minor profit which is rare but possible--very few of the millions of writers get published and even fewer make money--very few are in the Rowling, King, Patterson, etc.category of riches.

Timothy_Brown
Posted

I was going to suggest Amazon as David Cloudesley did. A friend of mine do.id a self-publishing job through Amazon. It worked very well for him. They took 30% and he got 70%. Not a bad deal.

Posted

Hmmm, interesting, thanks guys

Posted

I went through authorhouse.com. (They have both in the US and the UK.) I bought the simple package, and it cost me $700. I was pretty satisfied.

Posted

Jack at the time I went through them I also got a deal of 20 hardcover copies free--Skip who 'took care of me' (I wish--a great guy! LOL) is no longer with them but you can 'wheel and deal' with the agent