Steer ho! you Caliban--
take us home.

I am not pledge
I am of the skin of Van Weyden

Wrestle with the mad
before the depths consume me.

Tristram_Goncalves
Posted

I like it but I don't understand it. Who are Caliban and Van Weyden. I do know what a ho is, back in Brockton they worked the corner where the bus stop is.

Posted

Caliban was a monster figure from Shakespeare's the Tempest. Van Weyden is an upper-class literary critic in the novel I am presently reading: Jack London's The Sea Wolf.

As for the term "ho," upon reading your response, I think I'll leave it up to you to ponder that one.

Tristram_Goncalves
Posted

Serves me right for being illegitimate and not well read cuz of it, or is that illeterate? The only Shakespeare I ever suffered thru was a sadistically boring piece called Romeo and Juliet which they forced me to read at gun point in the ninth grade. It was a boring and inane as the teacher Mr. Brigioli. I read some Jack London thing about a dog once.

I just have one question, I know how you pimp a ho, but how do you steer one, do they have a rudder like a boat?

Posted

I just looked it up on thefreedictionary.com. 1: The symbol for the element holmium. 2: abbr. Bible Hosea. 3:Used to express surprise or joy, to attract attention to something sighted, or to urge onward. 4: Slang A prostitute. [African American Vernacular English, alteration of whore.]

That is verbatim. That is what is written there. You can check it yourself. I did not make this up.

Posted

My poem relies heavily on the third definition.

Tristram_Goncalves
Posted

You forgot as a chant, HO Ho Ho from Santa Claus for being merry.

Tristram_Goncalves
Posted

It's also Italian for "I"

Posted

So, how would you translate "Ho ho?" I am a prostitute?

Tristram_Goncalves
Posted

Do you make money at it or are you still giving out the free samples?

Posted

with what?

Tristram_Goncalves
Posted

Being a prostitute, altho considering how great your date is you might have to retire them walking shoes!

Posted

ok guys enough, your both my friends and neither is a mermaid, thats an original term, as for being whore or sex worker, i was once, so please no more insults on that one.
Onward Ho! into the breech, to hell and back! thats the sort of jolly thing once shouted or at least what some would think to put in prose, like onward ho rode the 600 into the jaws of death,its not used now, its old school, nothing to do with education or being illeterate.
As for sea wolf, its on video now, so you can watch it, in glorious black and white, with the ghostly mist wrapped around it, its quite atmospheric, you get a sense of forboding and the doom to sail for ever, never seeing safe port, a ship of hell and all on it doomed to hell.
the author also wrote other books similar to melville's moby dick, all about the hell ships, life at sea was rough, lots died.
but anyway the seawolf, was a ship of hell, based on the whaling fleets at the time in the atlantic and polar ice, it was a rough life.
Once read a book about a ships mate, he and the rest of the crew became trapped in ice, and the capt, and some of the crew froze to death before the got free of the ice, and the mate got frostbite in his toes, well no medical available, so using a sharp knife amputated his toes, no anestetic either, and used whale gut to seal the wound with stitches, cauterising was by traditional method, fire.

Posted

the link above is the trailer for seawolf.

Posted

Thanks, Ailean. I think it's been made into a film about eight times.

Posted

Jack London appears in one of the film versions.

Tristram_Goncalves
Posted

@Ailean, wasn't insulting sex workers, never would, it's the crappiest of jobs, altho all employers fuck you one way or another. I used to do street outreach to sex workers, providing a drop-in center to stay warm on a winter's day while enjoying a coffee and an AIDS test and more sex supplies.

Posted

did not think either of you were, but others are watching what we post, and 2 nice guys getting upset about nothing,( well with the stiff upper lip) its not the done thing ol boy! col blimp style.
Cant remember where i have it converted a lot of old films into dvd, got the collection with saboteur by hitchcox, made in 1909, from the film archive, and various black and white epics no longer available.
the film with which the original was shot is disintergrating thats why the old films are not available, and books are now digital, but some of the best ones are not on digital yet, so i still read paper books, anyway have large collection of them.
@tristam, my fellow traveller, yes capitalist bosses f*** you over, there the slave master.
as for the girls and guys that are creatures of the night, it takes guts to risk there life for money, toms sometimes kills for money as police and society dont care.
Game grand theft auto, kill the prostitute for money in that game, a game that my son played when he was only 11, did not think it was funny, but he did, so how many others thought that was a laugh, anyway wiped the smile of his face when i said what if in real life that was your mum you just killed! he got my point, but i bet you others never bothered.
As for hiv test i get that every 6mths, need it to know i am still not positive, so at least i can still have some cum fun. he he .

Tristram_Goncalves
Posted

My grandson played Grandtheft auto, and promised me he knew that it was bad to carjack, kill hookers and cops and smash up other cars. I played Crazy Taxi or some such thing cuz I could run other cars off the road. I still want a James Bond car so I can use the missles to get thru a traffic jam.

Posted

James Bond car? Not a Gadgetmobile?

Posted

tristram much better of with a harley-davidson, and the electra-glide model is nice, as for traffic jams, just get the james bond jet pack, or more down to earth a helicopter and fly over the jams.
Or move where there is less people, and more space.
Me i would move somewhere my local gay bar and club was in walking distance if i had the equity.
preferbly near where a lot of my friends were, and that would mean leaving scotland, either for england or the states, and i would miss the glens and hills of scotland.

Tristram_Goncalves
Posted

That or a Sherman tank, not a patient person, from Massachusetts where we invented road rage.

Posted

He He why not a king tiger they have one at tank museum in the states only problem they leak fuel like a sieve, as for sherman tank,the brit name for them was ronson,and wont bother with german name its worse,when crews saw german tank,it was doubtful if they would survive.
The same was true when meeting T34, or a stalin tank,both deadly and great for getting past Traffic jams.