Yum - Get HAPPY

Posted

I'm not much of a chef but I have some things that I can whip up that'd drive anyone into an eating frenzy, and my new thing recently has become pickling fish. (I actually got the idea when researching the history of catsup.) I am experimenting at the moment. The first one had too much pickling spice in it, but the batch I just finished eating this afternoon had some sugar. It had a better taste than the first.

I try to invite people to taste it, though--just taste it--and they're afraid. Nobody wants to try my pickled fish. I get it all to myself, then, and it's smurfing yummy!

Posted

Having been in the restaurant business I quickly learned how to cook--had a great teacher--he owned the first restaurant I ever worked in and he insisted all servers cook and taste everything served--being an Italian place it was a HUGE menu--it did awaken my cooking skills!
I make the best from scratch Ceaser salad, shrimp scampi, linguini with white clam sauce, veal rollatini and Salti-em,-boca--my favorite meal to cook for guests use to be a prime rib with Yorkshire pudding.
Due to too much sodium intake anything pickled is out of the question for me! :O)

Michael_Denne_63855
Posted

Have a recipe from South Africa for Cape Malay dish called "curried pickled fish"…will dig it out and share it with you….

Michael_Denne_63855
Posted

Ingredients
1.75 kg Cape salmon, cob, kingklip or any dry white fish
salt and pepper
125 ml (½ c) sugar
15 ml (1 T) turmeric
45 ml (3 T) medium curry powder
20 ml (4 t) salt (or to taste)
2.5 ml (½ t) cayenne pepper (optional)
750 ml (3 c) vinegar
125 ml (½ c) water
4 medium-sized onions, thinly sliced
6 crushed lemon or bay leaves
Servings: 8
Method

1. Fillet the fish.
2. Sprinkle lightly with salt and pepper.
3. Mix the sugar, curry powder, turmeric, salt, cayenne pepper, vinegar and water in a large flat-bottomed saucepan (do not use an iron or aluminium saucepan).
4. Add the onion rings and lemon leaves and allow to cook for 20 – 30 minutes.
5. Carefully place the fish fillets in the mixture, ensuring that they are well covered, and cook for a further 20 minutes or until done. Baste with the curry sauce from time to time and turn the fillets if necessary.
6. Pack the fish in layers in jars or an enamel dish, covering each layer completely with the hot curry sauce. Pour over the remaining sauce and allow to cool. Seal and store in a cool place. The fish is ready to eat after 2 or 3 days.
TIP
• If preferred, add any of the following spices and seasonings to taste: whole coriander seeds, black peppercorns, whole allspice, whole cloves, chillies or fresh ginger.

Michael_Denne_63855
Posted

Try it ...and tell me what you think…lovely mild subtle flavours?

Tristram_Goncalves
Posted

How old was you in your new pic, you was so cute! I am a good cook but do mostly what my gourmand friend calls Peasant Culinary. I cook the standard Italian dishes, I do many Portuguese dishes, and some Yankee cooking. I am a good baker, but my cakes look like hell, not a decorator but I do good pies; Sweet Potato and Chocolate chip, but fruit pies as well. Learned from my mother, grandmothers and great-grandmother, favorite summer dish is Under-the-sea-salad, Don't care for pickled stuff, use relish sparingly, but since it aint strictly pickled in our sense love pickled mango, very spicy from Pakistan.

Michael_Denne_63855
Posted

Which new pic you mean? I change my pics like my underwear ! Got so many photos over the years to choose from.. but one here now with me in doorway mirror I took just other week. I'm wearing my new RUFSKIN ZIGGY SILVER skin tight jeans bought online from CheapUndies.com … here is link to their site…. http://www.cheapundies.com/mens-denim_c_30.html You like them ? They feel so sexy when worn. It took only 8-9 days mailing from Norfolk VA USA to here. They sell here for more than twice the price there - even with postage fee? Why... because Australia is located at arse end of the world !!!

Posted

Do people still wear underwear???? I've been going commando for 40+ years--ever since I left a pair behind when his wife came home! LOL

Tristram_Goncalves
Posted

@Micheal, sono spiacente, I meant Jack's new picture but thanks for the info but I also go commando since my best friend seduced me when I was 14 and found them a hinderance to staring sex. Christopher, however continued to wear his tight lacy little undies, he was a lady, so to speak.

@Jack, how old was you, you was so cute?

@Martin, LOL, I hate leaving things behind for wives and lovers to find, serves the guys right to get caught tho, "I am not seeing anyone else!" Yea, and I'm a bloody virgin! But ya gotta love them nauighty boys!

Posted

Michael, thanks for the recipe. Tristram, I was 14 years old in that pic from the high school cross country team. I won't tell you how old that pic is, though. You can think that over on your own.

Tristram_Goncalves
Posted

@ Jack, Oh, if we had only met when we was fourteen, or maybe I woulda been much older than you.

Posted

Tristram, just between you and me (I don't think I was alive when you were 14!) Too bad, huh?

Tristram_Goncalves
Posted

Probly not!