Facebook Attack! - The Rainbow Lounge

Posted

My sister-in-law and I have been at odds for several years. She stopped inviting me to her house, and I forbade my daughter from having contact with her sons. We also have very opposing religious views. A couple years ago, she went through the family grape vine to ask my forgiveness before Yom Kippur, probably at the advice of her therapist. I agreed to forgive her, why not, but the Cold War continued anyway. When I was there a couple months ago, I brought her a promotional code for an e-copy of my book as a peace offering. Of course, she botched the whole thing up, losing the code, which means I basically wasted a copy of my novel. Now, she has invited me to be friends on Facebook. I only use Facebook anyway as a way to promote my novel and very little more, but I don't know if I really need her as a friend there. If she likes my fanpage, that's enough for me. That's all I really can ask of anyone. Then, what am I obligated to her if we are "friends on facebook? Big deal, whoopdidoo.

Liz_Duffy
Posted

Am at logger heads with my cousin because I started to notice that she would slag people off even members of the family including me as a bad mother. In the end I deleted her off my FB and she took that as an insult since I have other members on but so what? She's still your sister on FB and off. How about skip the computer, find a room and scream the problems out.

Posted

When I had a personal fb account a few years ago, my sister-in-law and I were fb friends. One day, she made a rude comment, and I just deleted her. Simple as that. Well, she went running to her mother that I deleted her as a friend on fb. Poor thing. Couldn't really get a grip on reality that she does not know how do deal with human beings on a mature, rational level.

Flash632
Posted

Hi Jack, I have learned from experience with my family that it is far better to try to just get along with everyone and not get caught up in all the bull shit. Just try to keep your mouth shut and listen and agree. This way you keep your inner peace. Patrick

Tristram_Goncalves
Posted

I tell relatives like that that they are dead to me (It's the Italian, we love to hold grudges). I try to smooth the waters over after THEY have apologized, Usually, what we fought about comes up again and right back to square one. I never tell others how to feel, I just bitch about so-and-so cuz I know it'll get back to them. Maybe my grandkids are right, I am a mean old man, oh well life is not a popularitycontest.

Flash632
Posted

I think that your kids are right about you, Tristram.

Posted

Hmm that kinda sounds like the run around I had with my mothers sister. She is a major gay basher and has never approved of who I am. She has tried on Facebook time and time again to get me to simply "stop being gay" ... so after a while I simply told her I'm who I am. she can't change that and she won't change that aboutme. It gotaot uglier between us. I eventually deleted and blocked her. And when my mother she has my mom try and keep tabs on me I tell her not to say anything. I found ignoring people like that makes life a lot less stress full.

Posted

Patrick, I must agree with you. Not about Tristram but about letting things slide. My best friend and I disagree on the same political issue on which my sister-in-law and I agree, but I just let him have his opinions. Unfortunately, my sister-in-law is incapable of respecting any opinions contrary to her own, and that's where things start with her. Her kids, also, are hellions, simple two-legged animals. You are correct, though. I should just let it slide of my back, nod my head and say, "Okay, okay," and leave it at that. Now that we no longer live in the same city, that can be much easier to do, too.

Tristram_Goncalves
Posted

I am not good about letting things slide, and I am a mean old man, and they have the good manners and good behavior that I taught them while being a mean old man. Not a forgiver or forgetter. I'd rather be right than popular.

Posted

Good axiom, Tristram. Quite often.

Tristram_Goncalves
Posted

I hate to admit to my educational limits, but what is an axiom?

Posted

A statement that is self-evidently true.

Tristram_Goncalves
Posted

Thank you for your answer, life is about learning something new everyday.