Mark_Brisby

Gay Friendly Debut Fantasy Novel - Writers Nook

Mark_Brisby
Posted

Recent self-published author from VA looking to expand my audience. I have written a fantasy novel called "Untoward" set in a pseudo medieval Europe, heavily involved with magic and gay friendly. Currently available at amazon, kindle, and Barnes and Noble dot com. Here is the synopsis:

Daumis always knew that turning thirteen was unlucky, but when he sees Denizens (evil magicians who kidnap children) he decides to stop them from abducting someone else. When he stumbles into a botched rescue of Cewyn, the son of the local duke, he is also captured, starved, and tortured for his pluck.

Enter hero Tadrec, a graduate of a prestigious magical university, recently the only member of his party to survive a cursed artifact. He is stoned on witchreed and morning his friends with absolutely nothing to do. When he’s asked by the president of his alma mater to rescue Daumis and Cewyn because they’re the most powerful magicians to be born in a century, he agrees. For a price.

Tadrec, Daumis, and Cewyn must encounter golems, insane monks, cannibals, giant badgers, an undead army, and a demigod all just before they can reach the magical, floating city of Horizon. Not to mention the fact that they are in company that they do not necessarily like, trust, or can even stand in the form of a pompous Citizen who used to pick on Tadrec, an old, blind seer who likes to spit on people, a drunken minstrel, a homicidal metal shard, the sickeningly-perfect teacher and student combo, and a royal vizier who just doesn’t want to go bald. With the forces of evil gaining ground from behind them, no matter what all the three of them go through, it always seems to Tadrec and the boys that their destination moves ever-farther away from them…In fact, it flies.

If anyone would like to read and review the book, I would be happy to send you an epub or mobi file to load onto your Kindle.

Thanks!

Posted

How's it going? Having any luck?

Mark_Brisby
Posted

Well not really on here yet. I'm selling them slowly and have gotten some bloggers to add it to their reading queue so I can get a review from them. Only have a good review from someone I don't know on Amazon from March 28th, but that's about it.

Posted

I got a small royalty check a few weeks ago, and apparently two ecopies were already sold elsewhere than my publisher. Hoping to get a color poster printed up tomorrow, which I'll start hanging up around the city.

Mark_Brisby
Posted

Color posters are awesome! How many are you getting? Is it easy to advertise in NYC?

My royalties are direct deposited after about 6 weeks; unless they are from Canada, then I get a check.

Posted

I just made my own little thing on the computer with some help from a coworker. Havent had time to go print them, but it should not be so expensive, then I'll just hang them up all over the city--bliboards, trains.

Posted

A dollar a page!

Mark_Brisby
Posted

That's not bad. Have you put them up yet?

Posted

For that price, I haven't been able to print them yet. I don't want to make just ten. I live in New York City, so I need to make a few. Getting paid on Monday, so I'll get it together next week. Then, things should start rolling. I'd love to advertise on the signs on the subway, but there is a minimum signs to order, and it costs several thousand dollars. My first royalty check was barely five pounds, so traditional advertising is unfortunately not yet feasible. That's how these things go, I guess. Just have to keep a-workin'.

Posted

I just printed ten last night. It's a start. I'm going to put them up on the trains, perhaps one or two around Union Square. (There's a big Barnes and Noble there. People will see the signs and go into Barnes and Noble to inquire. Maybe.) In a week or so, I'll make more and continue until I at least earn back the money I spent on the signs. Ha!

Mark_Brisby
Posted

That's great that you go some out there! You should get a lot of exposure in the busy intersections. We had a swim meet at my work this weekend, and I was able to sell two books in person. Many people took either a free bookmark or business card with the book info on it. I'm pleased all the way around.

Great idea about posting an excerpt from your book in the "Your Writes" section. I'm totally gonna do that too.

Posted

Put up a sign last night in an elevator. If I have time tonight to take a train ride, I'll start posting on the trains.

Mark_Brisby
Posted

Excellent, man! Keep at it and they'll be everywhere.