Family - Get HAPPY

Posted

I was out shopping yesterday and I walked past someone on her phone she was speaking very loud so I heard a little of her conversion I didn't mean to I just couldn't help it.
I heard her say "I wish I didn't have to deal with them and I wish they didn't excited same because they are family"
That started all sorts of thoughts to run through my head.
I don't think my family is that bad I'd wish them away but they are not perfect either no one is. They do seem to have their exceptions or is it they have hopes and dreams for me.
Maybe I wasn't the perfect kid either growing up but I could have been a lot worse.
I was shy and had a low self esteem like many kids. Maybe it was the feeling of 'is there something different about me? I didn't feel like I fit in at all.'
I spent a lot of my time in my bedroom with my music collection. OK so kids take their music with them now. My mum didn't drive and my dad worked a six days a week so my brothers and I would go exploring along the local creek. So I was a bit of a tom boy, I'll never forget the day my older brother killed a snake with a huge branch and we proudly brought it back home to show mum.
I have two brothers one older and one younger both our busy with their own lives so I mainly only see them at Christmas and Easter.
My dad passed away almost twenty years now of leukaemia ( he had A.L.L it's different to mine I have C.M.L which is not cured yet but under control)
So all and all I had a pretty good childhood.
Mum and dad were very loving and caring. I think a good childhood makes us who we are and if its good we turn out ok if you have a bad one well you spend the rest of your life trying to sort yourself out. Some rise to the challenge of making themselves better people but sadly others blame the world for all their problems.
OK enough about me lets hear what you think.
Tell us about your families and don't worry no one is perfect but its fun to remember some of the crazy thing about our families sometimes.

Ola_Gordon
Posted

one of my fav memories of my chidhood is of my maternal grandmother (who as a teenager with her parents fled stalins russia) taking me to the monsters of rock music festival to see metalica wearing a t shirt,jeans and a leather jacket headbanging with the best of them.i was once asked what i wanted to be when i grew up and i answered "my grandmother" lol

Indiana_Dolly
Posted

Hey,

About my family, I've learnt from mistakes everyone around me made. Why? Because 18 years ago till now, is the amount of time I've both lost my biological parents. Living with my paternal family, I never really had the chance to explore the maternal side of my family since the age of 8. So due to that, there are just so many things you learn along the way, forgetting the fact that you've ever lost your parents. Everyone in your community is just another type of parent to you, in a way of another. So, I've then adjusted myself in knowing that it's not just you who suffers the pain, everyone does. All you have to do is, endure it and move on.

-Indie-

Debbie_Dibble
Posted

My childhood was so far from good. There are some spotty happy memories. I have spent endless years physically alone and then alone within relationships. When 4 family members past on in 2003 was the worst for me. Since both my mom and grandmother were two of the four I felt very lost and alone. What was left of my family (2 brothers) fell apart. My one brother never calls and the other I will only hear from around Christmas.

Family for me has turned out to be true friends who have loved me into their families. My buddy, his wife and sons, his parents have made me a sister/daughter. My best surprise in life has been my wife. I wasn't looking for anyone and had been deeply hurt but that's when it happened. I so love my wife and her youngest son and I are the best of friends. I now have 2 sons, 2 daughters and 2 grandaughters! Ok, honesty, I'm not sure about being called a grandmother but having both those precious babies fall asleep upon my chest has softened that resolve a bit.

I guess what I'm saying is, there are people who would really love for you to be a part of their lives, like a family but are you ready to be a family member. It's always a choice.

Posted

I didn't have the greatest family background, but the family I had was always supportive, and they gave me a lot of love in light of the troubles that I had as a child. When I became more religious and left the country, we naturally grew more distant. I haven't seen any of them now in ten years simply because of geography. A few years ago, my sister started to tell me that the whole family is dysfunctional and always has been, kinda shattered the image I always had had of our family. She and my mother are at odds. My parents are now in the middle of a messy divorce after twenty-some years of marriage, my sister on my dad's side, and I just sit over here on the east coast with a family of my own and stressors of my own and thank G-d that I don't have to deal with their garbage.

Indiana_Dolly
Posted

Family is just another phase in our lives that helps define who we are, but the rest of the work is for us to trace the destination; and look forward to hopefully get there. The rest is a long lost piece of History.

-Indie-

Posted

Amen to that, Indie.