Learning to be brave - Get HAPPY

Posted

When you learn to be brave enough to do what you want to do you start to live your life.
Some people live their whole lives trying to please others.
When we are young we are told we have to conform but if we step away from the crowd who tell us "no you can't be different" then we truly start to become who we really are.
Dare to be brave.

Posted

carol your first sentence answers this whole question, on facebook there is a site "coming out or showing support, some on here will understand that site as they like myself follow this group, some on their are of various ages as young as 11, and as old as 21, most are youth, and it always seems to be along the same lines as we once asked "help", in these days in the uk that was a phone helpline, now closed down, due to the internet being used and groups on facebook. Its all very well saying be brave, but the fear of being caught, taunted and bullied, cast out by parents and family is still ever present, even if being lesbian or gay is no longer frowned upon, it seems more acceptable to the majority, at least in U.S & Canada & Europe, only in islamic and ex soviet union countries and in parts of africa is it still considered a crime.
You and a few others from this site are in the group so you know what i mean, but it is differcult being brave, many of the girls & guys on this site all had that pressure of conformity put on them by family and peer groups, and we buckled under , got married, had kids, divorced, and came out.
over a period of time outlooks and conditions change, time stands still for no-one, and neither does love, that takes a lot of work in any relationship, we have even seen that on this site, believe it or not its only been a year, since i asked you to join the rainbow lounge & you started the get happy group,then i had to leave, and what happened then to me other friends got me involved in other groups on facebook, if one can be brave and get involved you can help others, but only as long as you understand there is a difference between saying and doing.
"dare to be brave" yes fine but not foolhardy, on the street no friends or support, open to abuse by strangers, forced on drugs and into prostitution, in order to live, no i would rather you stayed hidden and had some support only when you have your own means of support then come out.
last year in the guys room was a discussion, it was about transgender, how could she tell him she used to be a he, gene , a nice guy posted his god dont make mistakes, that to me was wrong, guess that was the point i started to refuse to hide anymore, but even on facebook this argument is used time and again where transgenders are seen merely as meat, to be used and abused, a guy wanting to be a woman, well to me its a poor reflection on what normal guys think of women, still the same old cliche; women are regarded as property, and 2nd class citizens, so in some things the world may seem to have changed, but amoungst the older generation much still needs to be done in lgbt & womens rights.
One final point the term transgender is wrong to use, transsexual is the right term, and this info i got face to face in the group i am part of in real life, not online, yep thats right folks, i have real friends in the community, not just online, and we are trying to expand the groups in scotland, i hope others are doing the same elsewhere.

Tommy_Storey
Posted

Being Brave and being one self is every ones
birth right ........

Posted

yes tommy, but the three of us have found out the hard way, and how does one tell the youth, even if they listened would not accept what you say, mabey in 20 years time yes, not everyone is brave, until you conquer the fear, you wont be free, as for birth right, what doctors did with me denied me my birth right, even now tommy, and we have both met each other face -face, i look like a guy, despite not being one, even lori stated i looked good as a ftm , a guy, imagine how that feels, it may be to late for me now, if i had met this problem 20yrs ago, mabey i would have had a chance, now just have to live with the stares and sniggers i feel behind my back, even at work.

Tommy_Storey
Posted

Yes i agree with you Ailean ,,,,,,,, Tommy .. xxx

Posted

I think we live in a changing world now people are learning to accept others for who they are. This is happening slowly, of course they are still many who because of their lack of understanding do stare. This is why I think Ailean you are so brave.
The young people of today are more willing to stand up and be proud.
When I was young I think everyone just wanted to blend in and not be different to the point of being bullied and beaten up. Even words cut so deep it was easier to just hide away. So I think we will be seeing more older people coming out and wanting to be true to themselves.

Debbie_Dibble
Posted

I was always the one who felt the need to please others. I may be a bit late in that type of bravery but seriously just got so so sick of what others think or how they want to judge. Not it's like "get over it" or "get out of my life".

For young people these days we have more organizations for them to help them along their journey and I commend the youth of today for being much braver then I was then.